Sign in to follow this  
Leap

Exercise & Fitness: Sickness, Altius, Fortius

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I want to see the strongman/woman gym that only plays classical music. 

We have one member who plays some realllly chilled our instrumental stuff when he's in so it's always a bit jarring walking in when he's training hah. 

15 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

We have one member who plays some realllly chilled our instrumental stuff when he's in so it's always a bit jarring walking in when he's training hah. 

I picture a strongman gym that plays classical music also having a gardening area, maybe that has some goats with a a hen house and a small library off to the side. And a converted keg fridge, of course.

I don’t really like metal - I’m going to imagine being a powerful sorceress defeating all who have wronged me whilst listening to ethereal female vocalists :lol: and staring at the sea & coast...

Anyway I definitely want to get back to running and maybe rejoin a gym when I can again but I’m also enjoying walking miles along the coast recently and have found from just coastal walking & a bit of a calorie deficit I’m feeling a lot fitter and leaner. 

14 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Perks of being the gym owner. Metal is always playing. 

If I ever move to Wales, I'll definitely join your gym. If you don't mind me doing burpees in a corner from time to time :D 

8 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I don’t really like metal - I’m going to imagine being a powerful sorceress defeating all who have wronged me whilst listening to ethereal female vocalists :lol: and staring at the sea & coast... 

There's metal, and then there's metal... I'd dare say imagining you're a sorceress would be pretty hard to do while listening to thrash metal. ;) 

8 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Anyway I definitely want to get back to running and maybe rejoin a gym when I can again but I’m also enjoying walking miles along the coast recently and have found from just coastal walking & a bit of a calorie deficit I’m feeling a lot fitter and leaner. 

Plenty of metal out there with ethereal female vocalists!

4 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Plenty of metal out there with ethereal female vocalists!

Yeah I can take the folky type stuff if I find out the artists aren’t nazis 

Windhand is a band I really like that might tick some of those boxes. It’s doom metal though so, generally very heavy but plodding in pace and maybe not ideal for working out. Doom metal and desert rock tend to be my normal everyday jams, but working out is usually definitely more in the thrash category. Or Pantera. Something with some pace and anger with devastating riffs.

Got back into Yoga today. I've had a few days off running due to 1) sore calves and 2) awaiting results of a third (!) covid test. It was nice to start again with Adriene's Breathe, which I did a few days of in January. In my new flat I have not only enough floor space to practice yoga, but a TV to play it on too. It was tough in places, but overall really good. I look forward to the next day.

Covid test came back negative, which I guess is good news but in reality just means I seriously need to see a doctor about my lungs, which are still not right 6 months on from having the real thing. 

Calves are still sore after 6 days off. I might go for a bike ride tomorrow if I'm up early enough (London isn't Rome, but it's still pretty dangerous on the road even in the middle of a pandemic) just to stretch my legs and get some 'fresh' air. 

Posted (edited)

Right foot is finally not hurting too bad. I've already done 25 min yoga and 10 min foam rolling sessions today. Going to start a 30 min yoga session in a bit followed by some meditation. Was also hoping to log over 20k steps, but I think I'll fail there. Thankfully the weather is starting to take a positive turn and I can get back to jogging and biking outside soon.

ETA: When you do the yoga for relaxation video that at the end calls for you to lay down with a blanket over you and a pillow on your back and you wake up a half hour later beginning to follow the random yoga video that's playing...

Edited by Tywin et al.

One of the most frustrating things about still living with my parents (looking for places to rent at present so hopefully not too much longer) is sometimes I have all this energy but I can’t exercise at home at all - there is no space in this tiny house, dad seems to constantly be working and you can hear everything that happens in this house, even a whisper. 

one of my criteria for moving somehow now is literally straight from the Step Brothers movie :lol: I want room for activities!! 

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Right foot is finally not hurting too bad. I've already done 25 min yoga and 10 min foam rolling sessions today. Going to start a 30 min yoga session in a bit followed by some meditation. Was also hoping to log over 20k steps, but I think I'll fail there. Thankfully the weather is starting to take a positive turn and I can get back to jogging and biking outside soon.

