Sign in to follow this  
Leap

Exercise & Fitness: Sickness, Altius, Fortius

40 minutes ago, baxus said:

First of all, venting is definitely not looked down upon in this thread. We've all done it, so feel free to do it. As someone said, don't drag yourself down. If you're in some sort of a rut, you can talk about it here if you feel comfortable doing so. It could be met with "sorry to hear that" or a helpful advice from someone who's been in a similar situation and made it through.

100%. This is mostly a safe space, venting is necessary and cathartic, but self-loathing is counterproductive. @Toth, please feel free to express how you're feeling and/or what you're going through, but at the same time take my and others' advice that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. 

We've had some great weather for a while. We even hit 20ºC which for me means "shorts weather", but for the last couple of days we've hit another cold period and they are even forecasting snow on Tuesday/Wednesday. I mean, I love the cold but once I get to go outside wearing shorts and a t-shirt cold and snow can fuck right off, as far as I'm concerned.

This just reminds me that I need to go shopping for some new clothes. Also, this is how I feel about your Eurocommie Celsius bullshit, even if it's not actually hard to understand.  :P

My exercising has been non-existent over the last couple of weeks. First I pulled something in my back so decided to skip some training and right when that seemed over and done with, my dad passed away so I was preoccupied with funeral arrangements and all that. Planning on going back to training tomorrow but I can easily see myself skipping that and catching up on sleep.

I've got a pretty ambitious day. I want to try the first video in a yoga series @Leap has been doing though it's close to 50 minutes, so other things may have to go. I also want to lift weights for 30-45 minutes, walk at least 20k steps, inspect and clean my bike and take it out for a ride, foam roll, and yes, this is exercise too, wash my staircase. It's getting pretty disgusting by my standards. 

51 minutes ago, baxus said:

Here's all I have to say on units of measurement.

It's called freedumb for a reason! 

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've got a pretty ambitious day. I want to try the first video in a yoga series @Leap has been doing though it's close to 50 minutes, so other things may have to go. I also want to lift weights for 30-45 minutes, walk at least 20k steps, inspect and clean my bike and take it out for a ride, foam roll, and yes, this is exercise too, wash my staircase. It's getting pretty disgusting by my standards. 

Woot! Got everything accomplished except the steps, and that should be fine given the time of day. Time to BBQ!!!

Exercise wise, an absolute piss poor last two weeks for me. Only managed a round of golf on Easter Friday, dragging my golf bag around for 4hrs. The walk was very welcome and the mental benefit outstanding, however the physical benefit was somewhat lessened by the generous quantity of liquid accuracy which my group and I packed with us - a miscommunication meant each of us turned up with a six pack of beers, whereas we normally share a six pack between us. Oh well, a drunk day out on the course is still a great day outdoors.

Hopefully my focus will return from next week. I do have a date later this year as a target to aim for - health wise, so I'm putting in place calendars here and there to prompt me of that looming milestone.  

Gym at work due to open next Monday. I only go in 2 or 3 days a week but it will be nice to ease back into it after all this time. As weather changes I can massively uplift my biking rate as well.  My aim is to cycle 6.5 hours during the week on my commute. 

Day two of the Breath yoga series is in the books. It's a lot harder than I expected.

I’ve been slacking on exercise.  No weights sessions for a week now, but running and gardening outside instead.  Nice to be out in the spring sunshine.  I’m sure I’ll regain interest in resistance training eventually.  My strained neck muscle has recovered at least.

My wife has shifted to a plant-based diet these past three weeks, and I’ve mostly joined her.  She wanted to reduce inflammation to help her shoulder impingement (bursitis), and she happened to watch that Netflix documentary about plant-based diets.  I joined up because I’ve had a Costco frozen cheeseburger for lunch probably 4-5 days a week for the past year, with some fresh fruit or vegetables.  I need to reduce my meat consumption and eat more vegetables.  We still cook meat for our son.  I have non-plant dinners probably twice a week (I cannot resist pizza with ham if some is being ordered), and I still have whey protein or Greek yoghurt most days for protein, but otherwise I’ve been eating mostly a plant diet.  It does feel good, although there’s a few late evenings when I’m feeling very short of calories and eat junk to fill the gap.  

I do wonder if the change in diet partly explains less energy for weightlifting, but for now I’m just blaming that on the change in season and wanting to be outside.

I’m looking forward to getting our pool open for the summer.  I’ll try swimming in May with a wetsuit.

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I do wonder if the change in diet partly explains less energy for weightlifting, but for now I’m just blaming that on the change in season and wanting to be outside.

