MCUniverse: Into the Spider-Thread

SpaceChampion

25 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I did enjoy Black Widow. It was nothing special though and WandaVision and Loki are clearly far superior. 

Worth the money though.

Which money? Its price on Disney+ or the price of one admission ticket at your local theater? ;)

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Which money? Its price on Disney+ or the price of one admission ticket at your local theater? ;)

Disney+ 

I decided that it is still too early for cinema because of pandemic reasons. 

It has the kind of action sequences that would look and sound awesome in an IMAX. 

The thing about Red Guardian fighting Captain America....  It doesn't have to be a lie.  Peggy was running SHIELD and Steve existed.  He could have come out of retirement for big enough reasons.  Peggy could cover it up.   I don't remember how long ago that was suppose to be, but Steve wasn't a frail Old Man Cap then.

We don't actually know if Steve going back in time to be with Peggy is a different timeline or not.

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The thing about Red Guardian fighting Captain America....  It doesn't have to be a lie.  Peggy was running SHIELD and Steve existed.  He could have come out of retirement for big enough reasons.  Peggy could cover it up.   I don't remember how long ago that was suppose to be, but Steve wasn't a frail Old Man Cap then.

We don't actually know if Steve going back in time to be with Peggy is a different timeline or not.

They used consequence-free time travel as a plot device. There are no wrong answers here.

Best HISHE ever.

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They used consequence-free time travel as a plot device. There are no wrong answers here.

Best HISHE ever.

Time travel still makes no sense for me in the MCU, especially after watching the Loki show, lol

On 7/21/2021 at 1:06 PM, SpaceChampion said:

One possibility that arises is the super soldiers mentioned in Falcon and the Winter Soldier being the soldiers that he faced, being none the wiser that Captain America himself was in the ice (under the ice? with the ice?).

Just saw Black Widow.  It was ok, I suppose - I didn't scroll back all the way to see if people had the same nitpicks as me...

- One of my nitpicks is NOT the accents...I couldn't tell a good Russian accent from a bad one, so it didn't bother me.  Except...they all spent time in America...why did Natasha lose her accent, and everyone else kept theirs?

- Who is this guy that Natasha keeps getting equipment from?  I mean, it's insinuated he's some sort of black market dealer.  But she trusts him enough so that he knows her secret location in Norway?  And I can sort of buy into him getting her crappy generators and even an old crappy helicopter.  But a state of the art quinjet?  C'mon...

-  Natasha mentioned that her killing the Russian general (I've forgotten his name already, he was a bland villain) - was her last step to prove her defection to SHIELD.  Would SHIELD (and presumably, Nick Fury), really be ok with her planting a bomb on a little girl to take out the target?!?

- I guess we're just supposed to use our imagination on how Natasha gets away from Ross and his 30 vehicles at the end?  What in the world is the U.S. Secretary of State doing traipsing around the Russian countryside with his private little army anyway?

10 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

What in the world is the U.S. Secretary of State doing traipsing around the Russian countryside with his private little army anyway?

Manifest destiny.

Forgot about this one that annoyed me:

Spoiler

How is the Red Room being in the sky a good place to hide? It was above land, surely on a clear day you could see it for miles around? It’s be less visible directly below it on the ground,  and a damn site cheaper too…

8 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Hide contents

How is the Red Room being in the sky a good place to hide? It was above land, surely on a clear day you could see it for miles around? It’s be less visible directly below it on the ground,  and a damn site cheaper too…

In soviet Russia, plot complains about you. 

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Hide contents

I was reading online that a while ago the MCU started making the CGI for their action sequences first and the writers and directors were told to make movies around them. Like Joss Whedon was told, when making the Avengers, to design his movie over aliens attacking NYC, threw a portal in the sky. I honestly think that very much was the case for this film, because many of the action sequences just felt like they belong in a different film. The first two were pretty good, IMO, but after that they just kept getting more over the top and out of control.

You know, the more I think about it… I think it’s appropriate she was watching Moonraker.

That movie starts out pretty solid and serious.  The scene with the enhanced dogs chasing the woman through the forest has a brutal intensity.  The entire movie has that feel… right up until they board the space shuttle and it all goes off the rails.

BW is the same.  It’s a solid if maybe forgettable spy movie right up until the ill advised science fictiony action set piece throws the whole thing off.

Shifting gear slightly, Black Widow's box office drop was in the news last week. I just checked box office mojo:

Domestic (US & Canada) Friday Box Office:

July 9: $39.5 mil

July 16: $8.06 mil (-79.6%)

July 23: $3.50 mil (estimated) (-56.5% & -91% respectively)

And it's still playing on over 4,200 screens. Disney reported monster streaming numbers from Disney+ on the opening weekend and stopped after that, suggesting there was a similarly large drop there.

Normally, I'd say it'll probably shed 2-3k screens by next Friday and disappear completely within a month. But these are not normal times. It's not like there's much of anything to replace it until The Suicide Squad comes out, and that doesn't seem to be generating a lot of buzz at the moment. A month from now we could all be back in lockdown anyway.

Critics seem to like it. Audiences are a bit more mixed but generally favorable. But as we saw with Shazam! and Bumblebee, Franchise films and high RT scores don't necessarily translate into monster box-office receipts. 

Some people have blamed the concurrent theatrical/streaming launch but I'm not so sure. Hesitancy about Covid likely kept some people away. But am I wrong in thinking there just wasn't a lot of excitement for this movie? Even looking at trivial things like social media trends and trailer views on youtube, it didn't seem like there was a ton of enthusiasm there. At least not by MCU standards. Maybe the popularity of the Disney+ content took the light off it. I don't know.

Archived