Covid 19 #26: Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Well, undocumented people cannot be refused service at ERs

Yeah, EMTALA is what ensures that happens, but medical care outside of Emergency Care is very limited for undocumented immigrants. And just Emergency care is unfortunately not good enough given the amount of morbidity that occurs outside of what is defined as medical emergencies. The only obligation hospitals have with EMTALA is to stabilize a patient, which is a low bar given how much outpatient care is needed for a lot of medical conditions.

It's one of the legitimate criticisms of the ACA, that it did absolutely nothing for undocumented immigrants and did little for even the documented immigrants.

3 hours ago, Raja said:

I think it's mostly NYC and LA that have *okay-ish* health programs for undocumented immigrants. I'm curious as to what the vaccination plan for undocumented immigrants is in those cities.

As far as the vaccines are concerned, NYC makes absolutely no distinctions based on immigration status and the vaccination site explicitly says that no immigration documents are required (though you do need an address in the city). Thus, anyone can get the vaccine as long as they satisfy the current qualification criteria and have a valid photo ID and proof of address.

Incidentally, the criteria and enforcement thereof in NYC are so loose that it's basically an honor system. There's a long list of qualifying professions and another list of health-related conditions which include, for example, asthma, obesity and high blood pressure. All of these are fairly common, but what makes it even looser is that no proof of the condition is required:

You do not need documentation from your personal health care provider or any other proof of your condition to get a vaccine in NYC. It is only necessary for you to self-certify you have an underlying condition that makes you eligible.

It's actually a bit surprising how honest people here have been.

13 hours ago, Raja said:

If it will cause you to be less irked, my covid was exactly the same. I had a fever for 1-2 days, but it was almost exclusively stomach issues after that for a further few days/ a week. I ate nothing for a 2-3 days and only drank orange juice. Roughly 10-11 days after my symptoms started, I recovered, everything gradually got better and I was completely fine 12-14 days after my symptoms started.  Those are all legit symptoms. Good luck and I'm sorry about all the stress you're going through. 

As an aside, at least from a clinician's standpoint with the patients I've seen, it is quite remarkable how consistent timelines have been for people that have COVID 19, at least at the acute level/ those that have respiratory issues; days 1-6 is fevers, cold, shivers, losing appetite, day 6-10 is usually shortness of breath that gets worse, and it's usually after day 10-11 that people split into two further lanes; those who recover and those who end up getting a full blown inflammatory response that ends up with them requiring oxygen and organ support and end up developing complications like clots in the lung ( obvious caveats here that this does not apply to everyone and long covid has it's own timelines)

I’m trying to eat a little for every meal even though I don’t really have appetite, because I already lost a scary amount of weight and the starting point wasn’t great to begin with.    For me phase one was the sore throat, nasal congestion, sinus and forehead pressure and the hoarse voice. Than all that cleared up and I have this weird fidgety feeling, the occasional lightheadedness and the stomach issues. I’m on day 6 since my symptoms started so there may be some unpleasant surprises down the road. 

sister is feeling a bit better though, she says she’s less feverish and her throat and shortness of breath is better, which makes her calmer as well. Hope she’ll continue to improve and get this shit behind her soon. 

I got my dose 1 of Pfizer today. Was impressed by how well organised things were here in Dubai. There were a lot of people but the process was seamless and completely punctual. So far, no side effects, a hardly-noticeable pain on the jab site but that's it. Perhaps more effects to follow in a few hours? I've read and heard about people feeling some effects a few hours after, and well into the next couple of days or even longer. 

1 minute ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m trying to eat a little for every meal even though I don’t really have appetite, because I already lost a scary amount of weight and the starting point wasn’t great to begin with.    For me phase one was the sore throat, nasal congestion, sinus and forehead pressure and the hoarse voice. Than all that cleared up and I have this weird fidgety feeling, the occasional lightheadedness and the stomach issues. I’m on day 6 since my symptoms started so there may be some unpleasant surprises down the road. 

sister is feeling a bit better though, she says she’s less feverish and her throat and shortness of breath is better, which makes her calmer as well. Hope she’ll continue to improve and get this shit behind her soon. 

Really hope you turn a corner and start feeling better soon, with a full recovery ASAP. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Get well soon. Good luck! And as said above, being able to check oxygen levels every few hours might be useful, for you and your sister, to make sure they don't drop. With covid, you might not notice it.

1 hour ago, Crixus said:

So far, no side effects, a hardly-noticeable pain on the jab site but that's it. Perhaps more effects to follow in a few hours? I've read and heard about people feeling some effects a few hours after, and well into the next couple of days or even longer. 

