DCEU: The Hare's Regret

JGP

19 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Well that is also a spoiler too of a sorts I guess even though the director publicly announced it.

Harry Lennix  did an interview with Collider confirming it. This was about a month ago.

Ray Porter as Darkseid got out before it was officially confirmed. Ray actually talks about it kind of freaking him out because he was honoring his NDA when all of a sudden his Twitter followers double over night and people are talking about him being Darkseid. 

That voice. I can feel it in my balls.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:34 AM, Heartofice said:

Sure, but that wasn't the point that was being made. I've already talked about the alternate versions of superman, there is also a version of superman who is a robot. 

Relic's point, as far as I can acertain, is that we shouldn't even notice Supermans race, that we should be able to just ignore it and cast anyone to play his character. Except that it's now pretty clear he wasn't being genuine about it. 

Supes' skin color doesn't matter--except that it does for a lot of people (I'm not saying you) when you create a non-white iteration. For that purpose, I think this is really important as Superman has long been at the top tier of superheroes in pop culture. And aside from this, I'm excited for the new mythos, the new take, and the rumors of Michael B. Jordan (being one my favorite actors)--this is just a winner. Coates being writer makes this even better. 

In a perfect world, if this movie is good, this Superman and Gadot's Wonder Woman and Drogo's Aquaman are forming the basis for a Justice League reboot that works. (If they bring in Martian Manhunter)

50 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

Supes' skin color doesn't matter--except that it does for a lot of people (I'm not saying you) when you create a non-white iteration. For that purpose, I think this is really important as Superman has long been at the top tier of superheroes in pop culture. And aside from this, I'm excited for the new mythos, the new take, and the rumors of Michael B. Jordan (being one my favorite actors)--this is just a winner. Coates being writer makes this even better. 

In a perfect world, if this movie is good, this Superman and Gadot's Wonder Woman and Drogo's Aquaman are forming the basis for a Justice League reboot that works. (If they bring in Martian Manhunter)

From what I can tell this won't be clark kent superman which I think should keep the "purists" happy as well. A bit like with Miles Morales Spider-man. It also lets them play around with the character a bit more and not be too constrained by Kent's background as farmboy to journalist. 

23 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Harry Lennix  did an interview with Collider confirming it. This was about a month ago.

Ray Porter as Darkseid got out before it was officially confirmed. Ray actually talks about it kind of freaking him out because he was honoring his NDA when all of a sudden his Twitter followers double over night and people are talking about him being Darkseid. 

That voice. I can feel it in my balls.

I get the impression this will be a lot of fuss over what will be a minimal part of the film unless a hell of a lot was cut/added. I'm still really curious to see what this looks like. I've a feeling it will be bad but in a completely different way to the Whedon version. I don't think I can quite bring myself to watch that version again in order to compare the two fully though.

7 minutes ago, red snow said:

I get the impression this will be a lot of fuss over what will be a minimal part of the film unless a hell of a lot was cut/added.

I don't think Darkseid will have a huge part coz if he did they'd just have used him and not Steppenwolf, his worst henchperson, but in fairness this film is two hours longer than the original and estimates for how much of the theatrical cut was Whedon reshoot material seem to be between 70 and 90 percent. Which if true means the 240 minute film will have between 12 and about 40 minutes of scenes we've seen before.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I don't think Darkseid will have a huge part coz if he did they'd just have used him and not Steppenwolf, his worst henchperson, but in fairness this film is two hours longer than the original and estimates for how much of the theatrical cut was Whedon reshoot material seem to be between 70 and 90 percent. Which if true means the 240 minute film will have between 12 and about 40 minutes of scenes we've seen before.

I'm wondering if they count stuff that was used in the whedon version but changed.  Like the Superman resurrection scene where they all try and calm him down/fight him was filmed by Snyder but it was filmed at night and Whedon changed it to day. I do hope that scene stays in as the Flash recognizing Superman is as fast as he is was really well done.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I remember Darkseid being revealed as having a cameo before Snyder was removed. It was always framed as he would be in the movie--briefly--to setup the bigger conflict over the course of a trilogy or something. 

Still, not interested in this version of JL at all. I hope this finally puts Snyderverse to rest.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

I get the impression this will be a lot of fuss over what will be a minimal part of the film unless a hell of a lot was cut/added. I'm still really curious to see what this looks like. I've a feeling it will be bad but in a completely different way to the Whedon version. I don't think I can quite bring myself to watch that version again in order to compare the two fully though.

2017's "JL" was the last time I paid for a movie ticket for a CBM. That was the measure of my disappointment. Not great. Not terrible exactly, But a conscious attempt at mimicking the MCU and totally lacking ambition. 

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Darkseid's screen time will likely be short but consequential. We know he's there for the pre-history battle and that scene is somewhat longer than what was shown in 2017.

According to the NY Times article from a while back, Whedon's rewrites totaled approximately 80 script pages. The rule of thumb is (I think) one minute of screen time per page. So that would be 80 out of 120 minutes. But who can say? 

