DCEU: The Hare's Regret

JGP

34 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Somehow this did not really clear anything up. Still curious what "mudding" means. 

I'm not sure what G+G or the fandom menace are but I don't think Carrano needed any help getting herself fired. 

Thank god it’s not just me, I didn’t follow that at all.

Yeah I thought "One version is that he basically denounced them on that stream and the G+G crowd is definitely not happy about it" was a moderately clear explanation.  The urban dictionary definition is a lot more fun though.

57 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Somehow this did not really clear anything up. Still curious what "mudding" means. 

I'm not sure what G+G or the fandom menace are but I don't think Carrano needed any help getting herself fired. 

"Ruined". Get your minds out of the gutter. :smug:

Edit: I'm only moderately familiar with them but they are surprisingly big. Outrage gets clicks.

I think there was an article in the Daily Beast that featured some of them a week or two ago. 

6 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

It’s an improvement over the first, but only marginally.

DC still lost in the woods.

Both of these things might still be true but they're not to do with one another. This isn't gonna affect the future direction of the DCU (unless it's a ridiculous success then I guess it might) and was never expected to, any success or failure of future DCEU films won't have anything to do with this.

I think it was murdered, not mudded. I've seen a few tweets approving of Snyder's interview where they said he "murdered" them on their own channel, which was something to behold.

I probably won't be watching this because Man of Steel was very comfortably one of the very worst films I've ever seen in my entire life and apparently Batman v Superman was somehow even worse, so I'm not particularly motivated to put the legwork in to get au fait with the plot to see this film. I was keen on seeing Wonder Woman but then the reception to the sequel killed my interest in that.

I have been enjoying the Zack Snyder interviews - which seem like excessive trolling - which indicate that the two-part Justice League sequel was going to be a massive ripoff of Infinity War and Endgame. If he does want to reunite with WB to make more DC movies, he doesn't seen to be going the right way about it.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think it was murdered, not mudded. I've seen a few tweets approving of Snyder's interview where they said he "murdered" them on their own channel, which was something to behold.

I probably won't be watching this because Man of Steel was very comfortably one of the very worst films I've ever seen in my entire life and apparently Batman v Superman was somehow even worse, so I'm not particularly motivated to put the legwork in to get au fait with the plot to see this film. I was keen on seeing Wonder Woman but then the reception to the sequel killed my interest in that.

I have been enjoying the Zack Snyder interviews - which seem like excessive trolling - which indicate that the two-part Justice League sequel was going to be a massive ripoff of Infinity War and Endgame. If he does want to reunite with WB to make more DC movies, he doesn't seen to be going the right way about it.

"Ripoff" is difficult to define because ZSJL was supposed be released in 2017 and the 5 primary film arc (MoS to JL3) was plotted out before that. The Snyderverse time travel plot device was established in 2015 with BvS. Then again, Endgame exists.

Another hour in: boy, the music choices are actively bad. Aquaman gets introduced again for some reason, then we get some sort of dolorous song as he slow-mos into the sea (there's a lot of slow-mo). I did like the CG and Dafoe scene beneath the sea. Barry fondling the hair of some complete stranger before finishing saving her was... uhm, that was a thing. Unfortunately for The Flash, Bryan Singer has kind of done most of the cool stuff you can do with a speedster and slowed time, so now it feels passe. 

Holy exposition dump from Wonder Woman. 

Victor/Cyborg's story would have made sense as a standalone story. Ditto Barry/The Flash. The big mistake DC made was creating a Justice League show without all the primary characters already introduced, and then the second mistake is that Zack Snyder tried to give each of the new guys significant story introductions in a film that's going to be inevitably dominated by the Big Three that people already know. Like, they should have at least done some sort of "Not-the-Teen-Titans" where Cyborg, The Flash, and Aquaman are introduced and team up, and then a kicker with Batman and Wonder Woman recruiting them. 

I can definitely see why this mess was unsalvageable at a two hour run time, and why it's so ponderous and bloated. As a Twitter wag remarked, calling it the "Snyder Cut" would be a misnomer, because it feels like he cut precisely nothing.

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Man, and I thought The Hobbit was long.

I should just be thankful that Snyder didn't direct that, and that the stupid full-length meal scene didn't have an extra half hour of slow-mo fork delivery shots.

After Del Toro quit, Jackson was reportedly very reluctant to commit to directing The Hobbit so Warner Brothers and MGM showed up a shortlist of other directors they were considering, including names like Snyder and Brett Ratner, which apparently so horrified Jackson that he agreed to direct.

