Forbidden Planet (and Shadow Swords)

Fun Guy from Yuggoth

Jumping back to Lovecraft for a second, the Black Goat alien tree in the Tree on the Hill is described as being a huge wooden hand with talons or claws reaching out to grab the protagonist (and the tree is a gateway to hell).  And the crabs from The Whisperer in Darkness worship the Black Goat of the Woods, and they can fly through space on vast membranous wings.  And I knew that craob means "tree" but I just found out that crob means "claw, hand, talon, hoof"

And the feet of the crabs are described as being horns or claws.  So the horns of the black goat are just arms or branches.

Weirwoods are described as hands and fists of a subterranean giant punching up through the Earth, and their leaves are bloody hands.

And crob is directly under cro which means "eye, blood, gore, death, ring/enclosure/prison" among other things.  The Gods Eye = crow.

And Clarence Crabb uprooted trees and threw them into the air.

A satanic alien telepathic space tree, that is associated with black goats and crabs due to mistranslations.  The tree doesn't have hooves, it has claws/hands. and the tree isn't a crab, it is a craob.  It doesn't have horns, it has branches.

The devil doesn't have hooves and horns, he has branches.  Which brings us back to the Garden of Eden with a devil/snake/tree.

On 10/6/2021 at 12:11 PM, Egged said:

Ooh Hodor being the knight, with the quotes you listed, would make a lot of sense!

I have posted this before, that I think the Knight of the Laughing Tree story was "inspired" by events in the series Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn.  There was a character named Tiamak* who is a marsh man who is small, who lives in a little hut on stilts in the swamp (a crannog), and he is associated with crocodiles, and one day he gets in his little boat and leaves the marsh, which very few of his people do.  He goes to a meeting place and meets up with the Northman Isgrimner (Isegrim is a wolf from the medieval story Reynard the Fox). 

The marsh lad goes for a walk by himself and gets cornered by three religious zealots who are going to beat him to death.  And he gets saved by Ceallio--the simpleminded mute giant, who is "the Doorkeeper"--Ceallio is actually Camaris--the greatest most chivalrous  knight of the age--who suffered a brain injury 40 years ago and lost his identity, and has essentially been living in obscurity as Hodor for 40 years (a man who is like Hodor who is a Doorkeeper--he holds the doors, hmmm, and Camaris is a very close parallel to Arthur Dayne, camaoir means "dawn" in gaelic, and he has a magic sword made from a meteor, and camaran means "idiot" and cam means "bend, bent, and deceit")

So a little marsh man is saved from 3 bullies by a mystery knight, who is a simple-minded mute giant who has lost his identity from brain injury, who beats the shit out of them.  At the time I couldn't make any particular sense out of the associations of Hodor being the mystery knight.  But if it was Bran skinchanging Hodor through the weirwood network then it makes perfect sense.  Hodor was the Knight of the Laughing Tree.  Hodor is a simple-minded, (almost) mute giant, who loses his identity when Bran takes over his body, and he defends the crannogman.  Bran acting through Hodor also defends the crannogman Jojen when they are going north.

*tiamak probably comes from the gaelic words starting with teagma__ which mean variously "chance event"  and "meet" and "assembling, putting together" because the chance event of discovering that Camaris (Arthur Dayne) was still alive changed the whole course of events in the series.

38 minutes ago, By Odin's Beard said:

I have posted this before, that I think the Knight of the Laughing Tree story was "inspired" by events in the series Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn.  There was a character named Tiamak* who is a marsh man who is small, who lives in a little hut on stilts in the swamp (a crannog), and he is associated with crocodiles, and one day he gets in his little boat and leaves the marsh, which very few of his people do.  He goes to a meeting place and meets up with the Northman Isgrimner (Isegrim is a wolf from the medieval story Reynard the Fox). 

