Sign in to follow this  
Leap

Exercise & Fitness: Sickness, Altius, Fortius

When I had laser surgery on my eyes, while my pupils were getting back to normal I couldn't read or watch TV or look at any kind of screen for a day, so the only thing left was to walk around my apartment. I did 12-13k steps and it was so boring I wanted to scream. Making 40k steps pacing around just sounds insane!

Posted (edited)

Very gentle recovery jog today due to the tightness in my calves. It's a lovely day, really sunny so I just went out and enjoyed myself. My right calf loosened up after a bit whereas the left one I could feel the whole time. Hopefully another steady jog on Thurs/Friday will give it chance to recover. I tried foam rolling with a tin of tomatoes wrapped in a tea towel last night - not ideal.

Ended up doing 6k at 5:25/km

Edited by Leap

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, baxus said:

When I had laser surgery on my eyes, while my pupils were getting back to normal I couldn't read or watch TV or look at any kind of screen for a day, so the only thing left was to walk around my apartment. I did 12-13k steps and it was so boring I wanted to scream. Making 40k steps pacing around just sounds insane!

Stomach issues. Lots of walking to and from the bathroom with a lot of pacing in between. I hope that explains why my foot hurts today. It's one of those injuries that's so minor you tend to forget about it until you take your first step getting up off of your ass.

I think the total might have also damaged my Fitbit as part of the screen is a little jacked. Oh well, it's over two years old now and one of the many things I just inherited is a brand new smart watch that has all these features plus several more, so I might opt to just use that even if the thing is kind of bulky.

ETA: Got about 25 minutes of yoga and meditation in and came just short of 30k steps.

Edited by Tywin et al.

Hey all.  

Serious apologies if this exact thing was done in the thread already.  Tried to skim and don't think it was.

So I've been trying to build the home gym like a lot of people with all the virus stuff and got a great stand for dips, pull-ups and shit. 

What I wanted to get next was...not a full squat stand.  I just want the two-pronged thing where I can do front squats or bench or lower it to grab the bar for dead lifts or RDL's or all the badass shit.  

My horror and dilemma is this:  DO PLATES REALLY COST THIS MUCH?

I found that stand for like nothing, like under $100 USD.  But then each fucking plate is way more than that?  Figure there's always a chance of craigslist and used and all that but damn, cannot believe how expensive the plates turn out to be.  FML as the kids say.  

17 hours ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

Hey all.  

Serious apologies if this exact thing was done in the thread already.  Tried to skim and don't think it was.

So I've been trying to build the home gym like a lot of people with all the virus stuff and got a great stand for dips, pull-ups and shit. 

What I wanted to get next was...not a full squat stand.  I just want the two-pronged thing where I can do front squats or bench or lower it to grab the bar for dead lifts or RDL's or all the badass shit.  

My horror and dilemma is this:  DO PLATES REALLY COST THIS MUCH?

I found that stand for like nothing, like under $100 USD.  But then each fucking plate is way more than that?  Figure there's always a chance of craigslist and used and all that but damn, cannot believe how expensive the plates turn out to be.  FML as the kids say.  

If you’re buying new, then Olympic plates usually cost $1-2 per pound of weight.  The barbell costs considerably more because it needs to be plated steel, not just cast iron. 

I got a pretty good price locally for rubber-coated cast iron plates with grip holes.  Usually that’s premium pricing.  I’d have to check my invoice but I believe I paid well below $2 per pound for those even though it included a mix of small, mid and large plates (small plates are more expensive per pound).  Neither the store I used nor the manufacturer post their prices online, which is annoying but led me to a pleasant surprise when I got a price in person.  But it was probably discounted too because I was buying several thousand dollars worth of home gym equipment all at once.

Dumbbell sets get expensive because you end up with more total weight than your plates.

BTW a squat stand that cost less than $100 is probably not rated for much weight.  Beware of low quality pig iron and/or cheap welding.  I got a decent one for $300-400 that is rated for 300lbs.

On 3/10/2021 at 2:22 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

If you’re buying new, then Olympic plates usually cost $1-2 per pound of weight.  The barbell costs considerably more because it needs to be plated steel, not just cast iron. 

I got a pretty good price locally for rubber-coated cast iron plates with grip holes.  Usually that’s premium pricing.  I’d have to check my invoice but I believe I paid well below $2 per pound for those even though it included a mix of small, mid and large plates (small plates are more expensive per pound).  Neither the store I used nor the manufacturer post their prices online, which is annoying but led me to a pleasant surprise when I got a price in person.  But it was probably discounted too because I was buying several thousand dollars worth of home gym equipment all at once.

