Sign in to follow this  
Leap

Exercise & Fitness: Sickness, Altius, Fortius

Two days of bad eating can undo weeks worth of work. Oof. At least the food was good.

Tweaked by neck something fierce last Wednesday night.  Couldn't get off the couch at all on Thursday, but it's been getting better and better every day.  Did some cardio on Saturday and pilates yesterday.  Today was upper body, which overall felt pretty good, but still pretty stiff and sore.  Will continue stretching it and massaging the area with the Theragun.

I just started Lesley Fightmaster's Fix 90 Yoga programme, which I did last year to great effect - probably the fittest I've been in years, despite the fact that I broke my toe 2 months in. What I forgot until about 30 seconds into the first video is that it is absolutely gruelling; much, much harder than Yoga With Adriene. 

I've got a slight tweak with my shoulder that's annoying me. I've noticed it for years when I've tried to throw things with that arm (right), which I used to be really good at but now hurts a lot. It's gotten slightly worse lately which is concerning. My calf also still twinges although it's been a good month since I've run. I'm only 25 for crying out loud! Hopefully this yoga really does fix me rather than exacerbating things. 

Posted (edited)

Not really a strenuous exercise but started walking into work which is over 3 miles each way on a VERY hilly walk & legs are a bit sore but it’s bloody lovely and am really enjoying it. Might get a bike soon and cycle part of it as well mostly to save time because the walk itself is really scenic but I do have lots going on. Feels good! :D 

Edited by Theda Baratheon

Week 1 of the 90-day yoga done, and it was a pretty tough week. I had to stop several times on a few days. My shoulder/upper arm still hurts a bit, but I'm getting a better sense of which way causes the pain now and I'm just stretching more in that direction. Core muscles leave something to be desired, but now that I remember where I was last year, I'm pretty satisfied with where I am at the moment. 

Upper body bodyweight exercises have been going fairly well. I haven't done as many press ups this week because the yoga includes them so much, but I've done a lot of chin-ups and bicep curls too. My arms are probably as big as they've ever been, which is not saying much - in fact I'm pretty sure they're still smaller than average. I've got that much blushed over snowman physique. However, I have lost some weight: I was 74.3kg yesterday down from 76.6kg two and a half weeks ago. I feel that I'm just about on the cusp of being pretty lean again - another kg or two.

Left calf is still twinging, but I've had enough - I'm off out for a run tomorrow morning and we'll see how that goes.

6 miles of walking is quite a bit! Sounds nice. :) 

I've been having issues with getting severe headaches/migraines a few hours after my long runs. This happened again yesterday and it was seriously debilitating. I could barely walk and got nauseated as well. I just am not sure what the cause is or what to do! I'm drinking lots of water, with electrolytes, and eating before, during, and after the run. I feel good during the run and it's only hours later. It's frustrating as hell, because I really enjoy my long runs but don't want to be dreading these stupid headaches. Guess I could try going to the doctor. Maybe more electrolytes? Maybe I'll try a different brand. Blah.

An hour of weight lifting, 20 minutes of yoga and Pilates each, plus a lot of work around the house.

I'm gassed. 

I had three weeks off training, then started training irregularly a bit over two weeks ago. Getting into the old routine is quite difficult for me so far.

I finally managed to get up on time for 7:15 workout which I used to attend regularly up until a bit over a month ago. I woke up and started with the usual excuse ("oh, but I didn't get enough sleep, I won't be able to function properly") and started reorganizing my schedule for the day, thinking I could go in the evening and all that. Thankfully, the other part of my inner self managed to stomp all that into the ground by saying: "but if you go in the evening, you won't be able to play with your daughter". That one was pretty hard to go against :D 

The main part of the workout was a 15 minute AMRAP of thrusters, burpees (probably two movements I hate the most, alongside lunges), hanging knee raises and jumping rope. Lack of training in previous weeks has shown, but I still managed a decent number of reps.