The marsh lad goes for a walk by himself and gets cornered by three religious zealots who are going to beat him to death.  And he gets saved by Ceallio--the simpleminded mute giant, who is "the Doorkeeper"--Ceallio is actually Camaris--the greatest most chivalrous  knight of the age--who suffered a brain injury 40 years ago and lost his identity, and has essentially been living in obscurity as Hodor for 40 years (a man who is like Hodor who is a Doorkeeper--he holds the doors, hmmm, and Camaris is a very close parallel to Arthur Dayne, camaoir means "dawn" in gaelic, and he has a magic sword made from a meteor, and camaran means "idiot" and cam means "bend, bent, and deceit")

So a little marsh man is saved from 3 bullies by a mystery knight, who is a simple-minded mute giant who has lost his identity from brain injury, who beats the shit out of them.  At the time I couldn't make any particular sense out of the associations of Hodor being the mystery knight.  But if it was Bran skinchanging Hodor through the weirwood network then it makes perfect sense.  Hodor was the Knight of the Laughing Tree.  Hodor is a simple-minded, (almost) mute giant, who loses his identity when Bran takes over his body, and he defends the crannogman.  Bran acting through Hodor also defends the crannogman Jojen when they are going north.

*tiamak probably comes from the gaelic words starting with teagma__ which mean variously "chance event"  and "meet" and "assembling, putting together" because the chance event of discovering that Camaris (Arthur Dayne) was still alive changed the whole course of events in the series.

So the knight shouting about Honor, it is probably the story having be colored as it was retold. It was Hodor yelling “Hodoooooooor!” as Bran yelled through him.

I already said that caor / caorthann means "rowan, quicken tree, mountain ash, meteor/fireball and valerian" and that the magical Rowan tree / mountain ash/ Yggdrasil / world tree is the Weirwood. (caorth ~ Qarth?)

so I looked up words in Dinneen's gaelic dictionary that sound like "caor"

cor means "a weir" (corann)

coire means "cauldron, hell, mountain tarn, gulf"

carr means "mouth, grimace, face" and "spear, shaft of wood"

carn means "cairn, heap of stones" carnan means "hillock"

corach means "full of bends, turns" (like a labyrinth, and there is a bunch of symbolism related to the Minotaur and labyrinths related to weirwoods caves with a bole/bull at their center)

cuar means "ring, circle, worm, perversity" and "crooked, awry, circular, hollow, curved ribs" [Naga's ribs are weirwood]

cuar/cuas means "hollow, cave, hole, tree-hollow, subterranean retreat"

corr means "worm, eel" and "dwarf, odd" and "stork"

an corr means "hell; a hut, enclosure, pen"

corcach means "marsh, swamp"

corchair means "purple dye" and recall that Tyrian/Brandaris/Braavosi sea snails all relate to weirwood.

coirrcheann means "a pole, in physics, a center; the nave (of a wheel), a kind of pillarstone; a variety of marine animal" [sounds like an axis tree, or world tree]

coirneach means "kingfisher, royston crow, foreign invader, tyrant"

ciorrbach means "maimed or disabled person" {Corbinec is where the Fisher King dwelt and where the Holy Grail was kept]

corn means "cylinder, bale, horn, chalice, cup" (Holy Grail is a chalice)

cior means "crest, tuft on the head of a bird, the top of a tree" and ciorcal means "circle, circlet (for a head), circle of the eye"

coirt means "bark of trees, bark for nets" and several words beginning with "coirt" mention "bark and nets"

[cortical means having to do with the brain/neural network, and coirt means "tree bark and nets" and the weirwood network is a neural network made out of trees]

coroin mean "crown" [and corone means crow, and sounds like Crone]

coronach means "crowned"

cirin means "the trunk of an oak tree embedded in a bog"

coir means "sin, crime, trespass"

corp "trunk, headless body"

In Dinneen's gaelic dictionary the words that mention "weir" in their definitions are:

cora "dam, weir" and cionn-coradh "weir-head"

buaile "enclosure, palisade, milking place, weir"  (sounds like "bole/bull/Bael") (buaileach is right below this, Baelish)  (also there is Motte and Bailey wordplay with "Mot and buaile")

aire "fishing weir" and "noble"  (sounds like "Eyrie")

fe (Fey, as in fairies?) the phrase "an fuar-clais" means "the cold pit, the grave; a weir, a snare"

clab "mouth, weir"

gearr "a weir for catching fish"

arach (Arakh?) which means "weir, litter, bier"  also spelled araigh (Irri / Eyrie?)