Dumbbell sets get expensive because you end up with more total weight than your plates.

BTW a squat stand that cost less than $100 is probably not rated for much weight.  Beware of low quality pig iron and/or cheap welding.  I got a decent one for $300-400 that is rated for 300lbs.

Sweet advice, thanks!  I had no idea (but guess should not be too shocked) that there's a rule of thumb on cost per weight but hadn't even encountered that in the little bit of research I'd done.

On that stand that's good to think about too.  I was not looking to do too much weight with it.  In fact the only lifts I was thinking I might use it for directly would be front squats and overhead press, and my front squat is on the weak side.

I thought about trying to do front squats without a rack by just sort of doing a power clean into front squat position and then repping the squat, but some part of my mind tells me this is a bad idea.

That just now makes me realize:  When I was in HS (some time ago) there was a huge emphasis on "how much can you clean?" but I swear that no one talks about cleans anymore.  Did they fall out of favor with training at some point?  If I check out any fitness sites I still see all kinds of talk about just about everything else but almost never cleans.  I also recall back in the day that some people could clean more because they had really good form/technique as opposed to them being stronger than others...maybe that's related.

Posted (edited)

Well, I just went out for a decent run. 8.5km at ~5:09/km, so a bit slower than usual but not terrible. Both calves were quite sore though. I don't want to stop running, but I may have to take a week off if this doesn't improve.

Additionally, my watch didn't start properly - or rather, the delay when I started it caused me to 'start' it again, which I later realised was actually me pausing it at exactly 0.00km. This is the third or fourth problem I've had with this watch in several weeks and it's very frustrating. It may be time for an upgrade - I've had this one 2/3 years, although that's not really very long. Miffed.

However, I did weigh 76.1kg despite failing a bit at my food intake this week, so all is not lost.

Edit: Seem to have really pulled something because walking around all aft has been a nightmare. Might take Sunday off at this rate, or get some yoga in for a few days instead.

Edited by Leap

17 hours ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

Sweet advice, thanks!  I had no idea (but guess should not be too shocked) that there's a rule of thumb on cost per weight but hadn't even encountered that in the little bit of research I'd done.

On that stand that's good to think about too.  I was not looking to do too much weight with it.  In fact the only lifts I was thinking I might use it for directly would be front squats and overhead press, and my front squat is on the weak side.

I thought about trying to do front squats without a rack by just sort of doing a power clean into front squat position and then repping the squat, but some part of my mind tells me this is a bad idea.

That just now makes me realize:  When I was in HS (some time ago) there was a huge emphasis on "how much can you clean?" but I swear that no one talks about cleans anymore.  Did they fall out of favor with training at some point?  If I check out any fitness sites I still see all kinds of talk about just about everything else but almost never cleans.  I also recall back in the day that some people could clean more because they had really good form/technique as opposed to them being stronger than others...maybe that's related.

Cleans - they're still out there, I think part of the lack of visibility to them is that from an Olympic standpoint there is no Clean category; it's either clean & jerk or snatch.  However, most movements that include a barbell from the floor require a clean so getting good at them is sort of foundational for many other movements.

They're definitely related - pure strength can get you to a point but not having good form will limit just how effective the movement can be for a person.  Snatch even more so - such a technical movement.

20 hours ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

Like Greywolf2375 mentioned, cleans have not gone away. Where the Deadlift and Squats (from a rack) are superb for building strength, the Clean (on its own or as part of the Clean & Jerk) and the Snatch are great for power & speed. Power develops from the need to accelerate the bar when you're past the deadlift phase of the lift, and speed is needed for optimum transition into the catch position which is the bottom of a Front Squat or Over Head Squat.    

----
Weird last couple of weeks. Failed to get to any workout classes in the week before last - late conference call meetings at work always seemed to finish a few minutes too late to make it to the last gym session. However this past week was great. Worked out every day and even did a sixth session when I attended the Olympic Lifting class last night. Feeling good.   

Think I'd gotten myself stuck in a bit of a vicious cycle. Basically all the key exercises I do for climbing are bodyweight based, could really tell if I was weighing a couple kg more or less based on pullup / finger strength. Result of that was a constant battle to restrict my calorie intake and stay light as possible.

Anyway have plateaued since late last year on pretty much everything (though I was spending a bit of time rehabbing a finger injury in that time too), and I'm beginning to think it's a nutrition issue. So starting a couple month cycle where I'm increasing my macro intake by 20-25% and going lower weight higher rep sets. Trying to stimulate a bit of muscle growth before going back into a strength training phase, and going to ignore it if I put on a few kg in the process.

