MCUniverse: Into the Spider-Thread

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Not sure about that one. I think he's mainly a Spidey villain, so probably Sony. The deals Marvel did back when appear to be fuzzy in places but I'm fairly sure Mysterio would have been covered.

My bad, I am comics illiterate.

I doubt Marvel or Sony are hung up on the specific actors as the whole MCU will need to reset sooner rather than later. Given the production times, pretty much all of the current cast will age out within a movie or three. Thor ages way, way slower than Chris Hemsworth, etc... Given the vast cast of characters they have though, I assumed that the content would just shift away from the Avengers core pretty quickly vs. endlessly resetting like X-men / Spider-man.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Not sure about that one. I think he's mainly a Spidey villain, so probably Sony. The deals Marvel did back when appear to be fuzzy in places but I'm fairly sure Mysterio would have been covered.

I think the deal settled on the definition that a Spider-Man character is one who debuted in a Spider-Man comic, so Mysterio, Vulture, Doctor Octopus, Green Goblin and Venom are all owned by Sony. There might be exclusions with characters who later got their own title or had films made of them earlier (the Punisher falls in both categories and Kingpin in the latter, since the 2003 Daredevil was already in development when the deal with Sony was signed, so they both escaped Sony's clutches).

• 3 weeks later...

If you wanted more examination of the snap, and the unsnap, and the fallout, this sounds really interesting:

When Collider spoke with director Kari Skogland about the choice to set it in that specific time period, she said that it was "absolutely critical" to the show. "Everything narratively was informed by that event for us," she said. "It meant that we're just past the shock of it. We're just past the joy of it — because we're imagining that there would be a lot of joy, in people returning. Now we're into the reality of it, which is complicated.” As she explained it, "With half the population Blipped away, you've got different economic circumstances, different border circumstances. Different countries were cooperative, that weren't before. Neighbors are cooperating, who weren't necessarily getting along before. People moved into houses that they didn't own before. Everything changed. Now we're into that moment. We're past the surprise of it and now we're into the realities of it. I think that makes for a very different place in the story, because we can get not only grounded about it, but we can drill into how people respond to that. Some of it's good and some of it's not so good."

https://collider.com/when-is-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-timeline-marvel-cinematic-universe/

On 3/17/2021 at 3:21 PM, DaveSumm said:

If you wanted more examination of the snap, and the unsnap, and the fallout, this sounds really interesting:

https://collider.com/when-is-falcon-and-the-winter-soldier-timeline-marvel-cinematic-universe/

I mean... when did people think it was going take place? Falcon inherits the shield at the end of Endgame. And he and Bucky are dead in the 5 year interim after Infinity War. 

10 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Tomorrow.

Awesome.  I expect it to be a bit more explodey than WandaVision... so I may not be able to watch it at work like I did with the other. :lol: 

Spoilers I suppose, being it's been less than a week.

Spoiler

I find it interesting that the group Falcon and Winter Soldier look like going up against are basically advocates for free movement of people (which I assume was the international situation in the 5 year gap). Personally I have a great deal of support for a free movement policy, so my philosophical sympathies are with the bad guys, and I am very leery of what seems to be Falcon and Winter Soldier being agents of a nationalistic US govt.

Ends and means of course with this free movement group. Wanting to blow things up to open borders seems a bit counter productive, and certainly my sympathies lie with Falcon and Winter Soldier in wanting to take this particular militant group down. But I would love to see this series lead the MCU into a future where a kind of global citizenship becomes the status quo.

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Spoilers I suppose, being it's been less than a week.

Reveal hidden contents

I find it interesting that the group Falcon and Winter Soldier look like going up against are basically advocates for free movement of people (which I assume was the international situation in the 5 year gap). Personally I have a great deal of support for a free movement policy, so my philosophical sympathies are with the bad guys, and I am very leery of what seems to be Falcon and Winter Soldier being agents of a nationalistic US govt.

Ends and means of course with this free movement group. Wanting to blow things up to open borders seems a bit counter productive, and certainly my sympathies lie with Falcon and Winter Soldier in wanting to take this particular militant group down. But I would love to see this series lead the MCU into a future where a kind of global citizenship becomes the status quo.

There’s a F&WS spoiler thread if you want to discuss without the boxes.

This really doesn't bode well for the future of 'theatrical experience'. Given their recent past, Disney know how much money they can extract from 'premium on demand' streaming. Some other studio tried this recently, and theaters rebelled and threatened to boycott films released in that manner. But Disney is so big that they might be able to bully theaters into accepting any deal, including one that will ultimately ruin them.

