Sign in to follow this  
Leap

Exercise & Fitness: Sickness, Altius, Fortius

Last thread was locked. Seems like some people are doing really well despite the circumstances - good on you. For the rest of us, well we still have several more months to use before people once again see us below the first chin.

I've just moved much closer to the city centre, meaning I can run somewhere interesting now. I've finally broken the habit of running the same 5k loop! Today's run took me over Tower Bridge, which was packed with tourists, and around some of the financial area, which was not. I ended up being a bit short of the 10k I'd wanted to do, but given I was just following my nose and trying not to get lost, that's okay for now. 

I also hadn't ballooned in weight quite as much as I'd feared. I managed to get to about 72kgs at my lightest last Summer, and I'm about 78kg now. 74/75 is when I really began to notice a difference, so I should be there by late March. I think dry January probably helped a lot on that front. 

Anyway, continue - your activities, thoughts, questions, etc. 

Ugh so sorry, I also lost a ton of weight going through my divorce. Not sure how, I was drinking copious amounts of wine and eating Ben & Jerry's by the pint.

Working out has been going okay for me. It's the one outlet I have right now, so I've been very consistent with it. I recently figured out the pandemic rules for using the pool at the university, so I started doing some lap swimming since it's far too snowy to be running outside and I loathe the treadmill. I still do a bit of treadmill work because nothing can replace running, but I replace my runs with other cardio or just walking outside when possible.

I've been doing an experiment in trying a mini bulk and cut cycle. It worked okay, and I discovered my BMR is actually much higher than I thought it was. I don't like feeling so fluffy, though, even though I know in reality it can hardly be much of a difference. I'm aiming to start cutting in another week and I'm both dreading it and looking forward to it. Not sure I gained much muscle mass but my lifts are continuing to increase slowly.

I’m glad you guys are all doing well.  My workouts have dropped off badly again these past 2-3 weeks.  I’m just too exhausted from long hours of work plus a bad sleep pattern.

I also have some pain in my lower back. It feels like my lower spine is too compressed, and it’s getting more painful to bear the load for a barbell squat.  I don’t get pain from the motion, just from taking on the weight.  I think using a standing desk for too many hours is part of the problem.

I’m trying to fix things.  I’ve started improving my sleep pattern.  Plus getting some outdoor daylight, not just shoveling snow after sunset.  And I’ve started doing some intense stretches to loosen the lower back, hamstrings, hips and IT band.

Hopefully I’ll get back to exercise this week.  And I’ll do Bulgarian half lunges instead of barbell squats for a while if I need to.  

Back in the gym now after nearly a year off. Have been back for about a month. First week was really sore but I pushed through and now don’t really experience any soreness. Some of the workouts are still kicking my ass though. I’ve mainly been doing group HIIT classes. Classes are an hour at this new place and I was used to 45 minutes before. That last little bit is where I’m mentally cursing the trainers as torturers and sadists.

The hour is usually broken into 3-4 blocks of different workouts. Today the second block started with a 50 push up ‘buy in’ before getting into the rest of the block which was DB chest press and a couple other things I can’t remember anymore. But I do remember being like - 50 push ups up front? In a row? Before all the rest of that stuff? Fuck y’all. :lol: 

and people always bullshit their push-ups. I’m trying to bust out 50 proper push ups and it’s fully kicking my ass after about 30 while most everyone else has long moved on. Is this class full of marines right out of boot camp? I think not.

35 minutes ago, S John said:

Back in the gym now after nearly a year off. Have been back for about a month. First week was really sore but I pushed through and now don’t really experience any soreness. Some of the workouts are still kicking my ass though. I’ve mainly been doing group HIIT classes. Classes are an hour at this new place and I was used to 45 minutes before. That last little bit is where I’m mentally cursing the trainers as torturers and sadists.

