Space Launches, Landings & Destinations v4

SpaceChampion

21 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

But has it reached L2? I thought it would take a month.

No, got another two weeks before it reaches L2. And another five months of alignment of the mirrors along with cooling of the instruments and setting them up before it's fully operational. But the most risky, sensitive bits of the setup are done.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

But has it reached L2? I thought it would take a month.

Not at L2 yet, it's most of the way there but it's been continuously slowing down so timewise it's only about halfway--you can check out the status real-time at Where Is Webb? 

And after it arrives at L2, it has to complete cooling down (it's designed to operate at a ridiculously chilly 40 K (almost -400 °F!!), prepare all the instruments, align the mirrors, calibrate, etc. First data isn't expected until June. But the unfolding was the riskiest and most absolutely mind-boggling engineering challenge, so now that it's done it should (hopefully!!) be smooth sailing from here.

14 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I watched several of Nora's Guide to the Galaxy, and your since your posting enthusiasm here largely follows standard punctuation, I 'm sure you're even more excited than you sound.

Also check out Nora's youtube.  It's obviously a cromulent rec for this topic.

:wub:

• 2 weeks later...

hmm, big claims here, but the company isn't run by the starry-eyed sort.  They've been in stealth mode for years, developed an engine, and raised money from VCs before announcing publicly.  Perhaps materials science has advanced enough that it is possible.

But why Single-Stage-To-Orbit?  On a two-stage system, if both parts are reusable, SSTO isn't needed.  The problem is hard, on Earth.  Starship might be able to be SSTO too, with a similarly small payload (~5000 lbs).

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

hmm, big claims here, but the company isn't run by the starry-eyed sort.  They've been in stealth mode for years, developed an engine, and raised money from VCs before announcing publicly.  Perhaps materials science has advanced enough that it is possible.

But why Single-Stage-To-Orbit?  On a two-stage system, if both parts are reusable, SSTO isn't needed.  The problem is hard, on Earth.  Starship might be able to be SSTO too, with a similarly small payload (~5000 lbs).

I would think SSTO might have its uses for space tourism as well as delivering small payloads to orbit / space stations. If you could do take off and landing at a regular airport that would be pretty cool. Dunno if this space plane is intended to achieve that level of convenience.

49 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I would think SSTO might have its uses for space tourism as well as delivering small payloads to orbit / space stations. If you could do take off and landing at a regular airport that would be pretty cool. Dunno if this space plane is intended to achieve that level of convenience.

They very specifically say it's not for space tourism, and talk about "other markets".  They apparently have deals with some of the private space stations proposed.

I suspected we'd get an announcement soon when Jarod Isaacman (Inspiration4 commander/funder) made a video in a jet fighter circling Starbase.

He's going back up with 3 SpaceX missions, culminating in the first crewed Starship mission.

Two of those are SpaceX employees, so effectively begins SpaceX's own priviate astronaut program.

Menon's husband was recently selected as a NASA astronaut candidate.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/02/14/billionaire-plans-three-more-flights-with-spacex-culminating-in-starship-mission/

No doubt some of the price will be recuperated with another Netflix documentary.

Certainly SpaceX's launch schedule will shift around as required by circumstances, but here it is the human flights in order more or less (flights past and yet-to-come):

Archived