MCUniverse: Into the Spider-Thread

SpaceChampion

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Shang-Chi's connection to the rest of the MCU is minor but it's there:

Hide contents

The main character is the son of the Mandarin, the real Mandarin, the one Ben Kingsley was pretending to be in Iron Man 3 and was then rescued by in his one-shot.

I think there'll be other connections to the MCU but they'll keep them a bit laid back until the end of the movie, then they'll tease some future crossover.

It did occur to me that they have Michelle Yeoh playing Jiang Nan in this film as well as Aleta Ogord in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which I think is the first time they've had the same actor playing different roles where neither role is a voiceover, CG creature or justified in-film (i.e. Bettany playing JARVIS and Vision).

Gemma Chan was in Captain Marvel and will be in Eternals as a different character, but I can’t think of anyone else (within the movies of course; Alfre Woodard was in Luke Cage and Civil War, and Enver Gjokaj was in Avengers and Agent Carter).

And I think we can all agree we’re not including Stan Lee... :D

I think one of the howling commandos later played his descendant who was the principle of peter parker's school. Martin Starr is in The Incredible Hulk and then later was cast as one of parker's teachers. They say it's the same guy now but it wasn't intentional. 

I personally hope that they bring back Michael B Jordan to take the mantle of Black Panther.  Find a universe where he loses his challenge fight with T'Challa but is spared, show him there's another universe that needs him.  One where Wakanda has revealed itself to the world but their king has died.  He gets what he wants, but only after being humbled in his duel loss, and the other universe doesn't have to worry about him trying to overthrow T'Challa again.

Boom.  Problem solved. 

42 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think one of the howling commandos later played his descendant who was the principle of peter parker's school. Martin Starr is in The Incredible Hulk and then later was cast as one of parker's teachers. They say it's the same guy now but it wasn't intentional. 

In Hulk he’s credited as Amadeus Cho

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I personally hope that they bring back Michael B Jordan to take the mantle of Black Panther.  Find a universe where he loses his challenge fight with T'Challa but is spared, show him there's another universe that needs him.  One where Wakanda has revealed itself to the world but their king has died.  He gets what he wants, but only after being humbled in his duel loss, and the other universe doesn't have to worry about him trying to overthrow T'Challa again.

Boom.  Problem solved. 

It is a shame they killed killmonger. He could have made for an interesting redemptive arc especially as tchalla essentially took on his point of helping those outside wakanda.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Gemma Chan was in Captain Marvel and will be in Eternals as a different character, but I can’t think of anyone else (within the movies of course; Alfre Woodard was in Luke Cage and Civil War, and Enver Gjokaj was in Avengers and Agent Carter).

And I think we can all agree we’re not including Stan Lee... :D

Maherashala Ali will play blade and he was the villain in Luke cage season 1. Although I think appearances in pre Disney + shows aren't necessarily canon.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Boom.  Problem solved. 

Nah, it's going to be Shuri. It's the way they went in the comics and I can see them doing the same thing in the films. T'Challa has passed without warning and in the absence of another choice, the mantle falls on Shuri, despite blowback from the traditionalist tribes. Hell, in the comics T'Challa even names Shuri as his heir and trains her in combat and other areas she needs to know if she's going to succeed him.

I'm not sure why people are trying to make this any harder than it needs to be. The comic had T'Challa as Black Panther and then Shuri, so the movies can do exactly the same thing, especially if they are going to go in the same directions as any of the stories from the same time period (the war with Atlantis sounds like it could be juicy fodder for the MCU).

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

Nah, it's going to be Shuri. It's the way they went in the comics and I can see them doing the same thing in the films. T'Challa has passed without warning and in the absence of another choice, the mantle falls on Shuri, despite blowback from the traditionalist tribes. Hell, in the comics T'Challa even names Shuri as his heir and trains her in combat and other areas she needs to know if she's going to succeed him.

I'm not sure why people are trying to make this any harder than it needs to be. The comic had T'Challa as Black Panther and then Shuri, so the movies can do exactly the same thing, especially if they are going to go in the same directions as any of the stories from the same time period (the war with Atlantis sounds like it could be juicy fodder for the MCU).

I thought the actor hit some negative press regarding some antivaccer comments? In today's world that might cause some issues although as long as she doesn't double down by making similar comments she should be fine.

Also, the comics don't dictate the films. Otherwise it would probably have been the winter soldier being the new cap first before falcon having a go. Arguably it's the other way around in the sense the comics try to reflect the movie storylines.

The good thing for the film is that they have several characters and actors who'd all make potentially interesting heirs to the black panther crown. I'm not against shuri being the next black panther but I also don't think it has to be her. 

Letitia did draw some fire with the comments you're referring to, the context was the upcoming covid vaccines and it also drew attention to the church she's a part of/the religious leader she's supporting. Their views are not exactly progressive and were the source of her vaccine comments.

That said the history of doctors using black Americans as unwilling and unaware test subjects is what lies behind this particular vaccine scepticism so I think it gets more sympathy and understanding than garden variety anti vaxxing. And Chris Pratt has had a lot more noise around his membership in Hillsong and he's still Starlord so I think she's probably already weathered whatever storm she's going to face from it. She's also still pretty young, maybe she'll even learn from it.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Its like you're almost speaking English... but I still don't get it...

Basically sony movies including spider man will end up on those disney owned networks and streaming services. New sony movies however go to netflix first, then disney. 

I'm not sure, but this might mean Spidey can show up in say Secret Invasion. I've never been clear on how those rights work. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

Basically sony movies including spider man will end up on those disney owned networks and streaming services. New sony movies however go to netflix first, then disney. 

I'm not sure, but this might mean Spidey can show up in say Secret Invasion. I've never been clear on how those rights work. 

Ohhhh... when you said they can Sling, I thought you meant somehow I would have to use a Sling Box to watch Spiderman from somewhere else and I was wondering if it was something like playing a non Steam game through the Steam interface.  :lol:

14 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Ohhhh... when you said they can Sling, I thought you meant somehow I would have to use a Sling Box to watch Spiderman from somewhere else and I was wondering if it was something like playing a non Steam game through the Steam interface.  :lol:

I was just copying the ridiculous headline. :laugh:

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is that real?

I mean it says Hulu and has a release date so I assume so.  I'm guessing Disney will dump anything with too much adult content onto Hulu and keep the more family friendly stuff (like Thanos committing mass genocide) on Disney+.  Because mass murder is, of course, totally fine, but we can't have our children hearing bad language.

Archived