Good upper body session this morning.  Picked up a nice pair of training shoes over the weekend, so I'm excited for my lower body HIIT tomorrow morning.  Last week of phase 2 started today, next week is just stretching and a couple of cardio sessions.  But what I'm most excited for in the next week is that softball is starting back up.  Haven't seen any of my friends in over a year and missed the entire season last year, so dusting off the equipment and hangin' with the guys sounds amazing!

5 hours ago, baxus said:

Getting into the old routine is quite difficult

Oh, I can relate to that. It's been almost six weeks since I renewed my old knee injury in mid-March and I managed just three tries to return to trainings, including two in the past week. I still don't feel entirely comfortable in the knee area, but there was no immediate pain at least. But getting back to regular 3-4 trainings a week still seems a long way. Will try another easy run tomorrow.

Posted (edited)

Gym at work is still closed for no fucking reason.

Honestly most days I was the only person in at the time I would train. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Success! Finally got out for a run after a good month off. At first I was pretty worried because the pressure in my left calf came on in the first quarter of a mile or so, but fortunately it stayed static after that, I stuck to a steady pace, and I had no pain during or after. I've foam rolled diligently for the first time in a week to celebrate. I'll see about going out again tomorrow just to do a few more miles nice and steadily, and after a week or so of that I'll see about building distance again.

Also weighed 73.55kg which is almost disappointing because I feel/look quite bloated this week (thank you, Saturday takeaway). Well, we'll have to keep at it and see where I get. If I can start running regularly I should lose the rest of this fat in no time.

Logged about an hour of weight training, 40 minutes of yoga and >15k steps today. Not bad considering I also worked 9 hours and studied for two more. Probably shouldn't have snacked a bit late night on some mint chip ice cream though, lol. 

I can't exercise anymore. Boo-hoo. It's a dreaded loss. My back pain happens, and then around my time of the month, it gets worse. I should just quit it. Gain some weight and be the person that I want to be. Even though that person may be here already, it is time to start to concentrate on the future. I believe that I need to be ready to be with someone and to have children. 

No workouts last midweek as I recovered from my second vaccine jab.

I had a good run yesterday but then flaked on my weightlifting session today.  I’m still struggling with a lower motivation for weightlifting these past few weeks.  I think perhaps I should try morning sessions rather than evening, but that will require a shift in routine to wake earlier.  I am not a morning person.

Our pool is open now for the summer, but very, very cold.  I don’t want waste energy on the heater so I’ll start swimming in a wetsuit at Memorial Day weekend, and then the water should be warm enough by mid to late June for just regular swim shorts.

Posted (edited)

One thing that helps me when im not motivated to lift is to change amount of reps. If ive been doing few but heavy and feel weak, i switch to like 5×12 or 10×10, and when that feels tedious, i switch back to heavier weights. Right now im feeling kinda fatigued so most lifts are 5×12.

Edited by Isalie

Today started my 2nd "transition week", which just means no lifting, mostly yoga/pilates, and a couple of cardio sessions.  Today was 30 minutes of plank & yoga balance poses.  The rest of the week looks is yoga, cardio, pilates, yoga, cardio, pilates.  Next week starts the last month of my program.  Once I'm done with that I'm going to switch to a 4 day lifting/hiit program for the summer, then try my hand at creating my own program of push-pull-legs-pilates-upper-lower-yoga

Today was the first day I felt like I seriously needed to warm up before exercising. In my life. It sucked. I was only doing yoga and every chaturanga was so hard for the first 5 minutes or so. I ended up getting in some incline press ups, bicep curls, chin ups and hand stands after, so all in all not a bad day.

What do you all eat when cutting fat? Lately I've been in the habit of making turkey steaks + tenderstem broccoli + cherry tomatoes, sometimes swapping in other veg like celery/radish/mushrooms, all of which a younger me is thinking about in disgust. I enjoy it and it's definitely low calorie, but if I stray away from that formula at all whatever I'm making tends to become wildly unhealthy pretty quickly. Any ideas?

i am beginning the powerzone training course for peloton. the premise is you train in isolated zones for strength and endurance. today was the 20 minute assessment test to see where your particular zones are. the instructor stressed the importance of leaving everything you had on this test. 

it might have been the hardest my body has worked in many years. the endorphins are still in effect. my legs feel like ghosts.