From what I know, reshoots definitely include:

• The Superman and Batman prologues.
  • Anything involving the Russian Family.
  • Anything involving Cavill's messed up face.
  • Anything where Barry Allen appears to have brain damage.
  • All Ray fisher scenes with the exception of the GCPD rooftop scene.
  • "I've only ever pushed people and ran away", "Do you bleed?", "I don't... not... like you", and god knows what else. Jesus.
  • The post credit race scene. I think the Luthor-Deathstroke scene happens but not as a post credit scene and it doesn't go the same way. That may be a scene where Luthor reveals Batman's identity to Deathstroke. 
  • The Wonder Woman boob-plant gag that was recycled from Age of Ultron. 

Editing can completely change the film regardless of where the footage came from. I have no idea who was responsible for that. Some of the stuff that was originally shot was probably re-purposed in different ways.

Fabian Wagner (the original DP) was not there for re-shoots so Whedon used his guy. Also, Tom Hulkenborg was let go in favor of Danny Elfman, who had to score the film in 3 months. 'Nothing but respect for Elfman, but his score did nothing for that film.

Interestingly, Hulkenborg recently revealed the work he did on JL got used in other projects; probably Alita: Battle Angel and whatever else he's been working on since. It represented a year's work so it's not like he's going to throw it out.  When this project came back, He enthusiastically agreed to score portions of the film again, thus avoiding any rights issues. 

I'm always curious about different versions of movies and this is a pretty unique case. The problem is I'd want to re-watch the original version first because I don't remember it very well. At that point we're talking about like 6 hours of a movie I didn't particularly like. 

13 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Tom Hulkenborg

That may be the best last name I've ever heard. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I'm always curious about different versions of movies and this is a pretty unique case. The problem is I'd want to re-watch the original version first because I don't remember it very well. At that point we're talking about like 6 hours of a movie I didn't particularly like. 

Yeah that's my take. Justice League was a snoozefest for me and I would never bother with a rewatch but I am fascinated by the idea of all of this extra footage and change in editing that might make it a different viewing experience.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

That may be the best last name I've ever heard. 

It's one letter out, his surname is Holkenborg which makes him sound a bit less like a Marvel/Star Trek crossover.

Apparently his full name is Antonius B. Holkenborg, which I think is an excellent name.

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

Yeah that's my take. Justice League was a snoozefest for me and I would never bother with a rewatch but I am fascinated by the idea of all of this extra footage and change in editing that might make it a different viewing experience.

There's probably going to be a lot of us just watching out of morbid curiosity.

Zak Penn has seen it in IMAX and has been tweeting some very complimentary things. Regardless of his views of the film, he may have gotten additional enjoyment at the opportunity to subtly throw shade at Joss Whedon. They have a bit of a history.

Penn wrote the early drafts of the script for the first Avengers movie. When Whedon joined the project he claimed he tossed everything out and started from scratch, thus claiming sole writing credit. Penn fought it; ultimately taking it to the guild for arbitration and they ruled in Penn's favor. At some point in all this, Joss also made public statements slamming Penn's drafts that were published in the press. 

21 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Alternate takes of existing scenes too. To the extent Whedon reshot existing scenes that were used in the final film is speculation.  There are definitely a couple of scenes where Affleck appears to gain or lose weight between shots. At least one of the Iceland scenes has background characters that change between shots.

20 hours ago, williamjm said:

It's one letter out, his surname is Holkenborg which makes him sound a bit less like a Marvel/Star Trek crossover.

Apparently his full name is Antonius B. Holkenborg, which I think is an excellent name.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't "Hulkenberg" but I was too lazy to check it. Now I'm really curious what the "B" stands for.

I suddenly feel the need to watch Fury Road.

I haven’t even seen all of Justice League yet, and I can tell this looks to be a very different movie.

But Jesus that looks ugly, I don’t miss the days when all movies were essentially pitch black monochrome layered with a turd brown filter and occasional red ‘splosions. I don’t think I could watch this without getting a headache 

Far more Darkseid footage than I expected. I was surprised by the Omega beams. I wonder how much of it was filmed during the original production and cut from the final theatrical version given Darkseid is the Justice League's archenemy and should have boosted ticket sales. I'll still expect less than 3 minutes of Darkseid total in the final screentime but I do now wonder...

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Far more Darkseid footage than I expected. I was surprised by the Omega beams. I wonder how much of it was filmed during the original production and cut from the final theatrical version given Darkseid is the Justice League's archenemy and should have boosted ticket sales. I'll still expect less than 3 minutes of Darkseid total in the final screentime but I do now wonder...

All of the Darkseid scenes and ADR were done during principal photography back in 2016. Same for Desaad. At what point they decided to substitute Steppenwolf in the "History Lesson" is anyone's guess.

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

All of the Darkseid scenes and ADR were done during principal photography back in 2016. Same for Desaad. At what point they decided to substitute Steppenwolf in the "History Lesson" is anyone's guess.

Ahh.. I was thinking it might just be the "History Lesson."

Archived