MCUniverse: Into the Spider-Thread

SpaceChampion

4 hours ago, felice said:

And set it during the Blip. Mourn T'Challa and have someone else take up the mantle of Black Panther in his absence, who can continue in the role long term. It gives T'Challa a reason to retire from Panthering when he comes back, without requiring the character's ending to be as tragic as the actor's.

Sounds a reasonable work-around. Someone must have taken up the mantle within those 5 years and maybe T'challa decides they've done a good enough job for him to retire/refocus. They might have to kill him off, ultimately but they could do so in a way that's sensitive. It's hard to justify why T'Challa would completely step back - especially once the avengers are taking on universe shattering attacks. "i'm retired" doesn't really seem a good excuse. Although that's what Captain America did (but I just head canon that he was operating secretly in the past).

I can't remember who was blipped but M'Baku seems a reasonable choice as he did challenge for the position previously and it would help cement those two factions together. Shuri is also a decent candidate but I'm usually against the whole inheriting power via family as a storytelling device. Or maybe a new character from outside - Killmonger did raise some valid points and having someone with knowledge of the rest of the world would be useful. Or meet half way and have M'Baku or Shuri spend the blip out in the rest of the world? Actually Nakia has already done that so she'd make a great candidate and I liked the character/actor in the first film.

I'm hoping the TV show set in wakanda follows up on the promise of the film's ending of wakanda becoming more involved in the world and sharing tech.

12 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

Looks ok, but that's about it. Batman Begins mixed with Ant Man.

I know nothing about the character so I'm not sure how you got those two movies.

The fight choreography looks pretty good, way better than the only other Marvel kung fu themed property, Iron Fist.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I know nothing about the character so I'm not sure how you got those two movies.

The fight choreography looks pretty good, way better than the only other Marvel kung fu themed property, Iron Fist.

Yea I’m all for Marvel kung fu, this trailer didn’t do a lot to distinguish itself though. Without the logo at the beginning you’d never pick this out as a Marvel film. I also know nothing about him, it appears he ... can fight, and slow down time sometimes?

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

From the Loki Preview we know that Loki picking up the Tesseract “broke the timeline”.  Is the TVA going after Steve too for telling Avengers I Steve Rogers that “Bucky is alive”?

Based on however we think that the timeliness are supposed to work, in theory, if Cap puts the stone back then his telling his younger self anything should go away...if the timelone branch withers away...though I suppose it's dependant on Loki correcting things as well...

As for Shang Chi, as someone who follows Marvel and knows its coming? Yeah, that trailer makes me want to see the movie more.

You’d think for a character that almost nobody knows they would try a hell of a lot harder to make it less of a bland generic Kung fu movie. I haven’t seen a single thing in that trailer that makes it stand out or seem in any way connected to the MCU.

Feels like it’s only reason to exist is to sell to the Chinese market, and they thought they didn’t really need to try.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Based on however we think that the timeliness are supposed to work, in theory, if Cap puts the stone back then his telling his younger self anything should go away...if the timelone branch withers away...though I suppose it's dependant on Loki correcting things as well...

As for Shang Chi, as someone who follows Marvel and knows its coming? Yeah, that trailer makes me want to see the movie more.

I don’t think Cap can clip that branch.  He can only put the Tesseract back once and that is at the 1970’s base.  

21 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

So I'm supposed to believe these people just sat back when Thanos attacked the world and said "Go for it Dude"?

You can sidestep this to a large extent with how quickly Infinity War unfolds. Banner tells Dr Strange and Tony that Thanos even exists just before the first invasion, and then they get whisked off on the spaceship. Then the rest are focused on dealing with Vision, and Thanos comes back maaaaybe as little as later that day? I don’t think anyone sleeps for the whole film. Nobody really has time to broadcast what the issue is and who Thanos is and can anyone who’s good at fighting please help. Same with Endgame, Dr Strange portals in people he’s aware of, but I can’t see how he’d know about ... well, people he doesn’t know about.