Outside of the rare baked good, I've been plant based for a couple years and haven't experienced any loss of energy. This winter I actually managed to increase my activity level and put on 15 lbs, well over half of which was lean mass if my body fat scale is accurate (and to my own eye I look as lean as before). I'm kind of dubious on some of the pro-plant based diet claims I see- I think I would probably be about as healthy still keeping chicken, fish, and eggs in my diet, even though I don't- but I'm confident you can be totally plant based with no negative effects. 

Well, you got to add B-12. Ive been plant based for a couple of years too, five maybe, but i remember not eating enough to compensate for skipping cheese in the beginning. Diary apparently was a large part of my calorie intake. 

1 hour ago, Isalie said:

Well, you got to add B-12. Ive been plant based for a couple of years too, five maybe, but i remember not eating enough to compensate for skipping cheese in the beginning. Diary apparently was a large part of my calorie intake. 

True- I do take B-12 supplements. But after only a couple weeks and if he's still eating cheese and yogurt it really shouldn't be an issue. 

Done a few 30 km rides on the new bike to break it in and get used to it. Not monster distances but enough for me for the time being. The difference between even this entry-level road bike and my old commuter is like night and day. Everything is so smooth and light and easy.

41 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

Done a few 30 km rides on the new bike to break it in and get used to it. Not monster distances but enough for me for the time being. The difference between even this entry-level road bike and my old commuter is like night and day. Everything is so smooth and light and easy.

Including picking up punctures. I'd invest in some decent tyres if the ones your bike came with dont have decent protection. 

Like @Iskaral Pust I’ve been slacking as well for about 2 weeks but I return tomorrow. I got my first Covid shot last week and during the week leading up to it I got all superstitious about catching Covid right before I got vaccinated. The gym is definitely the riskiest thing I do in terms of Covid so I took 5-6 days off on either side of the shot. I had also tweaked something in my right shoulder that only just went away so maybe a time out from weights was a good call either way. 

Pretty good day overall. Skipped the yoga session yesterday because I was so sore, but got day 3 in today plus morning yoga, some foam rolling, biking and took close to 20k steps. Need to hit the weights tomorrow though.

Went back to training after almost three weeks off. Felt pretty good. Will see how I feel about it tomorrow. :D 

1st of our 3 months of P90X3 is in the books.  I've been trying to maintain during this and I'm finding it hard to consume enough (good) calories.  I think I need to supplement with another protein shake during the day and at least one more bowl of cereal a day to up my carbs.  I wasn't losing weight at 1700 kcals, but now I can't maintain at 2500 kcals.  It's a good problem to have :) Next week is phase 2, which changes most of what we're doing.  That's been the best part of this, nothing really gets stale since you only do each video 3 times before changing it up.

Just got in a 90 minute workout that was a blend of weight lifting, yoga and foam rolling. I am going to be sore tomorrow...

Been a while since I updated, but I haven't really had much to add since I've mostly just been doing the same each day: yoga + whatever I can be arsed with. 

I've been getting steadily better at the bodyweight exercises I was doing. I started doing incline push-ups yesterday, which felt a lot easier than I expected to be honest. I'll probably make that my standard now. I could probably incline more - my feet were up ~ 50cm. Haven't seen too much change on the scales, but I look way better in the mirror. I've still got about 2 months before we go back to work.

Earlier this week for some reason I thought I should just book myself a train ticket so that I could go cycle somewhere nice, and I don't know what was going through my head at the time but I booked it for 08:05 this morning. I don't particularly struggle with waking up early, but I can't say that hearing my alarm go off at 10 to 7 was the best way to start a Saturday. In any case, I cycled 40km or so, so not bad going. Some friends and I are planning to cycle to France later this year (Covid willing), so I definitely need to work on that though.

And when I got back from that, I had the last day of Adriene's 'Breathe' 30-day yoga to do, which is 50 minutes long. Currently sat with a cup of tea questioning my life choices and looking forward to a takeaway so that I can erase all that hard work.

Been really discouraged over the last three weeks - a shattered big toe and hard boot that will be on for another three weeks put off my plan of at least one mountain climb this year, and all my cardio and HIIT is on pause, as well as most yoga routines.  I’ve been half-heartedly doing ground dumbbell work and pull ups, but it just doesn’t feel the same.

I’m thinking of signing up to do a gym for once I am back, just for a reward and to help me feel like I will come back quicker or have renewed focus.

By the way, if you need a low-key inspirational movie, like a better female Rocky movie, watch “Brittany Runs a Marathon” - both I and my wife (who hates exercising and struggles with body image)  really enjoyed it