MCUniverse: Into the Spider-Thread

SpaceChampion

The MCU version of the Guardians of the Galaxy was never overly popular in the comics.  The original version from the future had its fans.  The newer version was thrown together and stole the team name...

13 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The MCU version of the Guardians of the Galaxy was never overly popular in the comics.  The original version from the future had its fans.  The newer version was thrown together and stole the team name...

What a bunch of assholes.

What I wanna know is how the populations of distant galaxies not our own felt about the snap. Like they'd have no idea who Thanos is or that he'd collected the stones (curious that all the infinity stones are in our galaxy but whatever). Suddenly half of all life dusts for five years than comes back and they'll have no explanation

45 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

What I wanna know is how the populations of distant galaxies not our own felt about the snap. Like they'd have no idea who Thanos is or that he'd collected the stones (curious that all the infinity stones are in our galaxy but whatever). Suddenly half of all life dusts for five years than comes back and they'll have no explanation

Good question.

Plus, our observable Universe, which contains trillions of galaxies, is just a tiny speck when compared to the entire Universe, which itself might be infinite. So I can't help but wonder, despite the name, is there a range of the infinity gauntlet?

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

This is also why Thanos' plan never made any sense to begin with.  Surely not all of those planets are currently suffering from a lack of resources.  Some of them are surely primitive, and thus there would be no need to kill off half of the life on them and in fact it would probably completely shatter their ecosystems.  The comic storyline, while ridiculous, at least gives a plausible reason why he would do such a thing.  He was literally courting Death, and a sacrifice that grand was a way to win her over.  

But, like, why couldn't Thanos just snap his fingers and create unlimited resources for the galaxy?  That seems to be a marginally better plan than genocide. 

18 minutes ago, briantw said:

The comic storyline, while ridiculous, at least gives a plausible reason why he would do such a thing.  He was literally courting Death, and a sacrifice that grand was a way to win her over.  

I do wonder why they didn't just go that route. A crazy plan doesn't need much explanation if the planner is insane. The writers/Russo brothers must have surely debated it so I wonder if there's an interview somewhere where they addressed it. The only thing I can think of is that either 1) felt they didn't have enough time to appropriately build the relationship between Thanos and Death or more likely 2) wanted to do something original instead of a direct copy of the known storyline.

10 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I do wonder why they didn't just go that route. A crazy plan doesn't need much explanation if the planner is insane. The writers/Russo brothers must have surely debated it so I wonder if there's an interview somewhere where they addressed it. The only thing I can think of is that either 1) felt they didn't have enough time to appropriately build the relationship between Thanos and Death or more likely 2) wanted to do something original instead of a direct copy of the known storyline.

Speaking as someone who hasn’t read those comics, I’ll add 3) it sounds fucking stupid. And it’d involve creating a very important character to cram into IW/EG who is based on an abstract concept.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Also equally confusing for planets in our galaxy without any interstellar travel or knowledge of galactic events.

6 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Speaking as someone who hasn’t read those comics, I’ll add 3) it sounds fucking stupid. And it’d involve creating a very important character to cram into IW/EG who is based on an abstract concept.

Stupider than exterminating half of all life in the universe in order to combat resource mismanagement?

Anyway I'd guess the reason is that if he did it just to court Death he wouldn't necessarily care about it being reversed and has no pressing need to destroy the stones, ruling out the time-travel shenanigans of Endgame.

4 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Also equally confusing for planets in our galaxy without any interstellar travel or knowledge of galactic events.

I haven't seen The Leftovers, but I imagine it would be the MCU version of that.

13 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

If you've seen Battlestar Galactica, I'd imagine it'd be something like the way Number 6 is portrayed as existing only in Baltar's imagination.

15 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Stupider than exterminating half of all life in the universe in order to combat resource mismanagement?

Well the plan is stupid, but not the basic premise of somebody existing that has a bad plan. But a physical embodiment of the act of dying? An actual ‘Death’? That’s  too comic-y for the short space of time they’d have for the relevant exposition. 

44 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I mean, in the second Guardians of the Galaxy, we found out that a planet fucked Starlord's mom.  The whole MCU is filled with absolutely insane and absurdly dumb ideas that mostly work. 

39 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

An actual ‘Death’? That’s  too comic-y for the short space of time they’d have for the relevant exposition. 

Yeah, I don't see it. Death as a personification is a really common cultural, mythical, and storytelling trope, not some comicy wildness, and if that had been the plot they went with IW would have been a very different movie and Endgame wouldn't have been Endgame at all, so they wouldn't have been ramming the introduction around what already exists.

Death as a character is a big no for me.  I know there are those type of entities/concepts within the Marvel Universe that do exist.  And I suspect/assume this is what Eternals is getting close to.  Not a fan.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

But, like, why couldn't Thanos just snap his fingers and create unlimited resources for the galaxy?  That seems to be a marginally better plan than genocide. 

His plan long predated the infinity stones method. He might have been going round wiping out the half the population one planet at a time for centuries before even hearing about the stones. After being that committed for that long, it doesn't seem unreasonable that he wouldn't be interested in considering what else he might be able to do with that sort of power. His plan is rooted in trauma, too, which would make it harder to abandon.

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

If it was the comic storyline they wanted to emulate, then they could have been/should have been seeding the idea that Thanos was courting what he thought of as the personification of death in earlier movies.  Death itself as a living avatar doesn't need to appear until IW.  It might have also fixed some Infinity Stone questions, such as why give Loki one stone to go after another to make a gateway to bring the Chitauri to Earth.  He could have been trying to give Death a sacrifice of Earth.  Same with sending Ronan around. Trying to bring about large scale Death to impress Death. Gamora's flashback to meeting Thanos? Again, a sacrifice to try to impress, no need to suggest mismanagement of resources. It could have been made to work.

Archived