28 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

In other news, Black Widow going for theatrical and Disney+ [premium] release on July 9th.

Interesting. I’m happy about it to be honest, I’m still not 100% sure I’ll be comfortable going to the cinema in May so I’m glad for the opportunity to see it. I notice Shang Chi had been moved back to accommodate the move as well.

So now the upcoming weeks look like this (not spoilers, just for length):

Spoiler

Mar 26th: TFATWS Episode 2

Apr 2nd: Ep 3

Apr 9th: Ep4

Apr 16th: Ep 5

Apr 23rd: Ep 6

Apr 30th: Assembled

Nothing in May, 5 week gap

June 11th: Loki Episode 1

June 18th: Ep 2

June 25th: Ep 3

July 2nd: Ep 4

July 9th: Ep 5 AND Black Widow??

July 16th: Ep 6

July 23rd: Assembled 

July 30th: Probably What If? Episode 1, I would wager. Which means the 6th episode will drop the same day as Shang Chi on September 3rd.

I might be tempted to see it in the cinema (I just got my first shot, so should have the second by the time it comes out), although in practice I'll likely pick it up on Disney+.

Marvel had a huge problem here in that they had this freight train of production going on and it's not slowing down, and it means they now have three films, costing the better part of $600 million to make between them, sitting on the shelf gathering dust, another three films shooting and another three in pre-production (and we can probably assume the three after that are in the writing/outline stage, at least). The release windows for the films are getting tighter and tighter and they were put into this position of releasing films just a few weeks apart or taking some other kind of action.

• 9 July: Black Widow
  • 3 September: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • 5 November: Eternals
  • 17 December: Spider Man: No Way Home
  • 25 March 2022: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  • 6 May: Thor: Love and Thunder
  • 8 July: Black Panther II
  • 11 November: Captain Marvel 2

I think it's clear they're not planning a Disney+ release for subsequent films unless absolutely necessary, with the hope that things can be back to normal before the end of the year.

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I might be tempted to see it in the cinema (I just got my first shot, so should have the second by the time it comes out), although in practice I'll likely pick it up on Disney+.

Marvel had a huge problem here in that they had this freight train of production going on and it's not slowing down, and it means they now have three films, costing the better part of $600 million to make between them, sitting on the shelf gathering dust, another three films shooting and another three in pre-production (and we can probably assume the three after that are in the writing/outline stage, at least). The release windows for the films are getting tighter and tighter and they were put into this position of releasing films just a few weeks apart or taking some other kind of action.

• 9 July: Black Widow
  • 3 September: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • 5 November: Eternals
  • 17 December: Spider Man: No Way Home
  • 25 March 2022: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  • 6 May: Thor: Love and Thunder
  • 8 July: Black Panther II
  • 11 November: Captain Marvel 2

I think it's clear they're not planning a Disney+ release for subsequent films unless absolutely necessary, with the hope that things can be back to normal before the end of the year.

Yeah, I think they basically held out as long as they possibly could for Black Widow before finally saying "To hell with it... we've gotta get this thing out there."

Its a shame since the movie kinda feels like an afterthought as it is already.

I for one will never pay for a premium movie on D+. For one thing, with only 2 of us in the house the price tag makes it more expensive than going to the cinema, unless we have guests or family staying, and in respect of that it seems a bit on the nose to be asking guests to fork out for a share of the price tag. The second thing is, going to the cinema is not at all problematic apart from the fact there is a dearth of decent movies out. So if there is a movie I really want to see I will go see it at the cinema. If there is a movie I think I might like, but can't be arsed paying to see it in the cinema why would I then pay to have a lesser experience? I'll just wait for the premium price tag to be removed.

I don't really have a conceptual problem with putting a premium price on new release content, it's just unlikely the right set of circumstances will ever arise where I think it is worth it.

Theater tickets must be cheap over there.

Were I to take myself and two daughters, I'm looking at 40.85. Just me and my 13yo, it's 27.90. Add junk, cause theater, so considerably over 30 either way. I kind of like the home access, personally. I'd shell out to do this all the time, even if only to continue indulging my underlying misanthropy.

34 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Theater tickets must be cheap over there.

Were I to take myself and two daughters, I'm looking at 40.85. Just me and my 13yo, it's 27.90. Add junk, cause theater, so considerably over 30 either way. I kind of like the home access, personally. I'd shell out to do this all the time, even if only to continue indulging my underlying misanthropy.

It’s $8/ticket at the new theater in town.

Archived