No idea how it'll be with covid vaccine for me, but so far when I had quite typical reactions (light fever, sore arm/shoulder mostly), it took a few hours before symptoms appeared. Sore arm usually lasts the longest, but never beyond 2 and a half day.

4 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Get well soon. Good luck! And as said above, being able to check oxygen levels every few hours might be useful, for you and your sister, to make sure they don't drop. With covid, you might not notice it.

And how do I check that? With a pulse oxi meter only?  I suppose I should get one of those... :/ 

11 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Right, my sense of taste and smell is gone now. No idea what that means. In terms of stagnation, improvement or escalation, I mean. And I’m really really tired. 

I'm sorry you and your Sister are ill,  and the extra stress your sister's panic is putting on you.  this is not your fault, and hey you might not have even been the one that brought it in the house.

I hope you all get better soon.

Not sure if it helps, but when I'm ill with no appetite and can't face eating I drink Innocent Smoothies.  these are really tasty and more a food than a drink, and only contain fruit so really good for you (in moderation) and help with energy levels.  Of course if you have no sense of taste or smell I guess they won't taste good.  I found these a life saver when I had swine flu when that was going round years ago.  I also found them soothing to my throat and really easy to drink and gentle on the stomach.  If you can get someone to bring you some it may help.   - might not help with any diaherra  issues.

Biden confirmed yesterday that he will not help out either Canada or Mexico with vaccine doses until all Americans are vaccinated.

On the bright (?) side of things, he has also announced Merck will start making the J&J vaccine. 

38 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Yes, that’s the pulse oximeter. It’s a little thing that just clips on gently over a finger. Don’t be wearing nail polish, that will screw it up.

Bought one last April at my local drugstore, they thought they were all gone but had just gotten a new supply. Since they had plenty around, I bought one for my 75+ mom the next day, so that she could check herself every few hours in case she unluckily got covid. Even though I didn't have covid, I checked every day for months to have a good idea of my normal range and my extremes/outliers.

Also interesting to check the pulse. I always knew my mom has a very slow pulse, but it turns out that mine is slightly slow as well, I'm always below 65 when lying and usually below 60. Heck, on mornings, I can make the pulse-meter alarm ring if I just woke up, because I can be at 48-49 pulses/min.

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Right, my sense of taste and smell is gone now. No idea what that means. In terms of stagnation, improvement or escalation, I mean. And I’m really really tired. 

I tend to think (and hope) you are on the right track, although this disease makes sometimes weird turns. Most people I know, they start loosing the sense of taste and smell, but in your case it's coming after a while already.

I've myself the feeling of something sticky back in the throat, nothing else. Maybe I should get tested too.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Yeah, they are pretty neat! My normal range of oxygen saturation appears to be around 99%, but when I’m sick with a bad cold can go down to 95%.

Oh well mine is truly mediocre but it doesn't seem to affect me so that's probably fine. It's usually between 95% and 97% and it's quite common that level goes down to 94%, and of course can go up to 99%, but I'm rarely at 98-99 - at least not when resting, of course if I just exercised it'll jump up.

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

My cousin's husband got this last, after shortness of breath, sore throat and fever. Took him a few weeks to really recover it, but other than that he was basically fine at this stage of illness. Hopefully, it'll be the same for you, with of course smell and taste coming back faster.

Like, guys, pulse oximeters are a fabulous invention, but they have an error margin that can be a couple of points either way. Don’t take the numbers you see as gospel. Know your range so that when there’s a deviation you can react.

Fifteen years ago I bought one for my mother, for $150 or $250, I’d have to find the receipt, if I still have it. My jaw dropped when Chats said $30, I had to go look at Amazon and see. I tried to buy one this time last year and they were a) a lot more, and b) sold out. I’m not sure I’d have a lot of faith in the accuracy of a $30 one, but keeping in mind that they have an error range, it would still be a fine tool to have. I will pick one up now, the old one died. :)

4 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Walgreens, $35 US :) 

Of course, it’s not hospital grade. Maybe you bought an extra fancy one, or maybe the prices have come down a lot?

I think the prices have come down a lot. Back in 2005 trade with China was relatively small, trade grew mainly after 2010, and it looks like almost everything on Amazon comes from China. Remember Trump getting a rise out of his crowds by talking about how everything needs to be made in the US again? Think about $150, or more, for that oximeter!

14 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I try not to buy things on Amazon. I only do if a local store is out of the item or doesn’t carry the item. 

I just checked the 2 biggest drugstore chains and Costco Canada, and none of them carry oximeters. A medical supply outfit has them on sale for $99. However, I see Walmart has them, and so I’ll order one from them. On sale, $36 instead of $59.

Archived