Space Launches, Landings & Destinations v4

SpaceChampion

Just got my "Starlink available to order in your area" email.  I'm in Taos, NM, about 50 miles south of the Colorado border.  I paid the $99 deposit but they don't seem to expect to actually have service here until mid to late 2021.  Hrmph.

Absolutely! And then the first sounds from Mars... Damn... Given how thin the atmosphere is I wondered whether the microphone would be able to pick anything up at all, but... the wind blows were beautifully earth-like.

Perseverance's onboard AI selected the landing spot itself, and landed with 5 meters of it.  Remarkable achievement!  Going forward, lots of areas on Mars deemed too difficult to land in safely could be reached with success, unless NASA remains conservative on that issue.

4 hours ago, broken one said:

That's a shame.  There are so many frequent issues with drilling on Earth that doing it on Mars without humans present to troubleshoot is an unlikely endeavour.  Need much bigger rigs to get down further anyway.

The best thing might be a 3D printer so you can print an unlimited supply of drill bits with a variety of heads, from locally produced iron-magnesium alloy.  Allite "Super magnesium" is an alloy that is lighter and stronger than titanium, so might be just the thing to focus on producing there.

I am double sad, because Polish private company and the Space Research Centre contributed a bit to creation of the device. Same with DLR's MUPUS penetrator for Philae lander, which also failed. It is said it happens because we really have vague idea of soil properties of the bodies, but nonetheless this kind of lessons are disappointing.

Phobos Grunt burned above Pacific together with "Chomik" penetrator made by SRC.

Penetrator curse! 

Anyway, the 2 years mole's struggle was very dramatic.

While in university and involved with various conferences hosted by the Canadian Space Agency I was proposing penetrator missions as something relatively inexpensive that Canada could do for Mars geological science that would get us beyond just making Canadarm after Canadarm for the next forty years.

The Inspiration4 private mission has selected 29-year old cancer survivor Haley Arceneaux for one of its four seats.  This is NOT the winner of the contest, so that remains in play.

A 29-year-old cancer survivor, now a physician’s assistant at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, will blast off aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule later this year for a flight dedicated to raising money for the Memphis medical center. It will be the first orbital spaceflight with no professional astronauts on board.

Hayley Arceneaux, 29, who will be the youngest American to fly in space, will join three other passengers aboard a commercial flight chartered by billionaire Jared Isaacman, who arranged to purchase the launch from SpaceX. The mission is known as Inspiration4.

Rocket Lab is also proposing a Falcon 9 lookalike, called Neutron

It would have a capability of 8tons to LEO, compared to the ~20 of the Falcon 9

Someone in the interwebs is proposing then a new rocket called Atom, formed by Electron rocket boosters a Neutron first stage and a Proton upper stage.

Launch!  And then successful Landing!

Didn't watch it live, but heard there was a boom some minutes after landing.

Wait, how it land if not on its legs??  On the engine bells and skirt?

And then:

Coolest view:

Archived