For All Mankind (spoilers)

SpaceChampion

22 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I was with Ed all the way till he played the white man victim card 

Not his best moment, for sure, though it's interesting that before that we have the scene where Dani doesn't disagree when her son frames it as "of course the old white guy got the job." She just had the grace to not say it to Ed's face.

Ed's done some stuff that was fucked up, for sure. 

How can you have Molly smoking a blunt in the tub without her husband there? What happened to Wayne?

Sure but once you've run the good shows out, of which there aren't many [I haven't crushed Lower decks yet] the selection is very poor. It's like Paramount+ was created with no intention beyond being packaged.  

I finished season one. It was kind of a mixed bag. I still really like the alternate history aspect of the show, but it really goes overboard with the soap opera nonsense.

The dead kid was tedious, and I really was disappointed with what the writers did to Deke. He was absolutely correct to be enraged at Waverly. Fair or not, her secret was an exploitable security problem. To have him change his mind, say he was wrong and the bigots are the problem...yeesh. 

Pam the bartender is extremely annoying. Trying to be open about her orientation, thereby jeopardizing two people who are actively committing felonies...because love conquers all, I guess? I really hope that her idiocy ends up annihilating the careers of Waverly and Wilson. Stupidity ought to have some consequence.

And Baldwin going Colonel Kurtz was bizarre and didn't really work for me.

Anyway, I feel hesitant to move on. I'm fascinated by the timeline, but the soap opera elements are so over the top, and I do not enjoy being preached at, even if I agree with the message.

Yeah, the show is both very preachy and goes very soapy at times. And it gets increasingly implausible. Maybe give the first episode a shot and see if you like how it develops the alternate history as it jumps ahead in time? But I suspect you won't continue.

I thought Season 2 was a big step up in storytelling and characterisation and I felt the soap opera elements were dialled down (with one, rather infamous but also brief, exception) in favour of more political intrigue. We still need to see where Season 3 goes.

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:
  Hide contents

Why… would you launch an interplanetary mission from inside a gravity well?  That makes no sense.  You build the vehicle in orbit and launch from orbit.  The Helios launch makes sense.  The NASA launch doesn’t… the Soviet launch… really doesn’t.

Launching from the moon is very cost-effective. You use much less fuel than launching from Earth. I think you're also better off launching from the moon and only having to escape the moon's gravity (and the much more limited pull from Earth at that distance) than you are launching from low Earth orbit, where you still have to climb out of the Earth's gravity well.

The Russians launching directly from Earth's surface is definitely weird, but if they had a superheavy lift rocket already in service (which they must do, to get to the moon), they may have decided it was better to use one of those then go to the rigmarole of building on the moon. It get the impression their space programme, although far superior to reality, was still on a shoestring compared to NASA.

Interesting bit of worldbuilding as well, where they indicate that the space race with the USA is effectively the only thing keeping the Soviet Union from collapsing as in our world.

57 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Launching from the moon is very cost-effective. You use much less fuel than launching from Earth. I think you're also better off launching from the moon and only having to escape the moon's gravity (and the much more limited pull from Earth at that distance) than you are launching from low Earth orbit, where you still have to climb out of the Earth's gravity well.

The Russians launching directly from Earth's surface is definitely weird, but if they had a superheavy lift rocket already in service (which they must do, to get to the moon), they may have decided it was better to use one of those then go to the rigmarole of building on the moon. It get the impression their space programme, although far superior to reality, was still on a shoestring compared to NASA.

Interesting bit of worldbuilding as well, where they indicate that the space race with the USA is effectively the only thing keeping the Soviet Union from collapsing as in our world.

A fair point about LEO.  I stand corrected.  That said lifting the station to a Lunar Orbit then building in Lunar Orbit would have been cost and resource prohibitive given that Helios has no serious presence in Lunar space.

It seems that in this timeline NASA and its Russian equivalent have kept Luna as their own personal playground not letting any others on the surface.  Hence the Helios challenge.

Was Danny’s wife “stepford” creepy to anyone else?  If we had viable efficent fusion power why would people be protesting against He3?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

The soap opera aspect of this show rears its head kind of heavily this episode. Not a fan of shoehorning Danny into things, and definitely not a big fan of Ed casting aside concerns about Danny just to make sure he's on a mission where he will almost certainly crack up.

The Margo side of things is interesting, but I wonder how far they can or will go with it.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

The soap opera aspect of this show rears its head kind of heavily this episode. Not a fan of shoehorning Danny into things, and definitely not a big fan of Ed casting aside concerns about Danny just to make sure he's on a mission where he will almost certainly crack up.

The Margo side of things is interesting, but I wonder how far they can or will go with it.

I’ll be surprised if Margo doesn’t make a dramatic admission of her collusion with the Soviets at some point when they ask her to go farther than she is willing to go.