The hour is usually broken into 3-4 blocks of different workouts. Today the second block started with a 50 push up ‘buy in’ before getting into the rest of the block which was DB chest press and a couple other things I can’t remember anymore. But I do remember being like - 50 push ups up front? In a row? Before all the rest of that stuff? Fuck y’all. :lol: 

and people always bullshit their push-ups. I’m trying to bust out 50 proper push ups and it’s fully kicking my ass after about 30 while most everyone else has long moved on. Is this class full of marines right out of boot camp? I think not.

50 push-ups fast & bouncy is attainable for a lot of people who exercise often, but you’re better off doing 30 slow reps.  But HIIT classes are going to prioritize the former all the time.  They just want the speed and intensity of the activity, not the quality of time under tension for the muscle group. 

Good to hear you’re back at it. 

Golfer's elbow has wrecked my upper body workouts.  Which also has cratered my motivation for sticking with the nutrition plan.  Weight hasn't gone up, but I'm almost certainly getting weaker.  Oddly, golf didn't aggravate last time I played.  (About 4 weeks ago, it was almost 40F out.)   The other elbow, which used to bother me a lot more, has been great since the massage therapist beat the hell out of my bicep and tricep last year.  Did wonders for my range of motion and increased my driving distance for disc golf quite noticeably.  I must have spent a decade not even realizing how limited I was.

Have another appointment with the orthopedist Wednesday.  Going to make sure a prescription for PT this time, which is really why I went there in the first place.  Stupid ConnectiCare and their gatekeepers.  

Also started doing some yoga.  Kind of aggravates my back in not a stretchy way, had a chiropractor tell me to expect arthritis in/around some vertabrae in the middle, perhaps this is that.  Not at all limiting so far, but that I notice it at all is a change for the worse.

@mcbigski I have golfers elbow too, although not from playing golf.  I got it last year after carrying so many boxes as we were moving, then weightlifting prolonged it.   It went away for a couple of months when I was too busy to exercise more than once or twice a week but returned again once I was lifting more.  Heavy cable rows and pull-ups seem to aggravate it the most.  I just ice and massage it and continue along. 

Today was a better day for exercise.  I set aside an hour in the afternoon for a session of bench press and rows.  I’m now benching 205lbs for single reps, and 185lbs for 6-7 rep sets, and then drop to 165lbs for 9 rep sets.  And then I went out shoveling snow/slush for 90 minutes in the evening after work before it freezes overnight.  I’m now about to eat a large quantity of pizza.

2 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Also started doing some yoga.  Kind of aggravates my back in not a stretchy way, had a chiropractor tell me to expect arthritis in/around some vertabrae in the middle, perhaps this is that.  Not at all limiting so far, but that I notice it at all is a change for the worse.

Yoga is always harder than expected when you first start, even if you're in great shape. I've got two sessions left in my 30 day challenge and I can really tell the difference. Not great for weight lost, at least the ones I'm doing, but it does help you feel better.

I'm also a recent convert on foam rolling. A nice one only costs $25-$30, and just doing it for 10-15 minutes every few days should help your back some.

Might have to look at the foam rolling too.  Mostly I get low back pain that goes away with deep squatting with moderate weight.  There's a point where something near the bottom of my spine releases and everything is great for the next 5 days or so.  As long as I keep my form pure, the knees won't hurt either.  Even there I feel some elbow pain lately just holding the bar in a high back squat position.  (experimented a bit with a lower bar position, but having relatively long arms, was sometimes pinching my fingers on re-rack.  Need better shoulder flexibility for sure.

Also iced it since what IP said makes total sense.  Didn't help that much the first time, but reducing inflammation should help heal.  Been working on wrist flexibility on that side too, as apparently that is a contributing factor to the tightness I have.  Going to keep that up daily or more for a while.  If you've read Antifragile, this definitely sounds like an idea with positive EV and no real downside.iced

Also, noticed that no one in my elevator thread had any worldcon stories.  Got to get into peak shape before DC!

42 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yoga is always harder than expected when you first start, even if you're in great shape. I've got two sessions left in my 30 day challenge and I can really tell the difference. Not great for weight lost, at least the ones I'm doing, but it does help you feel better.

I'm also a recent convert on foam rolling. A nice one only costs $25-$30, and just doing it for 10-15 minutes every few days should help your back some.

