For All Mankind (spoilers)

SpaceChampion

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

So, I was 11 in 1994* and wasn’t paying attention to the progress of gay rights in the US. Did the level of outrage seem about right here? It kinda felt overdone but I’m not sure. I know the military thing would be an issue, but it would’ve been nice to balance that with some segment of the population being happy for him. Maybe swap out a Danny scene… another classic from him. “Doesn’t think I’m cut out?! I’ll show him!” *destroys some equipment*

*actually, I had a feeling that was too early for Supergrass - ‘Alright’, do we assume we’ve rolled around to July 1995? Did Kelly get sent the song from Earth?

The Mars landing takes place in 1995 (as established in the S2 finale), so I believe the idea was that the first couple of episodes took place in 1992, they moved forwards two years to the launch in 1994 and the landing on Mars is in 1995.

The length of the Valles Marineris is around the width of the continental U.S., coast to coast.  The width of the Melas Chasma area is about the size of the state of Oklahoma.  And the walls are between 7 and 10km deep.  The canyon they are drilling in the show must be some local feature, because otherwise is it way too small -- too short, too near, etc.  Probably wouldn't even see the walls of Marineris because they should be beyond the horizon.  It's a shame they didn't do a wide shot of pushing in from orbit to really see it's size.

Jesus, the Danny story keeps going. And his brother Jimmy is hardly better. They need to let go of the Stevens.

I'm not sure how they're going with the Margo plot. Either everything blows up in the finale, or Aleida's loyalty leads her to break with Margo but keep her secret. She could leave NASA for Helios maybe?

I'm guessing Ellen is just going to make a stand and out herself, right?

ETA: Oh, and Kel was being absurd. It's not like it's plausible that that's the only liquid water on Mars.

Edited by Ran

Oy, we're back in full soap/ melodrama mode. And not just on Mars.

Danny, of course. The way Ed dealt with him was irresponsible. Knowing he was a loose cannon, doing drugs, "Hit me! Be a man!" and, worst of all, letting him anywhere near the controls instead of safely confining him to his quarters or the brig or whatever would have been available.

I guess those 3 or 4 others are toast, but Ed will ofc survive.

No way would the conspiracy nutjobs be able to steal that statue, badge or not.

Of course, I bet Pat has basically been waiting for Ellen for, what, 25 years? Caring for her five to ten cats,never finding someone else,  I'm sure. I don't know if Ellen will want to out herself, but her bodyguards and aides already know too much, probably.

I assume whatever happens with her and/ or Will may give the gay rights movement (does it even exist?) a boost.

Lots of eyerolls in this one.

I hope at least Will is ok, but I still expect him to get bullied to the point where he will somehow kill himself.

Eesh, that one really tested my faith in the show. The Stevens kids front and centre and they’re the worst thing about the show. Isn’t Jimmy supposed to be nearing 30 by now? And this story feels like it’s written for a 15 year old, doing bad shit cos a pretty girl smiled at him. So many stupid moments in this; how the fuck did they steal a statue? What there’s no cameras at the front of the main building? Thank god they had a badge so they could get to … that bit that Jimmy had to pass to get the badge in the first place. 

Ed clearly knew Danny was high, so maybe restrict his access to the drugs? Maybe don’t put him anywhere near anything critical, instead of saying “Hit me! Be a man!” What lesson is he hoping to leave Danny with there? And other guy knew Danny was a liability, should never have left him watching something so critical. This whole trope of ‘drug user empties another pill and looks at himself in the mirror’, there must have half a dozen of those same scenes by now.

Contender for worst episode ever I think.

Yeah, I really hope they'll be back to form soon. The way this is going now, I wouldn't be surprised if we'll get a time jump, you know, 9 months or so, and Danny is breaking out of whatever prison they managed to put him in. Kelly is in the throes of childbearing (because of course!), and Ed manages to save his very significant First Space Grandkid (hey, that's finally a first for him!) by sacrificing himself. Or something along these lines.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I think I'll be out after this season.

Stick around. Honestly, with the levels of implausibility currently on display, I wouldn't be surprised if the gorram frackin' Cylons turned up. With an actual plan.

Never watched BSG, but yeah. For me, it's mostly the soapy, clichéd writing. I love good character drama, but this ain't it. I'm sure they'll pull a few intense, suspenseful moments out of their asses, as they usually do at the end of the season.

And I think both Stevens boys won't go anywhere. I bet that Danny will be "redeemed" by becoming better, without any kind of accountability for 4 people he killed.

Ugh, and the

Spoiler

pregnancy

storyline... I mean, I predicted it, but I hoped they wouldn't go there.

Edited by Mindwalker

The main storyline, the constant Apollo 13 levels of disasters, the realisation of Mars etc are all excellent.

The soap opera subplots have descended into pure farce though.

I have to say, as much as I’ve hated the Danny plot the last few episodes, I don’t mind the angle that he feels responsible for Shane and has been trying to live his life. I’m hoping they can just turn a corner with it now and stop moping around. 

But we need some stupid on the show! How about, a professional and intelligent NASA astronaut just fucks around up there without condoms? I mean that should be fine right?

I started watching this show about a month ago and finally caught up with the release dates yesterday. The gradual decline in the quality of the writing has been pretty blatant. I loved Season1 and mostly enjoyed Season 2, but the third season is so full of nonsense I don't know if I will watch Season 4. The latest episode was the cherry on top.

Spoiler

The North Korean reveal is mindbogglingly idiotic.

The idea that Helios, the company that discovered freaking nuclear fusion and seems to be the market leader in producing fuel for it, will be close to bankruptcy because of the problems with its Mars mission, is almost as dumb.

The pregnancy drama is bad soap opera stuff.

And of course freaking Danny will probably get away with killing 3 astronauts. Hopefully I am wrong and he somehow dies in a fire next episode.

Also, wasn't Helios mission supposed to mine some fuel on Mars for Phoenix to travel back to Earth? Now apparently only their lander needed fuel and Phoenix had enough for a return trip already.

It is a shame they are wasting the talent of the great cast with such ridiculous plotlines.

What he said.

But hey, I'm on the edge of my seat:

- Will it be a boy or girl, and will Kelly name them Edward?

Spoiler

- Do they expect me to care about an a-hole Republican president who wouldn't give a f*** about gay people if she wasn't gay herself?

- Will she manage to stay in power to do good, like protect the space program from social concerns like, e.g. those pesky homeless people?

- Will Dany and Russian Commander manage to talk down Undoubtedly Evil Space Korean?

- Will Dany and Russian Commander shag because why the hell not?

- Will I finally start to care about Dev, Karen, or their corporation?

- Will NAS-Anon storm the control room and try to mess things up before Margo heroically sacrifices herself?

- Will the inevitable Ed-Danny fistfight because of Karen take place in episode 9 or 10? Oh, wait, this already was ep9. Nvm.

- Will Jimmy found 4chan and invent NFTs?

- Will Danny get a statue, as nobody finds out the marsquake was his fault and he'll do something heroic and everyone will declare him redeemed?

- Will bearded guy or Molly get Margo's job (I think Aleida will resign, after telling Margo the FBI knows)?

Riveting stuff.

Edited by Mindwalker