DCEU: The Hare's Regret

JGP

Just now, Comrade Jace, Leftist said:

So im getting the impression Joker is barely in this piece of shit?

He's in the "Knightmare" dream sequence at the end, that lasts like.. I don't know, two-three minutes.

I saw someone praising Snyder's design of the character online, and wondered if I'd stepped into Bizzaro World.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I don't fully understand what they're doing. Are they basically doing the infinite earths, multiverse thing, so that they can just have the Reeves Batman be "the" Batman when they want/need? Though I doubt Robert Pattinson is on board with doing a bunch of franchise films.

Honestly, I think they just saw that Joker was successful and thought “hey, maybe standalones are where the money is!” That seems to be the level of logic and forethought DC is working with.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

I've read somewhere that they're going to do Flash Point, which is a great story arc for the Flash, in which he goes back in time to save his mother when he was a child and butterfly effects the entire universe. My guess is Robert Pattinson, will be the Batman of the new timeline created from Flashpoint.

See, I’ve got nothing at all against Flashpoint as a storyline for The Flash. But it breaks my immersion somewhat that it’s always used as a fix-all for any inconveniences there are, out of universe. The Arrowverse used it to move Supergirl from CBS to CW, and the comics almost always use it to fix stuff (not that I’m an expert, just from what I’ve read). It’s why I’m nervous about the multiverse in the MCU, it’s too tempting to use it to fix the creators problems and not the characters problems. 

Pretty much without seeing a single DC movie, I could’ve said “if you resort to Flashpoint within 5 years of kicking off your universe, you’ve probably fucked it up” (I’m considering BvS as the true start point of their attempt at a universe, and Flashpoint has been discussed since pretty much JL came out the year after).

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Snyder fanboyism really is like low stakes QAnon. This man who sees the world though turd-tinted glasses is going to save Cin-eh-MA!

Tell me about it. There are people on Facebook calling this a completely different film and I’m like WTF. The plot is identical, it’s drawn out over 4 hours, but all the story beats are the same. The ending is the only major difference to the core story.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Honestly, I think they just saw that Joker was successful and thought “hey, maybe standalones are where the money is!” That seems to be the level of logic and forethought DC is working with.

See, I’ve got nothing at all against Flashpoint as a storyline for The Flash. But it breaks my immersion somewhat that it’s always used as a fix-all for any inconveniences there are, out of universe. The Arrowverse used it to move Supergirl from CBS to CW, and the comics almost always use it to fix stuff (not that I’m an expert, just from what I’ve read). It’s why I’m nervous about the multiverse in the MCU, it’s too tempting to use it to fix the creators problems and not the characters problems. 

Pretty much without seeing a single DC movie, I could’ve said “if you resort to Flashpoint within 5 years of kicking off your universe, you’ve probably fucked it up” (I’m considering BvS as the true start point of their attempt at a universe, and Flashpoint has been discussed since pretty much JL came out the year after).

Flashpoint was nothing to do with Supergirl. It was Crisis on Infinite Earths that merged Supergirl Earth 38(?) with Earth 1.

Watched the first half tonight. Holy shit, what a turkey. The script is shit. The acting is worse. The CG is the usual shitty DC half-assed bollocks. And it is soooooooo fucking grim and boring. Snyder has finally disappeared up his own bunghole.

14 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Flashpoint was nothing to do with Supergirl. It was Crisis on Infinite Earths that merged Supergirl Earth 38(?) with Earth 1.

Yup. While they did a mild version of Flashpoint on the Arrowverse Flash, it's impact wasn't felt on Supergirl...on Arrow, yes.  The moving of Supergirl from CBS to WB was not part of any actual storyline.  It existed as a part of the multiverse, sure, but they used their eventual Crisis story to bring the shows onto one earth.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yup. While they did a mild version of Flashpoint on the Arrowverse Flash, it's impact wasn't felt on Supergirl...on Arrow, yes.  The moving of Supergirl from CBS to WB was not part of any actual storyline.  It existed as a part of the multiverse, sure, but they used their eventual Crisis story to bring the shows onto one earth.

Ah I had that mixed up. But either way, when DC get to Flashpoint (if the whole thing hasn’t just collapsed by then) I suspect a strong correlation between surviving characters and box office performance.

I went in thinking I wouldn't, but my interest was piqued when a reviewer for NRK, basically Norway's version of the BBC, gave it a 6/6 rating. Must be tough times for movie reviewers these days, he must have had a nervous breakdown at some point, the poor dear.

On 3/21/2021 at 12:28 PM, sifth said:

Tell me about it. There are people on Facebook calling this a completely different film and I’m like WTF. The plot is identical, it’s drawn out over 4 hours, but all the story beats are the same. The ending is the only major difference to the core story.

What it did do was more obviously Thanos-ise the movie, with Darkseid actually put in appearances. The big difference being Thanos has delusions of being an eco-warrior, for the good of all. No such conceit with Darkseid.

I liked the smaller changes, like Cyborg seeing the resurrection of Superman as maybe not such a good idea after all but wires being crossed at that last moment and Flash thinking "no" was "go". I found myself able to sit through the entire thing and liking it more than the first version. The Joker bit was a waste of time. I mean how the heck is Joker going to help with Superman in that scenario. He's just going to annoy the crap out of Batman and knock him off his game. I did not miss the foot race at the end being excluded.

On 3/22/2021 at 6:58 AM, lacuna said:

I went in thinking I wouldn't, but my interest was piqued when a reviewer for NRK, basically Norway's version of the BBC, gave it a 6/6 rating. Must be tough times for movie reviewers these days, he must have had a nervous breakdown at some point, the poor dear.

Well, anyone using a 6-point rating system has issues to start with.

I like all of the cast of Justice League, and if the Snyder cut means they get to come back for another turn I say the Snyder cut was a necessary second chance for the movie. But I think Affleck is done with the DCEU, since it seems too much of the public mood is dead against him continuing. I won't suggest he should pop across to the MCU and be cast as Reed Richards, since that would ruin the Fantastic 4 before the first scene is written in the eyes of too many people, but I would laugh so hard if he was. And I would be totally fine with it.

Unfortunately, the idea of Affleck as Reed Richards, the smartest man in the Marvel universe, immediately made me think of his role in Good Will Hunting:

Mr. Fantastic: So this is a Latverian bar, huh? I thought there'd be equations and shit on the wall.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:I won't suggest he should pop across to the MCU and be cast as Reed Richards, since that would ruin the Fantastic 4 before the first scene is written in the eyes of too many people, but I would laugh so hard if he was. And I would be totally fine with it.

Nah... when they hit the full on multiverse, he just needs to be Daredevil.  :lol: 

(Messed up that quote box... ah well...)

Well I haven’t seen the Holy Snyder Cut, but I’m really surprised at what seems to be the consensus around here, considering that all the ads on my Facebook feed are saying it’s easily the single greatest movie ever made.

Setting aside the Snyder cut for a bit, I'm never gonna see the whole of WW84 but I watched a couple of the action scenes on youtube out of interest and holy shit what happened? The first one had, overly-CGI'd finale aside, some excellent action made by someone clearly understanding what they're doing in choreography, visual setup/blocking/framing, and narrative beats and progression within the action, and this one seems to have forgotten every single one of those lessons.

Par for the course, isn't it? Both versions of Justice League are chock full of pointless combat dancing where no one is ever in danger of getting hurt, outside of the handful of Amazons at the beginning and the last few minutes once Superman cuts loose. (Not including the cannon fodder mosquito guys, of course.)

Archived