For All Mankind (spoilers)

SpaceChampion

I finished watching this entire show and I agree with everything people said here. Season 1 was by far the best and it had my favourite episodes. Michael Dorman was my favourite actor on this show and it was unfortunate that his character died. I really love Margo and Danielle and if I end up watching S4 it will be for them. Joel Kinnaman to me is a VERY uneven actor (his performance in s2 was so, so bad) and Ed still being the main character, doing everything, is so ridiculous. S3 had some really terrible writing. Wasted cast.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Anyone watched the first episode? Some good news:

Spoiler

Danny is fucking dead in the time-jump between the S3 close and the opening of this season!

Though, I fear there will be some flashbacks explaining just why that is, from some of the things said in this episode. *sigh*

This episode was all right, some funny stuff covered in the jump through history, like the fact that Michael Jordan ended up playing with the Mariners and helped lead them to an AL championship.

Also get a lot of Margo in the USSR, in drab, grey scenes shot in Bulgaria. Not quite sure where her story is going. She's not doing too well.

Edit: I thought this thread was about Loki. I'm going to keep my commentary here because it's kind of funny to me.

---

I'll have to take some time to read through the pages of this thread because I've been discussing this with others elsewhere but ...

Season 1 was such a good series because it was about character exploration and introspection and change and growth. Much of season 2 was a farcical chase through time and space and had nothing about character exploration. It was largely a flop for me other than my maintained interest in seeing where the story would go.

And, in the final episode and maybe parts of episode 5, they revisited character growth and the show shined for it. I appreciate them putting a decent bow on it. And I do hope that they stick with just the two seasons because I don't think that they could give me the compelling character exploration story that I would want for another season.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

24 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Edit: I thought this thread was about Loki. I'm going to keep my commentary here because it's kind of funny to me.

---

I'll have to take some time to read through the pages of this thread because I've been discussing this with others elsewhere but ...

Season 1 was such a good series because it was about character exploration and introspection and change and growth. Much of season 2 was a farcical chase through time and space and had nothing about character exploration. It was largely a flop for me other than my maintained interest in seeing where the story would go.

And, in the final episode and maybe parts of episode 5, they revisited character growth and the show shined for it. I appreciate them putting a decent bow on it. And I do hope that they stick with just the two seasons because I don't think that they could give me the compelling character exploration story that I would want for another season.

Well what we're seeing here is a variant of the space race. Definitely Loki's fault.

How the hell is someone smuggling tobacco or weed to Happy Valley?  Every ounce of payload is a hugh deal in Space travel.  They’d be found if it is being shipped in any quantity at all.

Ronald Moore just wants people to smoke in space… doesn’t he?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Then why the two year contracts for the former rig guys?  Payload weight matters.

Sure, they care about kilos, but they're shipping shit-tons of stuff out there anyways, including presumably seed banks and stuff. 'Oh, yeah, Unit 500 of wheat germ seems to have not survived the trip' *cough cough* 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Sure, they care about kilos, but they're shipping shit-tons of stuff out there anyways, including presumably seed banks and stuff. 'Oh, yeah, Unit 500 of wheat germ seems to have not survived the trip' *cough cough* 

Ron Moore just loves people smoking on his shows.  

:shocked:

13 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Everyone’s favorite Vlad coming to power?

Sure looks like it, since it's a bit late for Yeltsin to show up. Or if not Putin himself, some other ambitious ex-KGB apparatchik that is basically Putin with his name filed off.

I find it a bit hard to believe that the deal to go to Mars is so bad that after the various fees people are taking worse paychecks than if they were doing the same work back home. I understand that Helios is presented as a fairly libertarian, incentive-focused work place, but base pay for such a hazard should have been more in line with what oil rig guys get, I expect.

Edited by Ran

Japan is one of the Mars-7 nations.

China (and Canada, for some reason) opt out of the space alliance and are independently doing their thing. My one thought is that Soviet Union's rapid GDP rise (at least according to the first episode montage; evidence of it in the city Margo is in seems very thin, besides there not being queues for food) means that a successful opening up of their economy meant that they took some of the steam out of China's industrial rise. 

1 minute ago, Ran said:

Japan is one of the Mars-7 nations.

China (and Canada, for some reason) opt out of the space alliance and are independently doing their thing. My one thought is that Soviet Union's rapid GDP rise (at least according to the first episode montage; evidence of it in the city Margo is in seems very thin, besides there not being queues for food) means that a successful opening up of their economy meant that they took some of the steam out of China's industrial rise. 

Would Chinas rise really depend much on the USSRs state though ? I thought it kickstarted in 1978 due to their market reforms and then really took off in the 90s with them utilising their manufacturing and labour sector to drive up exports. Wouldn’t a strong USSR simply give them another market to sell their produce in ? Or do you mean to say Russian labour started competing with the cheaper Chinese one in manufacturing?