Sign in to follow this  
Leap

Exercise & Fitness: Sickness, Altius, Fortius

On 3/27/2021 at 10:28 PM, S John said:

@Starkess 

@MercenaryChef 

Good luck y’all!

My gym has decent playlists for the workouts but it’s very heavily hip hop. Which I don’t mind, but it gets stale after the 30th time. Last week one of the trainers said hey if any of you guys want to make a playlist let me know!

I hope my class is ready for some fucking head banging face melters. 

One semester in college I took a course that was basically called "Introduction to Running." I always tried to take at least one 1 credit PE class, especially because at the UofMN anything after the first 13 credits is free, and that was what you had to meet to make the Dean's List (only missed in one semester because I dropped a 5 credit Into to German course after signing up to study abroad in Argentina). We each got to take turns setting the play list for basically an hour long stretching and jogging class twice a week.

Trust me, the key is to start the playlist with a few misleading songs before your actual playlist starts. Mine started with a few tame things from a few genres and then, IIRC, on fourth this dropped and the teacher was taken aback and it was all hard rap and metal afterwards, but again sprinkle in a few random songs that are so out of place and tone:

Posted (edited)

Lost about 12 pounds now slowly and surely over the past couple of months. Really happy with this as I haven’t even been all that intensive with my exercise, just lots of walking and some running. So am excited to see how I go when I add in the gym and more intensive workouts. 

Im using weight as my goals for now just because I was fairly overweight - so I’m also interested to see that when I get into the “healthy” BMI weight range (I know it’s very simplified and not accurate for everyone) how my goals and fitness and relationship to food & exercise starts to change. 

Edited by Theda Baratheon

Yoga day today, which was absolutely needed since it feels like someone is slicing my achilles when I'm in down dog (and only that one particular stretch).  After I beat the hell out of my calves for 20 minutes with the Theragun and two things happened.  First and foremost, the pain in my achilles is pretty much gone.  Secondly, I now have the sorest calves in the world right now.  Will be treating myself to some CBD treatments, a solid night's sleep, and a push/pull day tomorrow

More paddle boarding this evening after work. Weather was perfect for it; cool but not chilly, very mild breeze, blue skies with some wispy cloud and a gorgeous sunset.

I got attacked by a fucking swan though. Fuck swans.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Liffguard said:

My grandfather lived on a lake in a gated community and I'd visit him in California at least twice a year. One time when I was a kid there was this giant, mean as fuck swan living in his lake and it would chase everyone off. My dad and I came across it one time while on a golf cart, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it felt like it was chasing us like the Rex was chasing the jeep in Jurassic Park, and my dad kept slowing down to let it get real close to my side.

Edited by Tywin et al.

6 hours ago, Liffguard said:

You just got in a little bit of agility training, courtesy of Mother Nature!

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

My grandfather lived on a lake in a gated community and I'd visit him in California at least twice a year. One time when I was a kid there was this giant, mean as fuck swan living in his lake and it would chase everyone off. My dad and I came across it one time while on a gold cart, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it felt like it was chasing us like the Rex was chasing the jeep in Jurassic Park, and my dad kept slowing down to let it get real close to my side.

Tbh if you go out in public in a gold cart you should probably expect some level of harassment

5 hours ago, Leap said:

Tbh if you go out in public in a gold cart you should probably expect some level of harassment

Oops, lol.

Quick question, is the "Breathe" series you're doing more intense yoga or is it more relaxing, meditative yoga? Through doing meditation I'm getting a lot better at focusing on my breathing, and I'm starting to be able to target my breath so sore spots and honestly, it can feel better than traditional stretching. 

Getting lots of cycling today. I normally cycle for 45 mins to station then get train home. Today due to a fatality on the tracks I have to take a different train and cycle for another 75 mins home. Which wouldn't be bad but I've only just started up again after a 2 month break due to knee injury and chest infection. My perineum will be fucking battered. 

I hate my body, I hate my body, I fucking hate my body!

So I went out for a jogging trip down my usual route yesterday morning, though it was more of a walking trip because the weather had been horrible all this time and I hadn't been jogging in ages. The result was a massive headache and for some reason a belly ache the whole day.

And today I woke up and once again am plagued by cold symptoms. AGAIN.

And there go my plans to be more active during the Easter holidays...

7 hours ago, Toth said:

I hate my body, I hate my body, I fucking hate my body!

You just talked about going for a jog. Imagine how someone might feel readying this who is paralyzed. 

Stop beating yourself up so much, same as in the dating thread. If you approach everything with such negativity you'll just feed into a downward cycle that will only make you feel worse. 

