Covid 19 #26: Now is the Winter of Our Discontent

Fragile Bird

15 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Anecdotal evidence, the Oxford/AZ vaccine has a bigger chance of doing this than Pfizer. Me and my dad both had AZ and had 24 hours of general lurgy, Mum had the Pfizer and her only side effect was a sore arm.

I was Pfizer, and spent pretty much all of Thorsday in bed, unable to even concentrate enough to read a book!

But then, if your sample size is too small, then you start thinking that tortoises are faster than hares.

I joined a covid monitoring program at the university, so I get to go in and get weekly tests now. Not loving getting the swabs shoved up my nose, which is tickly and painful at the same time and makes my nose feel irritated and runny for a while afterwards. My understanding is that this is the *less* invasive test as well. /shudder

So far I [as expected] have returned negative tests. The university has done a good job of minimizing spread among the students and staff, and they're working closely with the city to get us vaccinated as soon as possible. Of course for me, as a Group 2 member (a rather misleading name, as it's the last group), they aren't projecting to start until May 31. Still, that's not *too* far away.

Chicago overall is doing a lot better now as the second wave, which was never as bad as the first wave, has ebbed. We're at 3% positivity and still decreasing. It was weird to pick up my dinner last night and see people dining inside again! But I'm glad things are loosening, and hopefully going into the summer we'll be in good shape.

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

So I got tested today and my oh my rapid test was glowing positively in an instant. I should have PCR results over the weekend. My symptoms aren’t particularly typical for covid, I have a sore throat, nose, sinus and forehead pressure a runny nose and no/darth vader/horror film voice. I suppose I’ll get fever before I get better as well, and I can only hope it won’t be too bad. 

anyway, moral of the story, yes, you can 100% catch covid while wearing a mask everywhere and only going to the grocery store, drugstore, etc and sanitizing the shit out of your hands. Like I have no idea when or where or how I contracted this shit. Absolutely no clue.

The precautions we take are all about reducing the risks but I guess we can all get unlucky even when we're being really careful.

I hope your symptoms remain mild and it all clears up soon.

"The Health 202: Pharmacies were expecting vaccine shipments. Manufacturing and winter weather delayed them."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/02/26/health-202-pharmacies-were-expecting-vaccine-shipments-manufacturing-winter-weather-delayed-them/

Which may well be a primary reason that the numbers of vaccinated for NYC seem to have hardly budged, or budged at all, in the last 10 days or so.

OTOH, last night, going through the hubs and dashboards that I do searching for an appointment, I actually got a hit for APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE for the very first time at a hospital not that far from here. Of course, by the time I went through what one must do EVERY GODDAMN TIME to request the actual appointment, there are no appointments.  This hadn't changed.

OTOH, I'm hearing from all sorts of people I know they have received their first shot, have appointments for the second, or have, like dear pod partner across the street, receive as of today, the second vaccination.  My bro's aeronautical company, in Illinois, where he is THE engineering poobah, is getting his now, because the company itself has set up a vaccination center in the campus for its poobahs.  Sister and BIL in Denver have gotten their first ones -- they were even contacted by the places and told they had appointments.

So, I'm starting to vaguely, faintly, hope ... sometime in April for us?

But all I hear is what a challenge it is to vaccinate NYC, without anyone actually coming up with real plans to make vaccination easily accessible for all of us.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I don't think the Valneva vaccine is anywhere close to being ready yet, it's still in phase 1/2 trials. It's apparently an inactivated whole virus vaccine though so there's some thought it might work better against variants. I think the UK increased it's order with the idea of using it as a booster in mind. 

Right.  While I was suggesting 1 new vaccine every month, I was stopping at 6.  Of the last 2 (presumed), it is too soon to say.  June/July sounds optimistic though!  But Valneva possibly being efficient against variants partly answers my other question regarding later vaccines.  That would seem to be the gap in the market.

That also explains the EU's additional order for Moderna earlier in February.  It seems to be racing ahead with work on a modified vaccine to take on variants.