Torture devices! We have a couple and my wife is always trying to get me to roll when I’m sore. I absolutely hate it. I will grudgingly admit that I do usually feel better after but man it’s one of those things where I sometimes wonder if the cure is worse than the disease.

Edited by S John

21 minutes ago, S John said:

Torture devices! We have a couple and my wife is always trying to get me to roll when I’m sore. I absolutely hate it. I will grudgingly admit that I do usually feel better after but man it’s one of those things where I sometimes wonder if the cure is worse than the disease.

Most places don't hurt too bad for me, and my new one is way harder than the old one. But fucking me when the person on the video says "Now let's focus on your IT bands." It's the worst.

Another run today, and it's another that felt comfortable in the 5:00-5:05 range, which is nice after a fair while of being slower and struggling in the 5:10-5:30 range. My breathing was pretty good and my legs felt fine, although mildly fatigued now. 

Hopefully I'll be solidly back in the 4:50s throughout March. A friend that I tend to do a race with every now and again, who overtook me when I broke my toe last year, has been putting in some solid 4:4X runs at up to 10k lately, and even some that were 4:3X. I need to catch up.

14 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Might have to look at the foam rolling too.  Mostly I get low back pain that goes away with deep squatting with moderate weight.  There's a point where something near the bottom of my spine releases and everything is great for the next 5 days or so.  As long as I keep my form pure, the knees won't hurt either.  Even there I feel some elbow pain lately just holding the bar in a high back squat position.  (experimented a bit with a lower bar position, but having relatively long arms, was sometimes pinching my fingers on re-rack.  Need better shoulder flexibility for sure.

I had forgotten that I used to find it difficult to hold a narrow grip for barbell squats.  Sounds like you need to stretch your chest and work on your scapular retraction.  Try face pulls, and pay attention to your shoulder posture throughout the day.  I forget when the improvement happened but I’ve had no problem for a long time in gripping the barbell squat quite narrow.  (I’m not as tall as you but I have long arms, and hands should not be at risk as you re-rack the bar).

You’ve just reminded me to go do some foam rolling for my lower back, glutes, hamstrings and IT band.  Thanks

15 hours ago, S John said:

:lol: Yeah. I got a foam roller to try and help with the heel pain I was having with running. It does seem to be helping but it's not the most fun.

Apparently we should be able to start playing outdoor sports again in the UK from the end of March and go to the gym from the 12th of April. So fingers crossed we can start doing something a bit more entertaining than just exercising on your own.

My motivation has been non existent recently and I've ballooned in weight up to 127kg, started last week getting up earlier to walk the dogs and it's helping with my mindset at least. 

Really need to sort my diet out next. 

8 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

My motivation has been non existent recently and I've ballooned in weight up to 127kg, started last week getting up earlier to walk the dogs and it's helping with my mindset at least. 

Really need to sort my diet out next. 

Is your gym on track to survive until the reopening? Must have been a horrendous year for you. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is your gym on track to survive until the reopening? Must have been a horrendous year for you. 

Not really sure at this point mate. We've pretty much run of money at this point, all our savings are gone, if we actually open on April 12th and make a lot of money fast we may just make it. 

Fingers crossed for your gym, Luke!

Regarding my workouts, I'm struggling to get back to my routine of getting up at 6:15 in order to get to my 7:15 training sessions on Monday/Wendesday/Friday. What I have started doing now is to go running on the days I plan on going to the gym and bail out so that the day is not a complete waste, training-wise.

The reason I'm struggling to get up is that my sleeping is off. I really need to go to bed earlier in order to get up earlier, but even when I do that I have trouble falling asleep. I become sleepy around 9PM but can't really go to bed at that time so I power through it and then I'm not sleepy until around midnight. Sorting my sleep needs to be my top priority for the upcoming period, I guess.

56 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Not really sure at this point mate. We've pretty much run of money at this point, all our savings are gone, if we actually open on April 12th and make a lot of money fast we may just make it. 

Heres hoping that so many people are sick of being cooped up and out of shape.