ETA: When you do the yoga for relaxation video that at the end calls for you to lay down with a blanket over you and a pillow on your back and you wake up a half hour later beginning to follow the random yoga video that's playing...

Speaking of falling asleep, i do this one every evening before going to bed.

Have also added the 90 days of yoga series, so now its day 1: pullups and arm, day 2: bench and shoulders, day 3: legs, day 4: yoga, repeat. 

Have dropped the running completely during the winter, but will try to add two short, slow runs/week.

My motivation for exercise has just crashed right down through the floor for the past couple of weeks. Can't bring myself to run, can't bring myself to do any home workouts. The only silver lining is that I'm managing to do a fair amount of low-level activity. I go biking with a friend once or twice a week; it's a slow pace on our heavy commuter bikes but it gets me moving. I walk an hour or so every day. I have a doorway pull-up bar that I do a rep or two on every time I pass it. So whilst I don't have a structured workout routine at the moment at least I'm doing something. I'm not stationary.

But still, I am very much looking forward to gyms opening again.

45 minutes of deep yin yoga today, after the same of HIIT yesterday.  May do some hangboard training this afternoon, which has some good pull-up reps and core stuff too.

I really enjoy having enough weight and options for having a good home workout routine.  But damn it, I think for the first time, I am going to get a gym membership, just for variety. I’d like to have options of just doing a bike for an hour if I want, or doing squats, or having a curl bench at my fingertips.

Went for another fast 10 mile coastal walk today and am blown away by my changing fitness levels, like being able to power up massive hills and steps and walk miles fairly quickly along that kind of terrain feels amazing but I am genuinely looking forward to the gym as well because I want a bit more variety and to be targeting different parts of my body. Definitely the healthiest mindset I’ve ever been in in terms of fitness. 

On 3/19/2021 at 7:11 AM, Isalie said:

Speaking of falling asleep, i do this one every evening before going to bed.

Have also added the 90 days of yoga series, so now its day 1: pullups and arm, day 2: bench and shoulders, day 3: legs, day 4: yoga, repeat. 

Have dropped the running completely during the winter, but will try to add two short, slow runs/week.

Her video's are like >95% of the yoga routines I do. Can't recommend checking out Adriene enough. 

Clocked in 45-60 minutes of weight lifting this morning, but I'm still being super lazy on the cardio side. Had hoped to log >20k steps today,  but I'm only at 13k and don't plan on going jogging tonight, thought the weather is finally complying. I do hope to do a bit of light yoga, foam rolling a meditation tonight though, after I eat and read some. I'm just happy my foot doesn't feel like someone hit it with a hammer so I can get back at it. Man the last week or so was miserable. Couldn't even go for a walk in the park or by the lakes given how bad it was.

Chest infection has pretty much cleared up and knee feels a lot better. 20 mile bike ride planned for this afternoon. I need to work on my cardio a lot and get some weight off immediately. 

Well, lungs are a bit back to normal (nearly) after a few days. I went for my first run after 11 days off, and unfortunately it went really badly. I was able to breathe almost normally - there was a slight bit of struggle, but it wasn't too uncomfortable (relative to how I normally breathe while running). However, my left calf almost completely knotted up by the end. I could feel it as a bit of a twinge when I started, but I'd hoped it would go away. A bit over the 4km mark it just became silly, I could have kept running but it just felt daft - clearly doing myself an injury. So I limped back home. 

I guess I'm going to have to take a bit more time off, try to massage the leg more, and see about cycling or something else. 

I've been doing yoga, though - yoga with Adriene again after the rec from Tywin last spring. I am just working my way through the aptly named 'Breathe' series now, and I am finding myself sink into it more and more as it goes on. Last summer I also did a 90 day series by Fightmaster Yoga which was really good - I was sad to learn that the instructor passed away at age 50 in November. It's a great series for anyone looking for a more physically demanding session than you usually get with Adriene, though.