Frasier to return

Mosi Mynn

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56191980

My favourite ever sitcom, so I'm not sure how I feel about this.

If they can re-capture the sublime magic of the majority of the series then it could be incredible.  But it could also be opportunistic and awful.

One way they coud go is to mirror Frasier, Niles and Martin's relationship with Freddie, David and Frasier.  I would be interested to see how the cousins differ from each other: David in paticular could be a very complex character with Daphne and Niles as parents.

I’m pessimistic. Firstly I think towards the end Frasier did go downhill and became a bit too farcical for my liking.

Secondly I’m trying to think of a sitcom that came back after a long break and kept the same level of quality. I’m thinking of Arrested Development which really was not the same show and I kind of hated it’s return. 

Having said that, if you think about the way Frasier adapted and created a new show from a character from Cheers there is potential to do something very different and new. I fear however it will just be fan service and a desperate attempt to recapture the old magic

1 hour ago, Mosi Mynn said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56191980

My favourite ever sitcom, so I'm not sure how I feel about this.

If they can re-capture the sublime magic of the majority of the series then it could be incredible.  But it could also be opportunistic and awful.

One way they coud go is to mirror Frasier, Niles and Martin's relationship with Freddie, David and Frasier.  I would be interested to see how the cousins differ from each other: David in paticular could be a very complex character with Daphne and Niles as parents.

I just hope they don't mess it up.

Freddie would be much older than David though, so it could hardly be a similar kind of relationship.

20 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

How exactly would any new episodes affect the existing seasons?

In a way that I wouldn't see it as a separate series but as new season(s) of the series and would "judge" the series as a whole.

It would hardly be the first TV series that was ruined by later seasons, would it?

5 minutes ago, baxus said:

In a way that I wouldn't see it as a separate series but as new season(s) of the series and would "judge" the series as a whole.

It would hardly be the first TV series that was ruined by later seasons, would it?

I still mentally separate the golden years of the Simpsons from the garbage that has followed it for decades. I just kind of block it out of my mind that the show is still continuing. It’s quite painful though 

Complaining about Frasier becoming 'too farcical' surely misses the point? The essence of its success was that it was, in theatrical terms, a farce.

Anyway, I'm not at all sure there are any stories left to tell about Frasier. Maybe Grammer can bring Kirstie Alley in as co-star, do a guest spot with Roseanne Barr and Gina Carano?

6 minutes ago, mormont said:

Complaining about Frasier becoming 'too farcical' surely misses the point? The essence of its success was that it was, in theatrical terms, a farce.

Anyway, I'm not at all sure there are any stories left to tell about Frasier. Maybe Grammer can bring Kirstie Alley in as co-star, do a guest spot with Roseanne Barr and Gina Carano?

Not really, sure the show was always farcical, but it was also competent farce, towards the end of its run I felt the show was straining at the edges to rinse comedy out, being overtly silly to get cheap laughs. 

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m pessimistic. Firstly I think towards the end Frasier did go downhill and became a bit too farcical for my liking.

Secondly I’m trying to think of a sitcom that came back after a long break and kept the same level of quality. I’m thinking of Arrested Development which really was not the same show and I kind of hated it’s return. 

Having said that, if you think about the way Frasier adapted and created a new show from a character from Cheers there is potential to do something very different and new. I fear however it will just be fan service and a desperate attempt to recapture the old magic

AD had the problem it couldn't have all his cast together because some of the actors had other commitments.

That said, yeah, this looks like a cash grab.

The show definitely got worse near the end. At the time a lot of people blamed that on Niles and Daphne getting together. 

I wonder why CBS? It was an NBC show, wouldn't they own the rights to it?

I wonder if they considered doing Cheers? At the very least I bet Danson would be willing to show up for this. 

I never really got why Frasier was so revered and still is now.  I think a lot of it simply has to do with the fact it was better and smarter than Friends.

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I wonder why CBS? It was an NBC show, wouldn't they own the rights to it?

It was produced by Paramount Television - as was Cheers.  The example that made me realize this difference was WB producing West Wing, which is why it's now on HBOMax.  

The frst 5 seasons were the best. That said, there were still good episodes later on. but the writing had a lot more issues than the way they wrtoe Niles/Daphne (which was terible).

I'm not optimistic about a sequel, though.

ETA: It was a witty, funny, usually not dumbed-down show. What's not to like? I didn't make it through even one episode of Cheers, just thought it was boring.

9 hours ago, mormont said:

Rude. Why didn't you invite Curt Schilling? 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I never really got why Frasier was so revered and still is now. 

For me it was on as a kid and I didn't control the remote. It's enjoyable, but many episodes feel like they're just playing the same notes over and over again. That said, there's the possibility it helped in a minor way push me towards being interested in psychology, and for that I am grateful. 

I don't see how this works without, at least, David Hyde-Pierce (and still probably Jane Leeves). Frasier was above all an ensemble and it was the dialogue and situations that worked best. Weirdly this was the last item on the "world report" CBC radio news this morning. 

20 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

I don't see how this works without, at least, David Hyde-Pierce (and still probably Jane Leeves). Frasier was above all an ensemble and it was the dialogue and situations that worked best. Weirdly this was the last item on the "world report" CBC radio news this morning. 

Oh, I didn't notice that only Grammer was confirmed... Of course they'd need the old cast back. I wouldn't even consider watching without Niles. And ideally, Roz and Daphne.

And then, of course, you'd need very good writers.

I've been watching reruns of Frasier these past few months on this obscure cable channel that shows it between the Munsters and Rosanne.  Tonight was the final two episodes so its funny to see this news after watching those. The series ends with Frasier getting off the plane in Chicago where he's flown to go after Laura Linney after leaving Seattle.  I'm just mildly interested to see where they end up basing the new series as it really could be anywhere as it does not have to be Seattle.  I can totally see them having all new characters but for Frasier.

I had completely forgotten Niles and Daphne had a baby, I had to look that up.  What I didn't realize is their baby was named David after the show's co-creator David Angell who was killed on 9/11 with his wife on the flight from Boston to LA. I don't remember reading about them before.

Archived