For All Mankind (spoilers)

SpaceChampion

I just hopped over to see if anyone updated this lol

This makes me happy. Except for a ridiculous [and relatively minor] side plot that was served up to, I guess, heighten Edward's tension in the last episode around the Moon, S2 was fantastic. Gordo and Tracy still smarts.

Super stoked.

21 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Not much of a trailer…

I don't know... looks like a new age of cooperative exploration given the combination of US and Soviet (? did USSR break up in this timeline?) suits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I was coming to post this.  So… they’ve got an Elon Musk character thirty years early?

They've got a lot of stuff thirty years early.

Can't wait for this. Loved season 2. Though that ending was brutal.

I am giggling at the characters this season who are in their late sixties or early seventies, and they have made zero effort to make them look that old. It's 30 years since Season 1, and quite ludicrous the actors look almost exactly the same. The Last Kingdom did the same thing, but it kind of got away with it because casual viewers aren't closely parsing the time frame. Here, where Season 1 was set in the late 1960s and Season 3 is set in 1995, it's much more obviously an issue.

It was also a character point in Season 2, with an actor in his mid-twenties playing a teenager having a relationship with a woman in her mid-fifties, but played by an actress in her early thirties. Because nobody looked the age they were supposed to be, it didn't look as big a thing as they were trying to make out.

22 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’d still like more than a handwave explanation for the “nuclear shuttle”.

I don't mind the nuclear shuttle, which they can kind of say anything about because it's a new design. I have a much bigger problem with the standard space shuttle flying to the Moon and back, which is patently impossible: they do try to nod to it by saying it needs to refuel in orbit, but they ignore the fact it would still need the external fuel tank and it would need to refuel in lunar orbit as well, plus the speed it would need to hit the atmosphere with would be several times the shuttle's actual tolerance. If you wanted a reusable shuttle to go to the Moon and back, it would not resemble the actual Columbia-class in any way, shape or form.

Edited by Werthead

• 4 weeks later...

Outstanding opening episode. A slow start but then it turns into Towering Inferno but on the 2001: A Space Odyssey Space Station One. Brilliant tension, even if 

Spoiler

they don't explain why the carousel starts slowing down so fast the second the thruster cuts out. I'm assuming friction with the supporting mechanism would slow it, but not that fast. Decelerating so fast through another mechanism like brakes would probably tear the station apart.

I'm also not sure why Ed is in the running for the Mars mission at 60. Danielle at 48 I can buy.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Outstanding opening episode. A slow start but then it turns into Towering Inferno but on the 2001: A Space Odyssey Space Station One. Brilliant tension, even if 

Hide contents

they don't explain why the carousel starts slowing down so fast the second the thruster cuts out. I'm assuming friction with the supporting mechanism would slow it, but not that fast. Decelerating so fast through another mechanism like brakes would probably tear the station apart.

I'm also not sure why Ed is in the running for the Mars mission at 60. Danielle at 48 I can buy.

Spoiler

The “ventral thrusters” never stopped firing to attempt to counter the main thruster.  Without that counterbalance shouldn’t it slow down pretty quickly?  

Given the damage to the station shouldn’t they have shut off the rotation completely to effect repairs?

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah… that’s pretty… off.

It's kind of bizarre, honestly. There have been very few subplots that haven't revolved around the subject matter of the show. I mean, even when Gordo lost himself there for a while it was still adjacent to the program. 

Spoiler

If it's just to add tension and/or goad Ed into growth, as it appeared end of last season, I dunno.

I don't hate it. Just feels like a very strange writing turn. So far.

Edited by JGP