MCUniverse: Into the Spider-Thread

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

So is this a comedy? Not just because of that weird joke at the end, but it would explain why these guys stood on the sidelines in all of Earth's biggest conflicts so far. And you can't say they didn't interfere, when they are apparently responsible for humanity's early accomplishments.

The trailer did not get me interested.

I'd be funny if they revealed the eternals showed up for the events of The Avengers but Ikaris stopped them from intervening because he thought it'd be funny to watch the Avengers get beat up. 

I wish they'd do more jokey connective tissue like that. The thing with Thor not having a cell phone and living with some guy named Daryl was great. 

Last scene equals: Yes, this is really a MCU movie. See? We referenced the Avengers without explaining where the hell the Eternals were when Thanos wiped out half the universe and was about to do it again.

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

Some of you, like me, might be old enough to remember a time where you could watch a movie trailer and walk away actually knowing what the movie was going to be about.

These days you have to wait for the second trailer.

Frankly, too many love trailers give away far too much these days...

Marvel has earned a lot of faith from me at this point. I've read some spoilery story breakdowns online (because I'm not often bothered by too many spoilers unless I'm really wanting some surprises) and those, coupled with this teaser, tell me that yes, yes I still am interested.

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Last scene equals: Yes, this is really a MCU movie. See? We referenced the Avengers without explaining where the hell the Eternals were when Thanos wiped out half the universe and was about to do it again.

Also, Thanos is one of them, at least in the comics. Plus, an alien race being responsible for everything nice is too much incentive for the Ancient Aliens crowd.

The whole "what they were doing when Thanos or Loki showed up?" is really reason #1 (but not the only) for why the idea to start with the X-men as adults in the 20's or 30's is a very bad idea. 

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Frankly, too many love trailers give away far too much these days...

I think trailers fall into one of two camps.  Either they reveal the entire plot of the movie, or they're a jumbled mess of images and quotes that lack any meaningful context.

The latter is what Marvel loves to do.

There’s a few ways of answering the what were they doing question:

1. They lost their memories. 
2. They were dead and not resurrected yet at the time stuff happened. 
3. They only fight deviants and let humans get on with things otherwise.

Judging by the teaser this film doesn’t seem to be working with any of those explanations.

I honestly think the MCU is jut running into the problem Marvel comics as a whole have always ran into. Every time a new character is introduced, people always ask why they weren't part of the last major event story arc.

2 hours ago, john said:

There’s a few ways of answering the what were they doing question:

1. They lost their memories. 
2. They were dead and not resurrected yet at the time stuff happened. 
3. They only fight deviants and let humans get on with things otherwise.

Judging by the teaser this film doesn’t seem to be working with any of those explanations.

3 not really applies against Thanos, though.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

I honestly think the MCU is jut running into the problem Marvel comics as a whole have always ran into. Every time a new character is introduced, people always ask why they weren't part of the last major event story arc.

Marvel mostly circunvented that by making Cap. Marvel off-planet (also, Thor) and making the Ancient One be able to see the future. And Wolverine, who's old, would probably stay off the grid most of the time and wouldn't even know about threats, while Xavier can't walk.But have Storm, Cyclops, Beast, etc, around when Thanos shows up is a problem. 

Eternals aren't shapeshifters, no. But yes, Thanos doesn't look like these characters. That's because originally in the comics, Thanos and his family were Titanians, not Eternals, but the Titanians were retconned into being an offshoot branch of the Eternals based on the Jovian moon Titan. Also, the Eternals in the comics are split into two groups - the Eternals and the Deviants. Eternals look like humans, Deviants have varied appearances, mostly monstrous. So in the comics, Thanos is a Deviant and a member of an offshoot group from a colony on Titan. 

But MCU, Titan is a whole other world, so who knows whether he has any connection to the Eternals.

12 hours ago, sifth said:

I'm usually cool with the why heroes can't be everywhere. They're heroes but still can't know everything that is going on. But here they call the problem down on their own.

"Throughout the years, we have never interfered. Until now." Quick cut. Quick cut. Quick cut. (Song) "It ended when we said, goodbye..."

Then, "Dude, now that Tony and Steve are gone, maybe one of us should lead the Avengers!" 

Now, this tonal shift may just be the fault of the trailer being wrapped around a somber song, with the movie being much more a light hearted look at immortality.

As I've said upthread and many times on previous threads, I trust Marvel and have had my doubts turned to love before, but I'm still not feeling this one. AND I will be the first to admit being terribly wrong if/when this turns out to be great.  

Holy crap.

https://www.businessinsider.com/disney-anaheim-california-avengers-campus-sandwich-pym-adventure-park-disneyland-2021-5

"...Pym Test Kitchen..."

"The restaurant itself will be themed after the 2018 film "Ant-Man and the Wasp." In a reference to the movie, it will serve dishes that play with proportions, including a giant meatball on a massive metal spoon and a Caesar salad that comes with just one huge crouton."

:huh:

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Holy crap.

https://www.businessinsider.com/disney-anaheim-california-avengers-campus-sandwich-pym-adventure-park-disneyland-2021-5

"...Pym Test Kitchen..."

"The restaurant itself will be themed after the 2018 film "Ant-Man and the Wasp." In a reference to the movie, it will serve dishes that play with proportions, including a giant meatball on a massive metal spoon and a Caesar salad that comes with just one huge crouton."

By the way, did you know Disney is evil, lol

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Holy crap.

"...Pym Test Kitchen..."

So...the price seems to increase proportionately with the size of the entree.  But...does the price also shrink proportionately with the size?  I mean, how much is the thimble-sized cola, as an example?:P

Archived