Golf: The Majors and Minors 2021

Mr. Chatywin et al.

39 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I don'T have an issue with those archery events. It's not merely the concentration aspect, the bows are not easy, and you also need quite a bit of strength and they are quite difficult to draw. It's those pistol/gun shooting events and effing golf, where I draw an (admittedly rather arbitrary) line.

Have you ever gone skeet shooting? It's not easy. And golf may be the hardest sport in the world that everyone can actually play.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And golf may be the hardest sport in the world that everyone can actually play.

In capitalist countries maybe, but I never got the point of wasting so much land and water and resources over a sport that is physically meh. Carlin's rant comes to mind everytime i think of golf

Carlin's rant.

Basically, yes. And he didn't even get to rage that hose folks are not even walking, but are using those silly carts to get around, and have a serf to carry their equipment.

That golf is still popular after the invention of those blue pills is the thing, I find somewhat more surprising.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

54 minutes ago, The_Lone_Wolf said:

In capitalist countries maybe, but I never got the point of wasting so much land and water and resources over a sport that is physically meh. Carlin's rant comes to mind everytime i think of golf

And I grew up visiting my grandparents who lived in a gated community which hosts one of the LPGA Majors. It's just one of many impressive things in life I shrug at. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And I grew up visiting my grandparents who lived in a gated community which hosts one of the LPGA Majors. It's just one of many impressive things in life I shrug at. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Carlin's rant.

Basically, yes. And he didn't even get to rage that hose folks are not even walking, but are using those silly carts to get around, and have a serf to carry their equipment.

That golf is still popular after the invention of those blue pills is the thing, I find somewhat more surprising.

:laugh:

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2021 at 7:39 AM, ljkeane said:

Whistling Straits doesn’t look a particularly American golf course.

It's a northern course (about 100 miles or so south of me) so there will be no palms, more of a hardwood zone. 

Whistler is on the west coast of Lake Michigan, there's natural dunes there that are geographically convenient for courses. The eastern shore is particularly situated with miles and miles of shoreside rolling dunes and hardwood. Niklaus has designed some nice resorts near Traverse Bay and other spots.

The thing is with the northern courses, it's a truncated golf season as we have severe cold winters and lake effect snow.

But the summers along those shores are heavenly.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It's a northern course (about 100 miles or so south of me) so there will be no palms, more of a hardwood zone. 

Whistler is on the west coast of Lake Michigan, there's natural dunes there that are geographically convenient for courses. 

I meant the links style is very traditional for a British or Irish course. You hardly ever see them in the US. Interesting change of pace I suppose. ETA: I should say you hardly ever see them on the PGA tour, there may well be loads of them around that you don’t see a lot of on tv.

Anyway, the European team are pretty stuffed here. There’s a strong chance this is ending up with an embarrassing score line.

Edited by ljkeane

48 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I meant the links style is very traditional for a British or Irish course. You hardly ever see them in the US.

Random change of pace from our other back and forth, but is there a huge difference? I grew up playing on a pro course here States side, but have never been to Europe. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Random change of pace from our other back and forth, but is there a huge difference? I grew up playing on a pro course here States side, but have never been to Europe. 

In terms of how they play? I’m not an expert but I’d say generally there’s less margin for error on links courses and they also tend to be pretty windy by the sea (or lake in this case). 

• 6 months later...

I'm having a bit of a lark reading Goldfinger, the chapters where he and Bond are dueling on the links while having the Masters on in the background. It's certainly more entertaining than this tournament has been, Tiger or not.

Haven't watched any of it but looked up this Scheffler kid a few hours ago and saw he just became the #1 ranked player a few weeks ago.  Wonder if he's got a chance to be the next big thing.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Haven't watched any of it but looked up this Scheffler kid a few hours ago and saw he just became the #1 ranked player a few weeks ago.  Wonder if he's got a chance to be the next big thing.

Every year there's the next big thing, and then they just fade into the pack. So much for Koepka vs. DeChambuea. Or where ever the corpse of Spieth is.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Every year there's the next big thing, and then they just fade into the pack.

Yeah but it's been a few years now.  Koepka was the last one and that was four years ago.

36 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

McIlroy (another one who promised so much) seemed happy with his second place finish. Apart from that, Tiger brings the ratings up, even more so today, which probably translates to better paydays for everyone involved. Win-win.

100%. The new batch aren't afraid of him and know he's a ratings monster. They all want him to be in the hunt come Sunday.

McIlroy should be happy with his day today.  He made 7 figures moving from the teens up, maybe even after expenses besides tax.

From a drama point of view, it's too bad that Joe Dirt looking guy put one in the pond on 12 or 13.  Rory did everything he could today, but by the end, it was way too large a lead to give up.

That Joe dirt looking guy is Cameron Smith an Aussie, he just won the players a few weeks ago. Took home 3.6 mil. Shame he chunked it in the creek on 12 and made a triple. He shot 68 in round 1 with 8 birdies and opened and closed the round with doubles.

• 1 month later...

PGA has officially suspended all golfers taking part in LIV's first tournament. I personally think they should have banned them all for life. 

I've wanted to have a larger conversation on sports washing for a while now. This example has always seemed extremely odd to me. How are they going to make up any of the insane amounts they're throwing around? Do they even care?