Posted (edited)

My midweek workouts didn’t happen again, aside from a couple of walks in nice sunshine. Work just stretched too late into the evenings.  When Friday evening rolled around, I was feeling wiped out but I persuaded myself it was my brain that was tired rather than my muscles, and I forced myself to exercise.  I did a session of shoulder press, pull-ups and lat raises.  It went surprisingly well.

Then Saturday was squats and dead lifts, which also went well, and was helped by foam rolling my hamstrings between sets. Then Sunday was bench press and rowing.  I was feeling some accumulated muscles soreness on my third consecutive days of weightlifting, but it was still a reasonably good session.

I need to rest today for sure, but hopefully I’ll get something this midweek, even if I do have some late calls with China and Australia again.

Edited by Iskaral Pust
Edit: I noticed an autocorrect to fix

My wife’s plantar fasciitis seems much improved after more than a year off running, even if her recent shoulder impingement is ongoing (bursitis, apparently; she finally went to a doctor).  So we went on Saturday to get her a treadmill for running.  We picked out an orthopedic model that has a noticeably cushioned platform to hopefully prevent a recurrence of the plantar fasciitis.  This treadmill is a lot more expensive than I was planning to spend, but the cushioning effect is significant compared to a standard model, and that’s what my wife thinks she needs.  It should be delivered early in April.

The fitness equipment store also had a pretty good leg press & hack squat machine available at a 40% discount.  I was tempted to buy it in order to have an alternative to barbell squats.  But I would need to buy loads of plates too.  I usually do 600-700lbs on leg press, and I don’t think this model can even hold more than 12 45lb plates total, so I’d need to get over-sized plates too.  Not worth it.  This is why leg press only happens at the gym.

On 3/12/2021 at 3:50 AM, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

Cleans are great for explosiveness and a good idea for anyone who plays sports but for general health and fitness? Not really needed so that's probably why. 

Does anyone else motivate themselves with High Drama? I’m on my own personal fitness journey at the moment, not because I want to be thinner & more socially attractive but because I want to get STRONG to VANQUISH MY ENEMIES

honestly this motivation is working a LOT better for me...I just need to find a new Arch Nemesis

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Does anyone else motivate themselves with High Drama? I’m on my own personal fitness journey at the moment, not because I want to be thinner & more socially attractive but because I want to get STRONG to VANQUISH MY ENEMIES

honestly this motivation is working a LOT better for me...I just need to find a new Arch Nemesis

Sometimes, sure. The problem is that every gym I have ever been to plays rap and electronic music exclusively during group training workouts. Everyone knows that METAL is the only appropriate genre for training to CRUSH THE FUCKING SKULLS of your enemies, but for some reason they won’t let me make the playlists.

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

1 hour ago, S John said:

Sometimes, sure. The problem is that every gym I have ever been to plays rap and electronic music exclusively during group training workouts. Everyone knows that METAL is the only appropriate genre for training to CRUSH THE FUCKING SKULLS of your enemies, but for some reason they won’t let me make the playlists.

This is one negative side of weightlifting for exercise.  I find myself adopting an aggressive mind frame as I lift, so my brain is concocting adversarial scenarios between sets so that I have imagined enemies to vanquish via bench press.  Then I have to remind myself afterward that my colleague or whoever hasn’t actually done me wrong.

But it is great if you’re already feeling annoyed with someone.

It’s not unique to weightlifting.  I used to get very competitive in all the sports during an actual match.  But you can still be in a laughing/happy mode while running, cycling, shooting hoops, kicking a ball around with a friend, etc.  I’m rarely in a happy-go-lucky mood as I’m lifting something heavy to failure even though it’s a non-competitive setting.

Gyms in Serbia are closing down tomorrow and will remain closed until Monday, at least. Pretty much everything other than running or workouts in parks will be off the table for recreational athletes. Now I feel even worse for skipping yesterday's workout though I attribute that to after-effects of the vaccine I got on Friday. It just made me sleepy and getting up early was not that easy for me to begin with.

I'll probably go work on my double-unders in my building's garage later this evening and run or do yoga or something over the coming week.

3 hours ago, S John said:

THANK YOU!!! Finally someone who agrees with me!

Don't get me wrong, I like rap and electronic music just fine when working out, but there needs to be some metal thrown into the mix.

The music you need to listen to while working out is the same music that causes you to go 20 MPH over the speed limit without realizing it.

Half hour of yoga and a half hour of shoveling. I'm calling it a day. Foot pain is finally starting to go down and I don't want to reaggravate it.

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

Perks of being the gym owner. Metal is always playing. 

I want to see the strongman/woman gym that only plays classical music.