Frasier to return

Mosi Mynn

10 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Oh, I didn't notice that only Grammer was confirmed... Of course they'd need the old cast back. I wouldn't even consider watching without Niles. And ideally, Roz and Daphne.

And then, of course, you'd need very good writers.

Yeah, I think it'd need David Hyde Pierce at a minimum. Jane Leeves (Daphne) is apparently already working on another show and says she won't be leaving so presumably she's out as a main character at least.

Didn't they explain away the actress that plays Daphne's actual pregnancy as weight gain because she was depressed or some shit..*checks google* - yep.  

The best part of that show was John Mahoney and the dog.  I suppose you can replace the dog, but not Mahoney.

14 hours ago, DMC said:

I never really got why Frasier was so revered and still is now.  I think a lot of it simply has to do with the fact it was better and smarter than Friends.

In the UK they aired Frasier immediately after Friends as a one-two Friday night punch, which I think flattered Frasier tremendously.

It was a solid show for much of its run and interesting for its commentary on America's class system and things like psychology, but it's amusing that it was much better at being a farce than any kind of clever comedy.

A key problem here is that Frasier has appeared in 466 episodes of two long-running sitcoms. I'm not sure what more there is to do with the character. Revisiting him in older age (Grammer is 66, which is actually a bit younger than I thought) might throw up a few laughs and interesting ideas, but probably wouldn't sustain another long run. Of course Paramount+ probably aren't banking on that, feeling that even a 6-10 episode short run might help get eyeballs on the service.

I was blissfully unaware of Grammer's leanings... Is it so bad he'd spout insurrection-y or Q stuff on twitter? Because then they should just leave him out from the start. The other Crane boy was the breakout character anyway. Oh wait... I'd watch a show called Lilith. Any time.

Otherwise, Frasier has somehow ended up with Eddie's great-grandpuppy and he hates it.

Hmmmkay... No Daphne, so she divorced Niles when they met Guy the ski instructor again.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine they could pull it off.

17 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I was blissfully unaware of Grammer's leanings... Is it so bad he'd spout insurrection-y or Q stuff on twitter? Because then they should just leave him out from the start. The other Crane boy was the breakout character anyway. Oh wait... I'd watch a show called Lilith. Any time.

As far as can be told, Grammer was a reluctant Trump-voter, at best (he first supported Ben Carson), and never a full-throated supporter. He's anti-abortion (but that's extended only as far as wearing a T-shirt) but pro-gay marriage, a climate change sceptic, a Vladimir Putin fan and apparently supported the Tea Party but "only on economic issues". No signs he's a Qanonster or an election conspiracy theorist. No sign of an imminent meltdown. I think he got that out of his system with his substance abuse problems.

45 minutes ago, Werthead said:

As far as can be told, Grammer was a reluctant Trump-voter, at best (he first supported Ben Carson), and never a full-throated supporter. He's anti-abortion (but that's extended only as far as wearing a T-shirt) but pro-gay marriage, a climate change sceptic, a Vladimir Putin fan and apparently supported the Tea Party but "only on economic issues". No signs he's a Qanonster or an election conspiracy theorist. No sign of an imminent meltdown. I think he got that out of his system with his substance abuse problems.

Didn't he also have some horrible family tragedy in his past? Something about a sister (?) being murdered and also some other relative being killed? (Full disclosure: I might have watched a few episodes of 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills on Netflix recently, where one of the women was his - now ex - wife! :P) 

• 3 weeks later...

This says Grammer wasn't sure in 2019 what the situation would be but it's a "Third Act" not a continuation of the same set-up of Frasier.

As for what his character is doing to keep himself busy these days, the actor says that decision is still up in the air. “He’s past the radio show. He might be an art dealer. He might be a professor. We don’t know yet.”

Grammer characterizes the reboot as a new chapter, rather than a continuation of the old storyline. Referencing the character’s history, first on “Cheers” and then on his own show, Grammer says “this will be the third act of ‘Frasier’ rather than trying to pick it up, like ‘Will & Grace’ did, right where they were.”

If professor, I could see him as some controversial figure, a Jordan Peterson like person battling the campus libs and offending everybody.  Archie Bunker on campus.

idk -- I don't remember how liberal or conservative he was on Frasier.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

idk -- I don't remember how liberal or conservative he was on Frasier.

Frasier the character's political views were pretty much the polar opposite of Kelsey Grammer's!

Maybe he's had an about face - but that would be disappointing.

Yeah, Frasier and Niles were bleeding-heart libs, as their father would have said. They already made Roseanne (in the terrible reboot) a Trump fan, I could do without Frasier doing the same...  Although he could still being a curmudgeon...

Coming to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a reboot of a show that I liked, so....

@dmc , yes, that "Daphne is overeating because depressed" plot was terrible. Oh, and later they decided it was funny to have her family come over, each of them being assholes and treating her like shit. Painful to watch. I remember they had a short stint of Elvis Costello (not as her family) and I even hated him. He was one of my favoite singer/ songwriters at the time. 

Interesting he stressed that it is going to be a third act, separate from Cheers and Frasier. I suppose lacking David Hyde Pierce would sit better with me if Frasier is in a completely different environment than his radio studio, family apartment, or Seattle coffee shop. I never liked his character as much as everyone around him on either show, so whomever they fill the cast with will hopefully be exceptional.

This makes me want to go back and re-watch Cheers, which was is only a hazy memory on Thursday nights as a kid, bolstered by random syndication repeats here and there. 

On 3/17/2021 at 12:11 PM, Argonath Diver said:

Interesting he stressed that it is going to be a third act, separate from Cheers and Frasier.

He's working in a circus, where a clown throws pies into his face. And secretly, he's a criminal mastermind.

• 3 months later...

That’s like if the Sex and the City reboot ditched its fifth character, New York, on top of ditching its best character, Samantha.

Not a Sex and... watcher, but I agree. Not interested without Niles, and the being rich(er) plot sounds boring as hell. I mean, he was always wealthy enough to afford anything he fancied, so I don't see the difference... Unless he becomes even more insufferable than he was towards the end of the show.

Of course, I might change my mind if they got Sir Patrick Stewart to guest star again... or if he has to put up with tons of terriers... nah.

I always imagined Frasier as a middle aged man (although he was in his late 20s when he started in Cheers) so the “third act” of life thing isn’t really computing.

Archived