Maybe an urban legend and probably wouldn't have happened - Snyder was I think already contracted to WB to make Man of Steel around 2010-11 anyway - but amusing.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

I'd honestly be shocked if there are any deleted scenes from this version of the film.

I bet if you took out the slow-mo and removed or shortened the true pointless things like the woman singing or Diana crafting a torch you could trim at least 45 minutes. If you're going to use slow-motion to depict super-speed you probably shouldn't also use it for dramatic effect randomly throughout the film.

Are we doing spoiler tags? I somehow suspect anyone who cares has seen it but anyway I'm maybe halfway through and so confused by a new scene

Martha Kent just turned into DC's version of The Vision and then into the military guy from Man of Steel. Huh? 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

Martha Kent just turned into DC's version of The Vision and then into the military guy from Man of Steel. Huh? 

Spoiler

It's J'onn, the Martian Manhunter. I like that he got introduced, but despised the design. 

Finished it. There is no way that the film Snyder envisioned would have been a good film, because the very premise of introducing three major characters in this film, plus the entirety of the plot, was just not workable. He couldn't make it work in 4 hours, he sure the hell couldn't make it work in 2, and indeed no one could. Two separate films, one to introduce the characters and then one to be Justice League, sure. One film, no.

I'd like to see a fan edit where every scene an editor touches to trim it out of a belief that Snyder's is too long has to be replaced by the Whedon version (if shorter) -- stuff like the bank robbery, the Amazon sequence, the pacing of the Wonder Woman info dump about the past which greatly cut down all the slow-mo and 'Here we are looking brave and noble before we fight' moments, and so on -- to see what that feels like.  You can definitely cut the entire epilogue, including the unnecessary "Knightmare" stuff, and just leave the heroes triumphant after defeating Steppenwolf and the Parademons. That's like half an hour you can drop. But I'm pretty sure there's at least 30 more minutes that can be trimmed off of it without really missing a beat.

What did people say of the theatrical cut's score? What I've heard of it from clips strikes me as better than just about everything I hear in this version. The only Junkie XL score I've enjoyed is Mad Max: Fury Road, so not a real surprise.

Spoiler

Finally, Silas Stone's death was bullshit. Dude had a remote control, no damned reason he had to be inside the box. So dumb.

ETA: I see HBO Nordic also has the Whedon theatrical cut. I may go and watch that as well and see how it feels now that I've seen Snyder's bloated behemoth.

13 minutes ago, Ran said:
  Hide contents

Finally, Silas Stone's death was bullshit. Dude had a remote control, no damned reason he had to be inside the box. So dumb.

Spoiler

There's a ton of unnecessary stuff throughout the film though, even beyond the stuff already mentioned - the dumb Silas suicide bit takes an age, and our heroes stand about dumbly for 30 seconds plus staring at something for effect a number of times too. Like the bit where they recover Clark's body and all pose at the back of the van. Fucking awful.

I think the most telling thing about this version of the film is the aspect ratio. Even in the before-fore times, what percentage of the audience viewed a film at an IMAX screen? He's just made this for himself, with no consideration at all for the audience.

2 hours ago, JEORDHl said:
  Hide contents

It's J'onn, the Martian Manhunter. I like that he got introduced, but despised the design. 

I don't know who that is, but in Man of Steel he seems like just a normal military guy. It seems a little weird that he was there for the Superman vs. Zod stuff and just watched. I hated "Oh by the way some have called me Martian Manhunter" at the end. So forced.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

You can definitely cut the entire epilogue, including the unnecessary "Knightmare" stuff

After they killed Steppenwolf I remembered the Joker was supposed to be in the movie and was very confused how they were going to justify that. Apparently that sequence at the end was most of the new footage that was shot after this was greenlit. Which is odd because it feels like a teaser for something that as far as we know isn't happening. I had the impression Affleck and Cavill had moved on.

That said, I'd go see a movie about that world. If only to see how after Lois's death Darksied somehow becomes superman's shoulder to cry on and BFF. And the justification for bringing the Joker along. What does he bring to the table, really?

It's weird that Snyder has shown us that world in three dreams/premonitions across two movies. If he was going to make a movie about those events he's already spoiled a lot of it.  

Another weird quirk of how things turned out is that they introduce not-deadpool just before bringing him back as a good guy. We never even see him be a bad guy. 

Archived