Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/2/24/22297512/avatar-last-airbender-korra-studios-paramount-plus-streaming-netflix

Netflix can fuck off now :D What'd you guys think the film will be about? I'm hoping it's an adaptation of The Search and The Promise. To finally tie up loose ends in the animated medium as well!

30 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/2/24/22297512/avatar-last-airbender-korra-studios-paramount-plus-streaming-netflix

Netflix can fuck off now :D What'd you guys think the film will be about? I'm hoping it's an adaptation of The Search and The Promise. To finally tie up loose ends in the animated medium as well!

Hopefully something good can come from this? I’d heard the original creators had left that upcoming series they were planning? Guess they are back on board? What did I miss?

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Hopefully something good can come from this? I’d heard the original creators had left that upcoming series they were planning? Guess they are back on board? What did I miss?

They've left the Netflix production and have teamed up back with nickelodeon for creating new animated TV shows and movies set in the Avatarverse. Will all be launching on Paramount + later in the year. 

The presence of the original creators is great but it's interesting that they're back with Nick considering how badly the network fucked around with the release and production of Korra.

My guess is that Nick retained the rights to elements of the IP so it was easier to work with them again vs. some other place.

19 hours ago, Vaughn said:

The presence of the original creators is great but it's interesting that they're back with Nick considering how badly the network fucked around with the release and production of Korra.

My guess is that Nick retained the rights to elements of the IP so it was easier to work with them again vs. some other place.

There's that and the fact that the show has become much more hugely popular than when it was on the air, which gives them a substantially bigger audience to draw on for a new project.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

There's that and the fact that the show has become much more hugely popular than when it was on the air, which gives them a substantially bigger audience to draw on for a new project.

Has it? I remember The Last Airbender being very popular at the time of it's ending. Korra started out very popular as well. I think it was after the second season that Nick started screwing the show over; they didn't even announce season 3 was airing until a few days before it started. It was even worse for season 4, which I believe only aired online, on Nick's crapy streaming platform, that most people didn't even know existed.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

The show becoming more popular or certainly more widely regarded as an all time great kids show is to the credit of the creative team but nothing to do with Nick. The creators were pretty down on Nick when they finished Korra - that's why I'm wondering why they returned and if there was an IP issue. If they owned the IP, I thought they'd want to work directly with Paramount or something.

Nick's place in the new Paramount+ ecosystem will be different, though, and I bet Bryke figured they'd have more say now after how well both shows did on Netflix.

They also have a very sticky fanbase, which has piled quite a lot of displeasure on Netflix based on their word. That's hardly something the Nick folks can ignore. 

On 2/26/2021 at 1:01 PM, sifth said:

Has it? I remember The Last Airbender being very popular at the time of it's ending. Korra started out very popular as well. I think it was after the second season that Nick started screwing the show over; they didn't even announce season 3 was airing until a few days before it started. It was even worse for season 4, which I believe only aired online, on Nick's crapy streaming platform, that most people didn't even know existed.

A:TLA has been the most popular animated show on Netflix for the last year or so, and spent more time on the Netflix #10 list than apparently any other show in the streamer's history, whilst the show's HD relaunch a couple of years back even sold really well on Blu-Ray.

Korra I think is still lagging behind, but still doing reasonably well.

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

A:TLA has been the most popular animated show on Netflix for the last year or so, and spent more time on the Netflix #10 list than apparently any other show in the streamer's history, whilst the show's HD relaunch a couple of years back even sold really well on Blu-Ray.

Korra I think is still lagging behind, but still doing reasonably well.

I'm not saying that The Last Airbender is not popular right now, just that it's popularity never seemed to diminished, IMO. It's an amazing show, that's had a crazy legacy and great fan support.

On 2/27/2021 at 7:19 AM, sifth said:

I'm not saying that The Last Airbender is not popular right now, just that it's popularity never seemed to diminished, IMO. It's an amazing show, that's had a crazy legacy and great fan support.

I don't think there's any denying that the Netflix launch made both shows reach a significantly wider audience. The shows never lost their popularity, but the scale of that popularity has gone up.

Archived