Covid 19 #26: Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

Fragile Bird

I don’t categorically agree with that, a cold is exactly something you can catch in your garden or on a socially distance walk.

This seems to be a very prevalent opinion among the post-communist countries. Just yesterday a friend claimed she caught a cold because she went out to the balcony with a wet head. But common cold is actually caused by coronaviruses. You can't just get it from the air - at least not any more than you can get covid from the air.

12 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

This seems to be a very prevalent opinion among the post-communist countries. Just yesterday a friend claimed she caught a cold because she went out to the balcony with a wet head. But common cold is actually caused by coronaviruses. You can't just get it from the air - at least not any more than you can get covid from the air.

Would't call it an opinion. More a superstition. Common cold, flu, or corona, you catch them exactly the same way. That's why people in Asia have been wearing masks for decades.

Being cold dressed can lower your immune system a little and let a virus that you’ve already bumped into, bloom. You get the virus from other people breathing on you, if airborne, or touching something with virus and putting your fingers in your eyes, nose or mouth. In the 
case of Covid , a lot of the virus floats in the air or rests on surfaces, so the more load, the more risk. Wearing masks and eye glasses or goggles reduces infection for you and others. Air current seems to dry out viruses and reduce their infection rate, and perhaps kill them. Soap and water kills the virus.

3 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Being cold dressed can lower your immune system a little and let a virus that you’ve already bumped into, bloom. You get the virus from other people breathing on you, if airborne, or touching something with virus and putting your fingers in your eyes, nose or mouth. In the 
case of Covid , a lot of the virus floats in the air or rests on surfaces, so the more load, the more risk. Wearing masks and eye glasses or goggles reduces infection for you and others. Air current seems to dry out viruses and reduce their infection rate, and perhaps kill them. Soap and water kills the virus.

yes, but people in Poland seem to think that you can get sick just from feeling cold.

Wow. Canada approved the AZ vaccine without seeing the results from the US Phase 3 trial. I am astonished. I wonder if AZ provided more data from the UK?

I heard this news reported on CNBC. The reporter then added, ‘as a country without vaccine manufacturing Canada has really struggled’. Man, I just wanted to throw something at the screen. They never, never add “and of course the US has prohibited exports of vaccine to our major trade partner”. Never. And yes, dear, we have vaccine manufacturing in this country, just not the Covid vaccine.

2 hours ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

Just to clarify, SOME colds are caused by corona viruses, not all colds.  Colds are really a description for a set of symptoms...

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Just to clarify, SOME colds are caused by corona viruses, not all colds.  Colds are really a description for a set of symptoms...

Yes, about 15 % of colds is caused by other coronaviruses. But that doesn't mean that 85% is coming from sitting on the balcony and getting cold. There are other viruses as rhinoviruses and adenoviruses and in some case like sore throat sometimes also bacteria, which causes the other 85 %

you can get a runny nose going from one temperature to another. Or an allergy.

That’s not a cold. A cold is a viral infection. You can’t get a cold without an exposure to a virus. I shall die on this hill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold

https://www.medicinenet.com/common_cold/article.htm

edit: yes, as Joanna says, colds can also be caused by other viruses.

Oh, Health Canada actually approved the the brand name AZ vaccine and the Covishield vaccine being produced under the COVAX program. I wonder if they are slightly different?

We bought 20 M doses of the AZ vaccine. It will be shipped from US manufacturing plants. Ha ha ha. I wonder if that will be released by the US, since the US is supposed to be completely supplied by the “superior” vaccines by May. We are supposed to be supplied with about 1.9M doses of the Covishield vaccine, 500k from Korea in a few weeks, the rest from India, by May.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

It's a common belief in LA countries too. On the other hand, this (very old) study has been pointed out in some discussions regarding covid

An outbreak of common colds at an Antarctic base after seventeen weeks of complete isolation

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2130424/

What a really cool old article. I also could image that this cold virus survived somewhere deep frozen in antarctica until some scientists needed to melt some ice for tea or so..

That reminds me are not the chinese now claiming that the coronavirus was somehow imported to them on frozen salmond?

That reminds me again was there not an expedition to the arctis to find the deadly 1918 spanish flu H1N1 variant again which is otherwise extinct? Or did that already happen? or was it a science fiction movie ... I really need to recheck

Viruses would be so much fun if they were only in science fiction movies...

3 minutes ago, JoannaL said:

What a really cool old article. I also could image that this cold virus survived somewhere deep frozen in antarctica until some scientists needed to melt some ice for tea or so..

That reminds me are not the chinese now claiming that the coronavirus was somehow imported to them on frozen salmond?

Yes. They blamed Canada for that. There, you know our dirty little secret, Covid-19 came from Canada. :laugh:

I think a couple of other countries were blamed too.

5 minutes ago, JoannaL said:

That reminds me again was there not an expedition to the arctis to find the deadly 1918 spanish flu H1N1 variant again which is otherwise extinct? Or did that already happen? or was it a science fiction movie ... I really need to recheck

Yes, they did that years ago, going to cemeteries in northern Norway hoping some of the people buried there died of the Spanish flu. I don’t think they found anything, but I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

aren’t there also fears we will encounter old-style diseases now that permafrost is melting?

Yes.

5 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

aren’t there also fears we will encounter old-style diseases now that permafrost is melting?

Yes, I happened to watch a documentation about that just last week on TV. It claimed to be about the problems of the migration  of the wild rendeers  (not frozen-over lakes and rivers), BUT half way in the unsuspecting watcher was confronted with melting permafrost fields and 30000 year old diseases which are now resurfacing without any human having any immune defense against...it was really unappropriate TV in the middle of a pandemic .. and they should have put in some warnings ...

on the other hand we are (hopefully) just now learning stuff and getting better in defending against sinister 30000 year old viruses so perhaps the Coronavirus did do us a favor

Archived