MCUniverse: Into the Spider-Thread

SpaceChampion

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

So, he's suggesting re-branding the previous films to retroactively suck them into the MCU? Might as well. Disney will end up owning it all in 10 years anyway. I just hope we get another animated Miles Morales film before that happens.

There have been active rumors of Maguire and Garfield being cast for SM3 for a while now.

24 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

My favorite fake (non-official joke) title is the WandaVision reference:

Reveal hidden contents

I think I'd like to watch that movie more than the real Spiderman 3, whatever it ends up being called. 

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

So, he's suggesting re-branding the previous films to retroactively suck them into the MCU?

Huh?  This are fake titles for Spiderman 3, not rebranding the previous movies.  This guy is taking those as hints referring to who will be in the movie being filmed right now.

That title and Jon Watts moving on to Fantastic Four after this wraps adds credence to the rumour that Marvel and Sony worked out a deal for one more movie that will remove Holland-Spider-Man from the MCU and into the Sonyverse.

40 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That title and Jon Watts moving on to Fantastic Four after this wraps adds credence to the rumour that Marvel and Sony worked out a deal for one more movie that will remove Holland-Spider-Man from the MCU and into the Sonyverse.

That’d be a shame, but I guess it’s slightly cleaner than having Holland in both but the MCU contradicting the Sony stuff. Maybe opens the door for Miles Morales afterwards? Not sure how the Vulture appearing in Morpheus fits in here either.

If Holland's Spidey is jumping universes, it's either to one that is without Spiderman so far, or one of the other two in which that universe's Spiderman dies.  I could see him jumping to Garfield's Amazing Spiderman universe.  Maybe a Spider-Gwen from yet another universe would join him there, since Gwen Stacey is killed off there.

1 hour ago, Mr Gordo said:

Where are these rumors coming from? This is the first I've heard this and, frankly, I find it hilariously improbable.

I doubt there's real insider info, just supposition from how Sony seem to want to pull Holland into their own projects like Venom but haven't been able to (Marvel presumably have to okay that and they haven't so far) and they and Marvel clearly had problems with the deal last year which is why it nearly got scuppered and that had to wrangle a new one. 

Marvel's preference is to get Spider-Man back, but Sony would likely only accept a truly insane amount of money for that (maybe $3-5 billion would do it, but much less than that I think is a non-starter) and Marvel probably won't pay that, unless they think they're going to do 4 or more films with Holland after this one.

It depends how confident Sony is that a non-MCU Spider-Man film will perform, even with Holland in the role, or if they think they'll make more bank from continuing the MCU collaboration. I think Into the Spider-Verse has made Sony a lot more confident about that.

1 hour ago, Vaughn said:

Can the MCU keep Zendaya and Marisa Tomei  at least?

So the deal Sony have is a licence for any and all characters who have originated in a mainline Spider-Man comic, even those signed since the deal was done (hence how Miles and the team showed up in Spider-Verse). So any character originating in a Spider-Man title is owned by Sony (in film terms anyway). Thus Venom, Green Goblin, Vulture, MJ, Gwen, Aunt May etc.

Sony signed a deal basically sub-letting the characters to Marvel Studios for 3 movies. Once that expires, Marvel can't use them again until they sign a new deal, or they buy the rights back to the characters from Sony or the termination clause triggers, which is probably if they go x number of years (either seven or ten, as I believe they went over the five-year mark between Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man) without making a Spider-Man film. And that's never going to happen.

Or Disney say fuck it and buy Sony outright.

13 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The idea of a Tom Holland Spider-Man movie without the MCU will be terrible.  

Yeah I agree. Not sure they'll be able to do a "lighter" movie given the darker themes Sony has pursued in the past. I also wonder why they desire to keep the "Home" reference in all of these movie titles. It's funny to think that Holland might be stuck in the Sony universe at the end of the movie with no way of getting back to the MCU..

29 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The idea of a Tom Holland Spider-Man movie without the MCU will be terrible.  

Yeah.  I love Holland in the MCU, but I don’t see how he could carry a movie outside it.  Honestly, I think Garfield was the best for that.  Sadly, he was a great “older Pete” that they shoehorned into a teenager role and then were upset they didn’t stay younger.

Archived