Covid 19 #26: Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

Fragile Bird

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Excuse me, but what does this mean to you? The definitions I found by Googling either refer to "extreme drunkenness" or oral sex, and I don't think you mean either of those from the context here. 

It is hilarious, you're right.  It's just something one of my great-grandfathers would say, when surprised, bewildered at something unexpected, "Well, I'm gosh-darned consarned swoggled," he used to say.  :D  That Great-grand had a lot of such expressions, which fascinated me as a kid.  I loved hearing them.

The experience where I got vaccinated today is as different as night and day from where Partner got vaccinated -- a Walgreen's pharmacy.  It was extremely well organized, I was early and was intaken immediately, well directed, informed, moved along, scheduled for the second dose all quicker than the 15 minutes of staying seated in case of a reaction.  They already sent me a confirmation of second appointment.  Pharmacy hasn't done that for Partner, which is why the first time around we thought the appointment hadn't actually gone through.

I also want to thank President Biden.

I am certain that if he wasn't Our President, I wouldn't have an appointment until next fall, if ever.

I also will echo that thanks to President Biden.

While he's not a perfect man, I do feel we finally have a leader that is actively and purposely implementing a strategy to defeat the virus and protect American lives.

So refreshing after the former leader who seemed to just not give a damn and who was flat out uninterested in doing the work and taking on the responsibility of protecting the public.

Am staying at home tomorrow too, as the fever is not completely gone yet. I hope to at least get a better sleep tonight. I feel marginally better right now, probably because of the fever medication, but I don't know yet if it will last. All the news about the side effects of AZ are scaring me. But I suppose if I had any actually extreme reactions, that would have showed up by now. One can only hope the second shot won't have such strong side effects for me.

7 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

One can only hope the second shot won't have such strong side effects for me.

I hope so too.  I know being sick for 2 - 3 days is not a joke -- though it sure is worth it to be protected from hospitalization severity.

I haven't been seeing that much reportage outside of this forum on the AZ, due to location.  But with the other vaccines, generally, for people who get side effects, it seems its the second round that provokes them more often, but if you had them first round, you didn't get them again -- generally.  But that's just anecdotal, not a scientific study.

24 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Am staying at home tomorrow too, as the fever is not completely gone yet. I hope to at least get a better sleep tonight. I feel marginally better right now, probably because of the fever medication, but I don't know yet if it will last. All the news about the side effects of AZ are scaring me. But I suppose if I had any actually extreme reactions, that would have showed up by now. One can only hope the second shot won't have such strong side effects for me.

Hope you’re feeling better soon! :grouphug: I can 100% understand that the AZ news are scary, but it’s still very unlikely that any serious side effect would occur. Of course I’m sure that feeling a flu-like reaction to the vaccine isn’t pleasant either. At least you’ll have protection now against the actual illness. 

On my end, my aunt got the first shot of AZ today and my grandmother is getting Moderna tomorrow. I’m still very much looking forward to my mum’s getting the first shot of the vaccine before Easter. I hope she will get to do the Easter grocery shopping already having at least partial protection. 

As for myself, I’ve been fine. Unpleasant symptoms cleared up by Sunday and I was in top shape to pick up work on Monday. By now even my sense of smell and taste are returning. There’s one stray thought in the back of my mind that sometimes tickles my nerves to alert them to the 0.01% chance of collapsing with some form of thrombosis at any second. I’m sure the feeling will pass with time. In retrospect I can only say that I was extremely lucky to have had it as mildly as I did and also that I didn’t spread it to anybody and that it was I who got it rather than anybody in my family. I am unspeakably grateful for all that and I’m trying to live up to the goodness the God or the universe has showed me. (That is, I’m trying to mind my nutrition and move my body as much as I can locked in a flat) 

I’m also unspeakably grateful to you all for the emotional support and great advice! Thanks so much from the bottom of my heart again. 

Generally, we are doing fairly all right with vaccination process. Over 10% already got their first shot of the vaccine, though only 3% had both shots. In terms of the third wave, the stats are dire. We are breaking records every day in every single stat, be that new cases, new deaths or ICU patients. People are also pretty afraid and most of the city is a ghost town from what I can tell. I might go for a walk somewhere far from people at the upcoming long weekend, otherwise I’m getting everything delivered and have no intention of mixing with people before Easter (when sister and I hope to visit my mum after strict quarantine and two negative tests on my part). 

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m getting everything delivered and have no intention of mixing with people before Easter

This is what you have to do. It really is, to reduce the risk and the rate of infection, sickness and even death for yourself and everyone else.

11 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Still, one should wonder why it's happening (if it's happening) in continental Europe (afaik there are cases in Austria, Denmark and Greece) and not in the millions vaccinated in UK.

I think there have been incidents in the UK except "reports of blood clots are not greater than the number that would have occurred naturally in the vaccinated population".  An advantage of having millions of people vaccinated with the same drug, it takes more for something to be statistically significant.

And AZ is still finding it very difficult to source doses for the EU.  No progress on the US side (or Indian for that matter), although all very vague.  See here.

9 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Yep, these side effects seem to be common - I heard some of the other coworkers that had the vaccination yesterday are out with the same today as well.

Yeah, I didn't have any side effects besides a sore arm, but I know quite a few of my colleagues that took a few days off work because they felt poorly.

Has anyone seen anything about a jump in cases of Shingles in people who have been vaccinated? My brother was watching a US medical reporter on, I think, a Chicago television station, who was suggesting older people try to get the Shingles vaccine first, before getting their Covid vaccine, due to reports of increased incidents of the disease occurring after vaccination.

8 hours ago, Padraig said:

I think there have been incidents in the UK except "reports of blood clots are not greater than the number that would have occurred naturally in the vaccinated population".  An advantage of having millions of people vaccinated with the same drug, it takes more for something to be statistically significant.

Apparently, one key difference is the affected patients have blood clots "all over their bodies" according to some statements, which is different to normal clots. I cannot confirm this from a reliable source.

8 hours ago, Padraig said:

And AZ is still finding it very difficult to source doses for the EU.  No progress on the US side (or Indian for that matter), although all very vague.  See here.

I saw that today. Somehow AZ manages to get everyday into the headlines in not a good way.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Has anyone seen anything about a jump in cases of Shingles in people who have been vaccinated? My brother was watching a US medical reporter on, I think, a Chicago television station, who was suggesting older people try to get the Shingles vaccine first, before getting their Covid vaccine, due to reports of increased incidents of the disease occurring after vaccination.

No. But I heard reports of women with problems with their menstrual cycles, but I also heard the same associated to COVID-19.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure we’ll pass 10k new cases tomorrow (and thats 0.1% of our entire population. In one day) That’s just... I have no words and I don’t understand how this is even possible or what else could be done. I guess this is the time when we just sit at home and hope we don’t die :dunno: it’s so unbelievable because this should be a time when we are calmly and waiting for the vaccines and not a time when going to the grocery store is a life risking decision. 

The UK mutation is now the cause of ~60% of all infections in Austria(~70% in Vienna) .  Not good news. The South Africa mutation seems to spread less effective but we did quarantine the state with the most such infections. 

I will not be surprised if the next peak in infections and deaths is worse than the last one.

Archived