Space Launches, Landings & Destinations v4

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The port mid-boom extension is now showing completed.  Next step is starboard mid-boom extension.

:)

Yep, looks like they had a sensor issue with the shield covers and they wanted to take extra time to make sure they were out of the way before extending the boom. 

Both booms are deployed! Because of the delay with the sensors, they were behind with the boom deployment, so they're pushing the tensioning to tomorrow (2 Jan) instead of today. I will be so glad when the sunshield is all finished!

2 hours ago, Starkess said:

Both booms are deployed! Because of the delay with the sensors, they were behind with the boom deployment, so they're pushing the tensioning to tomorrow (2 Jan) instead of today. I will be so glad when the sunshield is all finished!

The temperature display for Webb has the Temperature on the cold side as -297 degrees (f).  That can’t be fahrenheit… can it? 

I’m stupid confused Fahrenheit for Celcius.  

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The temperature display for Webb has the Temperature on the cold side as -297 degrees (f).  That can’t be fahrenheit… can it? 

I’m stupid confused Fahrenheit for Celcius.  

Yep! Eventually the sun shield will passively cool the telescope down to ~40 K, which is -387 F!

I feel like starting rumour.

The JWST isn't really a telescope, it is a secret warp drive prototype, that's why it is such a weird design. The so-called "sunshield" is actually a negative energy collector and the reason it has been placed at the L2 position is because that is the ideal position to collect negative energy, because it is directly in line with the sun and earth so the negative energy particles from the sun, that are bent around the earth by the magnetic field then converge at the L2 point. Because negative energy particles are not produced by the sun in great quantities it takes a while to collect enough. IN 10 years time enough will have been collected to test the warp drive. The L2 position also means earth is far enough away that if something goes wrong and the warp core is breached earth won't be affected.

Definitely makes more sense than having to put a telescope way out there just to look at the stars. Or needing a "shield" to protect it from the sun, ridiculous. It's 1 million km further from the sun than earth, yet we are supposed to believe that the sunny side of the sun shade is 56oC, hotter than almost anywhere on earth, and it will get hotter? Everyone knows space is cold. Such an obvious lie. A warp drive experiment is the only logical explanation.

57 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I feel like starting rumour.

The JWST isn't really a telescope, it is a secret warp drive prototype, that's why it is such a weird design. The so-called "sunshield" is actually a negative energy collector and the reason it has been placed at the L2 position is because that is the ideal position to collect negative energy, because it is directly in line with the sun and earth so the negative energy particles from the sun, that are bent around the earth by the magnetic field then converge at the L2 point. Because negative energy particles are not produced by the sun in great quantities it takes a while to collect enough. IN 10 years time enough will have been collected to test the warp drive. The L2 position also means earth is far enough away that if something goes wrong and the warp core is breached earth won't be affected.

Definitely makes more sense than having to put a telescope way out there just to look at the stars. Or needing a "shield" to protect it from the sun, ridiculous. It's 1 million km further from the sun than earth, yet we are supposed to believe that the sunny side of the sun shade is 56oC, hotter than almost anywhere on earth, and it will get hotter? Everyone knows space is cold. Such an obvious lie. A warp drive experiment is the only logical explanation.

:|

Shh, don't let the plebs know!!

Tensioning has been postponed another day to Monday. Team is using the extra time to look at data from the telescope (specifically the power system) and to let the motors be at optimal temp. The schedule is flexible and they're in no hurry, so it makes sense!

Is there another repositioning burn (if needed) scheduled? If so I guess that's about the only real deadline prior to orbital insertion at L2. To expect this venture to go off 100% according to plan is surely too high of an expectation.

Speaking of expectations, sorry for bringing it down a bit, but I think it was on the NASA livestream on Youtube I saw a couple of people were posting in the live comments that they hoped the rocket would blow up on the launch pad. Some people aye?

On 1/3/2022 at 1:24 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

Is there another repositioning burn (if needed) scheduled? If so I guess that's about the only real deadline prior to orbital insertion at L2. 

According to whereiswebb, there is only one more burn, when Webb enters its orbit around L2.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’ve read that the launch and mid course correction burns have been so efficient that they say the mission is more likely to be 10 years than 5.

Not much mid course correction needed because the launch was perfect. That saved some fuel.

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’ve read that the launch and mid course correction burns have been so efficient that they say the mission is more likely to be 10 years than 5.

It's better than that, actually! The primary mission is 5 years and the extended is 10 years--the fuel efficiency (largely thanks to an excellent insertion by Ariane-5) means we'll get more than 10 years! They didn't give exact estimates but NASA said "significantly more"!

I imagine several things beyond anyone's control had to go right (like weather / humidity / atmospheric pressure on the day) fo that perfect launch to happen. So congratulations to the launch team for doing their bit perfectly to allow the perfect external conditions to allow for the pest possible outcome to be achieved.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:10 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The tensioning of the Sun Shield on the James Webb is complete all five layers are successfully deployed.

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html?fbclid=IwAR2YGuBZTs0dI__d_aMQUmRvyr9y-Pb10G2eXbTH5_CxyMXFbVq41YkHJ_I

There'll be no one to stop us this time.

On 1/5/2022 at 10:11 PM, Starkess said:

It's better than that, actually! The primary mission is 5 years and the extended is 10 years--the fuel efficiency (largely thanks to an excellent insertion by Ariane-5) means we'll get more than 10 years! They didn't give exact estimates but NASA said "significantly more"!

I watched several of Nora's Guide to the Galaxy, and your since your posting enthusiasm here largely follows standard punctuation, I 'm sure you're even more excited than you sound.

Also check out Nora's youtube.  It's obviously a cromulent rec for this topic.

Archived