MCUniverse: Into the Spider-Thread

SpaceChampion

6 hours ago, Poobah said:

Don't think anyone's posted this yet:

Edit: apparently this trailer's been around for a while? Well it's new to me!

I saw that once before, but I didn't notice T'Challa was talking to Howard the Duck until now. :laugh: 

Deborah Ann Woll posted on instagram the poster for the Ben Affleck version of Daredevil....  creating speculation that the DD will be in No Way Home, but the Affleck version instead of Charlie Cox.

I don't believe it -- she 's probably just fond of the movie.  Or Affleck and Cox both, since it's a multiverse.  I can't see them snubbing Cox like this.

Dammit, I promised myself I would stop doing lame, random one-liners on this site, but this is too easy... Last one, I swear.

28 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I can't see them snubbing Cox like this.

I hear there are websites for that sort of thing.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Deborah Ann Woll posted on instagram the poster for the Ben Affleck version of Daredevil....  creating speculation that the DD will be in No Way Home, but the Affleck version instead of Charlie Cox.

I don't believe it -- she 's probably just fond of the movie.  Or Affleck and Cox both, since it's a multiverse.  I can't see them snubbing Cox like this.

I'm trying to think which is less likely, Ben Affleck reprising that role or someone being fond of that movie. 

There have been a few report of Cox is playing Murdoch defending Peter in court. I'm not getting my hopes up yet. If the rumors about previous spider-men and bad guys showing up are true it's going to be a busy movie. Will they really have time to put Peter on trial? 

Though it could be he's representing say, Scorpion. Who thinks he should be released because that evil spider-man framed him. But would Daredevil do that? (I'm seriously asking I haven't read a comic in decades.) 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm trying to think which is less likely, Ben Affleck reprising that role or someone being fond of that movie. 

I didn’t think it was terrible? I guess...

I actually did kinda like Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin.

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I didn’t think it was terrible? I guess...

I actually did kinda like Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin.

You know what it's been a while, am I thinking of Elektra? One of those movies was terrible. 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

You know what it's been a while, am I thinking of Elektra? One of those movies was terrible. 

I never saw Elektra.  My understanding is that it was objectively terrible, whereas Affleck’s Daredevil was just a kind of paint by numbers early 2000s superhero flick.

Gosh, I am bad at connecting dots.

While watching Guardians of the Galaxy,  I was trying to remember in what other movie I also saw Korath. 

Captain Marvel. They do like to reuse characters.

Sad he died trying to commit genocide on Xander....... after failing to help with the genocide of Earth. 

continuing my discussion with Varys from the Whedon thread:

8 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

There are all kinds of ways imaginable how Hela could have had more screentime and been an actual character instead of a caricature (think about those 'executioner' lines) while we also get an arc for Thor. Say, Loki frees Hela from whatever dungeon her father threw her into, Thor then challenges her for the rule of Asgard, Hela wins and makes him her little slave pet in basically the same kind of manner the Grand Master did. From there Thor has to work his way back into a position where he could topple and defeat Hela.

Sure but again what you want is a completely different movie. I get that the balance they struck evidently didn't work for you but the way Ragnarok was done was in order to make it function as a fun, comedic adventure while still having the darker more brutal elements (that is exactly why it's the best for me), and having Hela be in the frame the whole time would have overwhelmed that, and having her enslave Thor would definitely have taken the comedy off the table (or needed to make Hela more comedic). Like in your version, where does Thor get his allies from? She summarily executes all her opponents and indeed all her subjects. There was too big a gap between them and her, it needed a lighter-toned miniboss. 

8 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Yeah, they just gave her some stupid lines and Karl Urban as a really stupid sidekick.

I do agree with the disappointment about Urban's character, because 'he stood alone, at Gjallerbru' is an all-time great comics moment and this truncated, missing-the-entire-point version of it added nothing.

I kind of wish they had removed Hela from the story altogether, it was the weakest part of the movie by far. I honestly didn't care if she killed everyone on Asgard or not. I wanted to see more of Jeff Goldblum and Korg. I get the argument that if you spent more time on Hela it might be better, but I say just make a movie without her, find another reason to send Thor away and then just make the funny over the top version that we got even funnier.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Sure but again what you want is a completely different movie. I get that the balance they struck evidently didn't work for you but the way Ragnarok was done was in order to make it function as a fun, comedic adventure while still having the darker more brutal elements (that is exactly why it's the best for me)

Couldn't agree more.  The movie works so well precisely because it deals with an armageddon myth without taking itself too seriously.  I mean, it literally starts with Thor breaking the fourth wall and having a conversation with a skeleton.  Everything, from the revengers to introducing Valkryie to Korg and Miek to "piss off ghost" to the Thor/Loki relationship to Hulk's contributions to "this stupid dog won't die" complements the basics of the story.  Actually pulling that off onscreen is no easy feat, and saying "it would have been a lot better if..." is a whole hell of a lot easier said than done.  

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I kind of wish they had removed Hela from the story altogether, it was the weakest part of the movie by far. I honestly didn't care if she killed everyone on Asgard or not. I wanted to see more of Jeff Goldblum and Korg. I get the argument that if you spent more time on Hela it might be better, but I say just make a movie without her, find another reason to send Thor away and then just make the funny over the top version that we got even funnier.

I agree, the entire film should have just been Thor and The Hulk forced to be gladiators. All of the energy in the film seemed to be on that world, while Asgard seemed so dam boring by comparison. Hela does nothing except spout exposition most of the time.

To respond to another point from that thread about Thanos having a stupid plan - what he needed was a genophage instead of this one off halving.

14 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Sure but again what you want is a completely different movie. I get that the balance they struck evidently didn't work for you but the way Ragnarok was done was in order to make it function as a fun, comedic adventure while still having the darker more brutal elements (that is exactly why it's the best for me), and having Hela be in the frame the whole time would have overwhelmed that, and having her enslave Thor would definitely have taken the comedy off the table (or needed to make Hela more comedic). Like in your version, where does Thor get his allies from? She summarily executes all her opponents and indeed all her subjects. There was too big a gap between them and her, it needed a lighter-toned miniboss.

I've no problem with it being another movie, especially one where title and content would fit better together.

The entire comedy part could have been a better thing if it had been a different movie focusing exclusively on Thor taking a tour of the galaxy, one where they could have brought the Guardians of the Galaxy into the mix as well. There was no need for an Asgard plot in such a movie. The way it is, it feels disjointed, like they didn't really know what they wanted to do.

And it is a waste of an actress like Cate Blanchett to use her in that role and give her pretty much nothing to do.

Archived