They do have millions of doses ready (apparently more than expected) but they aren't operating at full capacity yet.

I was surprised about this statement though.  I thought J&J are going to be far below expectations for Q1?  But they said that they would catch up in Q2?

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/02/26/1020065/one-shot-vaccine-from-johnson-johnson-fda-support-in-the-us/

Now, I believe J&J was always planning to start delivering doses to the EU in April.  I haven't heard whether there was a risk with that.  Although, being behind in the US is not a good sign.  Unless what you heard was referring to European deliveries?

PS:  And Moderna also has a French CEO!  It really is a globalised world.

11 minutes ago, Padraig said:

I was surprised about this statement though.  I thought J&J are going to be far below expectations for Q1?  But they said that they would catch up in Q2?

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/02/26/1020065/one-shot-vaccine-from-johnson-johnson-fda-support-in-the-us/

It's below what the best case targets were but back in January I think they were talking about maybe being single digit millions of doses by the end of February so having 20 million doses ready to go is an improvement. I'm not sure how that will translate to it's orders outside the US.

55 minutes ago, Padraig said:

Now, I believe J&J was always planning to start delivering doses to the EU in April.  I haven't heard whether there was a risk with that.  Although, being behind in the US is not a good sign.  Unless what you heard was referring to European deliveries?

PS:  And Moderna also has a French CEO!  It really is a globalised world.

Pfizer's CEO is a European. In fact, almost every CEO of big US pharma companies I've seen interviewed on CNBC is a European!

Got my first Covid-19 shot about two hours ago. Everything at the Douglas County, Nebraska vaccination site at Creighton University was extremely well organized and friendly. I got the Pfizer and my second shot will be March 20.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that influenza is way down in Europe. Exactly the same thing has happened in the USA and probably everywhere in the world. The one negative about that is that it will be harder for them to predict which strains of influenza should be most targeted by next year's influenza vaccine.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20210225/what-happened-to-flu-season

It's below what the best case targets were but back in January I think they were talking about maybe being single digit millions of doses by the end of February so having 20 million doses ready to go is an improvement. I'm not sure how that will translate to it's orders outside the US.

4m now.  20m by the end of March.  Its not bad!

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Pfizer's CEO is a European. In fact, almost every CEO of big US pharma companies I've seen interviewed on CNBC is a European!

And huh.  The times are ironic.  Should make it easier for the EU to figure out should anything be improved!

Another sign of the times: five empty apartments in our building over these last months.  A new tenant is moving in today.  Though alas, the sort of tenant who calls her mom and tells her, "We can't get the couch in.  It won't fit up the stairs.  So I'm throwing it out.  It only cost $3000 anyway and is two years old."

In the meantime:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/how-public-health-messaging-backfired/618147/

And just for fun, but the humor writer nails it, nails it, nails it, including what I've been saying about this bs of outdoor dining structures all along:

"....Because America is about freedom. The government gave restaurants the freedom to figure out how to stay in business through a pandemic all by themselves. That meant the freedom to have indoor dining outside and call it outdoor dining. Restaurants gave patrons the freedom to contract a deadly disease inside a large plastic bubble. Patrons in turn allowed restaurants the freedom to pretend that any structure they set up was safe. A “don’t ask, don’t smell” policy. It’s been a real hot potato of freedom. Which actually would be a great outdoor side dish...."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/02/ideas-outdoor-dining-structures/618160/

I received an email this morning from Johns Hopkins Medicine (my PCP is part of this system) letting me know I'm in the queue by virtue of what I assume is my BMI logged at my last doctor visit. 

Starting March 1, 2021, the District of Columbia will enter Phase 1C Tier 1 of its COVID-19 vaccination distribution plans. Phase 1C Tier 1 expands eligibility to D.C. residents age 16 and older who have a qualifying medical condition.

You are on our list.