And right below arach is arachas (Arrakis) which means "might, power, insurance, guarantee, security" and right below that arad means "high, noble, Divine Son" and "reins" and aireachis means "herdsman, to care for"

airichis means "a trap, a snare, an ambush, encounter, a meeting" (and a weir is a fish-trap)

So there is a lot of indications that weirs are traps for fish, and Bran is half a fish.  And the weirwood cave is a trap for him.

I haven't read Dune yet, but on Arrakis there are giant worms who enable space flight, and their spice turns your eyes blue, and a man turns himself into a godworm emperor, and they use reins to ride worms, and they are worm herders who tend to the worms to harvest their spice.  In ASoIaF, weirwood roots enable space flight, through the weirwood network you can skinchange corpses which makes their eyes turn blue, and to become a greenseer you become one with the White Worm, and Bran is becoming a manworm god emperor.  An arach is a weir and a bier, and a bier is where you put corpses.

In Hindi arakt means "red" and araka means "juice, sap, extract, distillation" and weirwood sap is blood red.  And araksa means "guard, protection, security"  On Arrakis they extract and distill worm juice.

In gaelic, uir sounds like "weir" and it means "earth, grave, mould"

ETA:

arracht means "preternatural being, a monster, a spectre, an idol"

The associations of arrach with "monster"  "strength" and "death" might be where Tolkien's monster spiders came from.   And maybe the ice spiders too.

• 3 months later...
On 10/2/2021 at 12:14 AM, By Odin's Beard said:

Regarding Bran secretly being other characters in the story:  In Norse myth the wolf Fenrir was too dangerous to roam free, so the gods attempt to chain him up in a cave**.  Fearing a trap Fenrir agrees to be chained if one of the gods will put their hand in his mouth, and the only god brave enough to do so is Tyr, who then gets his hand bit off.  Bran is Fenrir, and Jaime is Tyr, but people have always said "well Bran did not cut off Jaime's hand"--but check this out, Jaime's hand was cut off at the behest of Vargo Hoat.  vargr=warg means "wolf" and Bran is a warg.  And "Hoat" is pretty close to "Hodor".  warg + hodor = Vargo Hoat*. 

Vargo Hoat is obsessed with cutting off hands and feet, he is called "the crippler"  And he is closely associated with the Black Goat of the Woods, which is the Essos black-barked weirwood (see also Lovecraft's The Tree on the Hill, where the Black Goat is an evil alien tree).  I think Bran might have been Vargo Hoat, at least part of the time, and was doing to people what had been done to him, crippling them.  So maybe Bran did cut off Jaime's hand.

*In Danish folktales there was a hero named Starkhodr ("strong hodr"), which I think is where George got the idea of a Bran and Hodor becoming one person with a shared body, and combining their names.

**so Fenrir is a chained winged wolf that breaks loose at Ragnarok and swallows the sun, and today I noticed that in gaelic, archu means "chained or fierce dog" and archra means "eclipse, defect, weakness" and they are right next to each other in Dinneen's gaelic dictionary.  Fenrir is a crippled boy who causes an eclipse.

I just found out that  hoedus  / hoed means  "little goat, kid" in Latin.  And in Old Norse hodnor means "young goats, kids"

And bran means "black" in Dwelly's and O'Donovan's gaelic dictionaries

Bran + Hodor = The Black Goat

In gaelic gabhar means "goat"  (sounds like "gaffer" and Sam Gamgee calls his dad "gaffer" the old goat)

gabhar-cro means "goat pen" and Bran means "crow" (and cro means "death" and "eye" and "blood/gore" and "prison")

gabha means "smith" and the definition mentions the "the smith of hell (Vulcan)" Vulcan was a lame from being thrown off Mount Olympus, Bran is lame from being thrown of the tower.  Brand means to burn, and firebrand and torch.  

The Smith resides underground, in hell.  Tobho Mott's shop was described like you were entering a fiery hell cave.  And barathrum means "abyss" and he is the Smith, with a hammer.  Westeros itself is a one-armed Smith.

I don't know if I have ever noticed this but Robert killing Rhaegar is a metaphor for the Red Comet hitting the Black Moon--the Smith smites a Black Dragon with a war hammer, and a war hammer is a comet.

Archived