38 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don’t think Cap can clip that branch.  He can only put the Tesseract back once and that is at the 1970’s base.  

Steve fought his younger self over Loki's scepter when he used the info about Bucky as leverage. 

And thinking about it, it isn't giving info to his younger self unless his younger self actually believed it...

13 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

You can sidestep this to a large extent with how quickly Infinity War unfolds. Banner tells Dr Strange and Tony that Thanos even exists just before the first invasion, and then they get whisked off on the spaceship. Then the rest are focused on dealing with Vision, and Thanos comes back maaaaybe as little as later that day? I don’t think anyone sleeps for the whole film. Nobody really has time to broadcast what the issue is and who Thanos is and can anyone who’s good at fighting please help. Same with Endgame, Dr Strange portals in people he’s aware of, but I can’t see how he’d know about ... well, people he doesn’t know about.

Kind of.  But this isn't our world, this is a world where aliens have attacked multiple times already.  You would think the world powers (including China) would take notice and you know....... try to guard the earth.  Also isn't Dr Strange supposed to know everything magical that is happening on Earth?

I'm down for Shang-Chi, absolutely. :D

As for the trailer, there's a big giant lion attacking dudes and a guy with a sword for a hand. And hey, this is only the first trailer. It's setting up the character who, as someone rightly pointed out, we don't know. So it introduces us to him - phenomenally skilled martial artist who is heir to a somewhat abusive criminal father (apparently the real Mandarin, which is better than Fu Manchu, I suppose) but rebels against him. I have no doubt that the second trailer will contain more Marvel goodness. But for now it looks great.

12 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Kind of.  But this isn't our world, this is a world where aliens have attacked multiple times already.  You would think the world powers (including China) would take notice and you know....... try to guard the earth.  Also isn't Dr Strange supposed to know everything magical that is happening on Earth?

Technically I believe Dr. Strange's mandate is only interdimensional threats. They establish this in Doctor Strange When the ancient one says something like "while the avengers protect the world from physical threats we protect it from (mystical? interdimensional?) threats." Presumably this was to answer the "hey where where you guys the last two of three times humanity was almost killed" question. 

But then in Endgame we see she was helping a bit when the Chitari invaded. Plus Loki is not from another dimension or anything and Strange still goes after him. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm still of the opinion that you can't clip any branch. Because it is impossible to return the stones at the second they disappeared unnoticed. All you can do is minimize the divergence by returning their stuff and apologizing. 

Shang-Chi's connection to the rest of the MCU is minor but it's there:

Spoiler

The main character is the son of the Mandarin, the real Mandarin, the one Ben Kingsley was pretending to be in Iron Man 3 and was then rescued by in his one-shot.

I think there'll be other connections to the MCU but they'll keep them a bit laid back until the end of the movie, then they'll tease some future crossover.

It did occur to me that they have Michelle Yeoh playing Jiang Nan in this film as well as Aleta Ogord in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which I think is the first time they've had the same actor playing different roles where neither role is a voiceover, CG creature or justified in-film (i.e. Bettany playing JARVIS and Vision).

7 hours ago, red snow said:

It's hard to justify why T'Challa would completely step back - especially once the avengers are taking on universe shattering attacks.

He can focus on being king, like his father did before him; just don't write any stories that require the king of Wakanda to show up in person. It seems unlikely that Marvel will duplicate the end of Endgame any time soon, with every single MCU hero showing up.

4 minutes ago, felice said:

He can focus on being king, like his father did before him; just don't write any stories that require the king of Wakanda to show up in person. It seems unlikely that Marvel will duplicate the end of Endgame any time soon, with every single MCU hero showing up.

They'll want to do Avengers 5 at some point and I'd be surprised if it was in any more than 5 years, so they need to set up a new struggle. But that struggle doesn't need to be on the order of Thanos of course, and could be a more medium-level threat (world-threatening rather than universe-threatening). The big bad after that point could be something like Galactus, but that requires very careful handling and setup.

Archived