Size and fate of winterfell food reserves

Mrstrategy

What was the size of Winterfell food reserves at the time of iron born capture of winterfell and it's sack by Ramsay?was it large enough it had been able to feed winterfell staff and a large garrison 200-600 for up to a year or was it only large enough to feed winterfell small staff abd garrison?what happen to the food reserves after sack?

I can't recall it being specifically stated. Ideally they should've been storing for winter well before the series even started being it was an abnormally long summer. Given how swiftly Winterfell fell to Theon, any food stores there would've been captured by him as well. So any food stores would've either been burned or looted by the Boltons when they captured the castle. As food reserves seem to be an issue in the winter campaign against Stannis, it was either destroyed or there just wasn't much to begin with. The latter may well be the case as other cities/castles seem to have limited food supplies during sieges and campaigns despite the fact they should've been storing for winter as well.

Given Manderly's contribution to the Bolton regime was bringing a large amount of food, it probably says a lot about the state of Winterfell's supplies. Anything that could be put to the torch in Winterfell was. Anything of value would have been carried off.  So one could assume that when Bolton decided to move into Winterfell and restore it, that he was starting from scratch. Other villages and banner men would have had what stores they could, but I doubt they would have given up much to the Bolton's and I'm sure they'd have hidden what they had and needed.

As to Winterfell before Theon took it, one would have to assume that under the Starks and even after Ned's departure, that Winterfell would be run responsibly with full knowledge of the season and to be prepared if winter even came early.  House words.

Archived