So they will contact me when it's time to schedule an appointment but I'm welcome to register through the DC website and go with whatever schedules me first. The DC website has crashed the past three mornings so...I guess we'll see when any of this might happen for me.

I'm of mixed feelings because yes my weight is a risk factor,  but I pretty much never leave the apartment and would much rather see MC getting his now. Not that I'm going to get an appointment anytime soon. This entire system is broken which is to be expected from the same oversight that imploded when overloaded with unemployment claims.

I am very happy for all of you that have been jabbed to this point!

32 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Just do what the doctor wants and tell your dad what he wants to hear. This is where you can legit lie to your parents, IMO.

The fact the rapid test came up positive is a pretty good indication that the PCR test will also ping positive. 

I’m really sorry to hear this. 
Sometimes it really is luck of the draw. 

I hope you feel better soon!!!

Yep, since then the PCR came back positive as well... I’ll call the GP on Monday and hope it’ll all be fine...

thank you! 

1 minute ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Rest, be well, veggie broth or chicken soup, and TOTALLY lie to your father on your “covid medication”. Please keep us in the loop on how you’re feeling. 

Thank you, Chataya, I really appreciate your kind words. And sure I can’t shut up about anything anyway, I’ll keep you all updated. 

8 hours ago, kairparavel said:

I received an email this morning from Johns Hopkins Medicine (my PCP is part of this system) letting me know I'm in the queue by virtue of what I assume is my BMI logged at my last doctor visit. 

So they will contact me when it's time to schedule an appointment but I'm welcome to register through the DC website and go with whatever schedules me first. The DC website has crashed the past three mornings so...I guess we'll see when any of this might happen for me.

I'm of mixed feelings because yes my weight is a risk factor,  but I pretty much never leave the apartment and would much rather see MC getting his now. Not that I'm going to get an appointment anytime soon. This entire system is broken which is to be expected from the same oversight that imploded when overloaded with unemployment claims.

I am very happy for all of you that have been jabbed to this point!

The obvious solution is to start overfeeding MC

Well this is weird. On the one hand my upper respiratory symptoms are better for now, my hoarse voice and sore throat are mostly cleared up, the sinus and forehead pressure is better as well as the congestion. At the same time I can’t help wondering if my vital organs are being damaged in the background in some way. And when it’s all going to change for the worse. 

All banal stuff like a slightly stiff neck makes me ponder if it’s an incoming aneurism or you know, just having propped my head too high while I slept. If what I sometimes register as pounding heartbeat is a sign of heart failure or just regular immune response and the anxiety of it all. I counted my heart rate and it’s normal per say, yet who can tell when and for what that might change? It really fucks with your mind and as we know I’m not the most rational and level headed person to begin with. 

Anyway, I’m watching clone wars because it’s wholesome, fantastic and juvenile enough to distract my thoughts in a healthy direction. And later I’ll do some light house chores (while I still can), as allegedly it’s not good to lie in bed with this all day. And I suppose that sweeping and wiping down surfaces might be a good distraction as well. oh and I did write a practical instructions “should something happen to me” note into my phone because I’m an idiot that way. Yeah... it’s weird. Do your best to avoid it. 

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Well this is weird. On the one hand my upper respiratory symptoms are better for now, my hoarse voice and sore throat are mostly cleared up, the sinus and forehead pressure is better as well as the congestion. At the same time I can’t help wondering if my vital organs are being damaged in the background in some way. And when it’s all going to change for the worse. 

Don't worry too much, since it's nothing you have any influence on anyway. Just keep in mind that the most severe damage is caused by the ventilation and since you got no severe symptoms, you should be fine. Just focus on getting well soon!

Meanwhile typical Covid news on my end: We opened schools two weeks ago despite infection numbers still notably above the peak level of the first wave. I just got a mail saying that my school is closed next week again because of a Covid outbreak. Go figure.

So far I have no side effects from yesterday's injection except soreness around the injection site which I only feel when I press on that arm. But I have read that side effects are actually more common after the second shot. 

Archived