MCUniverse: Into the Spider-Thread

SpaceChampion

26 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

such as why give Loki one stone to go after another to make a gateway to bring the Chitauri to Earth.  He could have been trying to give Death a sacrifice of Earth.

Meh.  "If you call failure experience."  "I call experience experience."  Seems pretty clear Death was not involved there.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Meh.  "If you call failure experience."  "I call experience experience."  Seems pretty clear Death was not involved there.

Well, there is a callback to this in Avengers - something about Thanos 'courting death'. 

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Wasn't my argument. I'm suggesting that they could have incorporated the idea of Death being courted with some dialog and such. Making trying to impress Death as his motivation...if they'd done something like that then the curious notion of giving Loki an Infinity Stone could make sorta more sense...

2 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

Well, there is a callback to this in Avengers - something about Thanos 'courting death'. 

Yeah.  That's the mid-credit scene.  It's something like "to challenge them is to court death," although the first part is hard to hear.  So, yeah, it is set up!  I still think it's stupid.

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Wasn't my argument. I'm suggesting that they could have incorporated the idea of Death being courted with some dialog and such. Making trying to impress Death as his motivation...if they'd done something like that then the curious notion of giving Loki an Infinity Stone could make sorta more sense...

Ah.  K, sorry.  Death as an idea is yeah whatever in my book.  They could've done more with that, sure.

5 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m guessing that was part of Captain Marvel’s mission in the five years, going round explaining to people what happened.

And probably getting blamed for it even though she wasn't there. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Death as a character is a big no for me.  I know there are those type of entities/concepts within the Marvel Universe that do exist.  And I suspect/assume this is what Eternals is getting close to.  Not a fan.

I mean they had Hela, who as goddess of death was like halfway there. Though I get the impression in the MCU that's basically just a nickname because she killed a shitload of people. 

3 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I haven't seen The Leftovers, but I imagine it would be the MCU version of that.

I love this. It's as good an explanation for their snap as any. Not Thanos specifically but that some alien civilization far far away fucked around with something they shouldn't have and caused it throughout the universe. 

Also it's a really good show if you're ok with it being depressing as hell.

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I mean they had Hela, who as goddess of death was like halfway there. Though I get the impression in the MCU that's basically just a nickname because she killed a shitload of people. 

Right.  She was able to resurrect an army and a really big dog, but I didn't view her as "death" so to speak.  It's different for me.  Again, that's just me.

Thanos was also full of shit with consistency. If it's all about the resource problem, and everything is all wonderful for the planets that he's already culled once, then he should be excluding those populations from the snap.

It's been mentioned before, but Hela and Ragnarok had already killed more like 99% of Asgard, but he still shows up and kills half of the survivors and then there's no indication he spares that remaining half a percent from the snap, halving them yet again. Way to show it's really about the principle of saving people from themselves big guy.

I'm ok with him being a contradictory and hypocritical douche, but by framing him as the protagonist of IW they give a certain weight to his position that makes it seem like it's reasonable, when it's not. And more problematically there are a bunch of eugenics loving assholes online who think he was right.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Right.  She was able to resurrect an army and a really big dog, but I didn't view her as "death" so to speak.  It's different for me.  Again, that's just me.

Yea there’s a line that gets crossed if you introduce Death for me. All the other strange examples come under the bracket  of “there’s some weird shit out in space”, but Death infringes on a human experience. For all the crazy stuff in Guardians, you’ve still got an Adrian Toomes as a working class guy in New York, you’ve still got teachers just trying to teach at Peter Parker’s school. To say that the common human experience of death now needs to be seen through the lens of them being an actual person affects everyone, everything. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the first episode of the M.O.D.O.K. animated show and that was pretty funny. Lots of Marvel in-jokes and references (they go to a Lila Cheney concert!)

4 hours ago, mormont said:

Just watched the first episode of the M.O.D.O.K. animated show and that was pretty funny. Lots of Marvel in-jokes and references (they go to a Lila Cheney concert!)

I almost spit my drink out when he was giving the various promises to his wife about how he'd change his behavior and one of them was, "I'll call out your name during sex instead of mine."

50 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Marvels next phase of movies is looking more Meh by the day 

I'm still eager to see how Spider-Man and Multiverse of Madness are going to shake out. But yeah otherwise I'm more interested in the shows. Loki, What If?, Ms. Marvel and Secret Invasion most of all. Moon Knight sounds kinda lame but I bet they'll make it work. 

Edit: oh, and Thor 4 should be amusing. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Didn't feel like the sort of trailer you'd end with a joke, but they did it anyway.

It’s the law now, all trailers must have dramatic music that climaxes with the title of the film, then drops to a comedy moment to end. Drives me nuts. This one really doesn’t work as a joke either since we don’t know Robb Stark or whether he’s capable of leading the Avengers. I do like the idea of them chatting about previous MCU films over dinner though.

12 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

It’s the law now, all trailers must have dramatic music that climaxes with the title of the film, then drops to a comedy moment to end. Drives me nuts. This one really doesn’t work as a joke either since we don’t know Robb Stark or whether he’s capable of leading the Avengers. I do like the idea of them chatting about previous MCU films over dinner though.

Also the whole trailer is incredibly po faced , with no humour and a very serious tone. That joke seemed completely at odds with everything else, it was so awkwardly placed I had to double check it wasn’t a DC movie 

All I want to know after watching it  is if that one character is a Bollywood actor in the comics, or if it was a change because someone at Marvel wanted to do a big song and dance number

So is this a comedy? Not just because of that weird joke at the end, but it would explain why these guys stood on the sidelines in all of Earth's biggest conflicts so far. And you can't say they didn't interfere, when they are apparently responsible for humanity's early accomplishments.

The trailer did not get me interested.

Archived