Yeah, sorry. I should be totally grateful that every attempt to fix my body just causes me to feel even more miserable. I will try another go today. Hopefully it ends better. But I will refrain from venting on the internet as to not drag anyone here down.

And funny thing you mention the dating thread. Don't worry, you won't see me there anymore either. I realized yesterday that it was the height of folly to try to connect with people this way while I'm still stuck in my current living situation. But since it takes time to change and I am already far too old to catch up on normal human development, I decided to just give up. It's far healthier this way instead of worrying about things that will just fuck me up more.

Dude, it's not that you're "dragging anyone here down", it's that you're dragging yourself down. Venting is normal and fine, but having a permanently negative attitude is not doing yourself any favors. There are so many things in life that you cannot control, but you can control (to an extent) your reactions. I mean this very honestly (as someone who has diagnosed mental illnesses): you should try therapy.

Outdoor team sports are allowed again in the UK this week and we had our first training session for a few months for rugby last night. All it we did was play some touch rugby and I’m massively unfit but it was great to actually play some sport for the first time in 2021. I think it’s literally the most fun I’ve had so far this year. 

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a cheap used road bike. I've been so inconsistent in my running motivation recently, but actually enjoying bike rides on my commuter hybrid, so decided it was worth trying a slightly sportier machine. If it turns out I don't like it that much I can probably sell it on for not much less than I bought it for.

Spring is here and it's 70 degrees in Minneapolis. I did a half hour blend of yoga and meditation outside while soaking up the sun a bit ago. Probably would have fallen asleep with the latter if not for two dogs sniffing my face half the time. 

Wish I had fixed up my bike sooner. Probably need to look into buying a new one anyways given it's over a decade old and nothing special. 

We hit 70F today for the first time. Spent hours just walking around outside soaking in the sunlight and marveling that all is not depressing and grim forever. Gods I hate winter.

My back is feeling loads better, so I think I can be back in the gym next week!

26 minutes ago, Starkess said:

We hit 70F today for the first time. Spent hours just walking around outside soaking in the sunlight and marveling that all is not depressing and grim forever. Gods I hate winter.

My back is feeling loads better, so I think I can be back in the gym next week!

Plagiarism much? :P

On 4/2/2021 at 1:31 PM, Toth said:

Yeah, sorry. I should be totally grateful that every attempt to fix my body just causes me to feel even more miserable. I will try another go today. Hopefully it ends better. But I will refrain from venting on the internet as to not drag anyone here down.

And funny thing you mention the dating thread. Don't worry, you won't see me there anymore either. I realized yesterday that it was the height of folly to try to connect with people this way while I'm still stuck in my current living situation. But since it takes time to change and I am already far too old to catch up on normal human development, I decided to just give up. It's far healthier this way instead of worrying about things that will just fuck me up more.

First of all, venting is definitely not looked down upon in this thread. We've all done it, so feel free to do it. As someone said, don't drag yourself down. If you're in some sort of a rut, you can talk about it here if you feel comfortable doing so. It could be met with "sorry to hear that" or a helpful advice from someone who's been in a similar situation and made it through.

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Spring is here and it's 70 degrees in Minneapolis. I did a half hour blend of yoga and meditation outside while soaking up the sun a bit ago. Probably would have fallen asleep with the latter if not for two dogs sniffing my face half the time. 

Wish I had fixed up my bike sooner. Probably need to look into buying a new one anyways given it's over a decade old and nothing special. 

We've had some great weather for a while. We even hit 20ºC which for me means "shorts weather", but for the last couple of days we've hit another cold period and they are even forecasting snow on Tuesday/Wednesday. I mean, I love the cold but once I get to go outside wearing shorts and a t-shirt cold and snow can fuck right off, as far as I'm concerned.

My exercising has been non-existent over the last couple of weeks. First I pulled something in my back so decided to skip some training and right when that seemed over and done with, my dad passed away so I was preoccupied with funeral arrangements and all that. Planning on going back to training tomorrow but I can easily see myself skipping that and catching up on sleep.

I can echo frustrations with your own body. Getting older, being stuck in lockdown and not being able to regularly go to the gym has meant that I've basically crippled myself and turned into some tight badly formed ball of a human. Every time I try and exercise I pull something or am wrecked the next day. It can be very frustrating. Plus I'm surrounded by snacks all the time and cannot prevent myself from going to them. I've gone from being pretty damn in shape with a 'squint to see it 6 pack', to being a flabby jelly like man.

It makes me annoyed, but I guess it's about taking it slowly, and adjusting my routine to the problems I'm facing.