DCEU: The Hare's Regret

JGP

7 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

At this point, I feel like I'm dumping bloody bait in the water to rile y'all up, but this was too good to ignore. In the article below you can find some more details by Snyder himself on his plans for the rest of the Snyderverse. Big trigger warner here, but I think a lot of you will freak out just a little :P 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/mar/26/zack-snyder-cut-justice-league-dc-batman-superman-wonder-woman#comment-148295714

Probably not what you meant but I love this bit:

Snyder also said that Superman and Lois Lane’s son, teased in Justice League with the suggestion that Lois is pregnant, would have eventually taken up the mantle of the new Batman. “Twenty years later, on the anniversary of [Batman’s] death, they take young Bruce Kent down to the Batcave and they say, ‘Your Uncle Bruce would’ve been proud if you did this.’”

Yes let's guilt trip our son into taking up the mantle of batman. 

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Probably not what you meant but I love this bit:

Yes let's guilt trip our son into taking up the mantle of batman. 

I actually thought that would set things off yes :D It sounds like such a horrible idea even in my eyes XD

The discussions about the Superman & Lois show caused me to look it up and watch the episodes up until now. I must admit I was already very much a fan of Tyler Hoechlin's take on Superman in Supergirl. Certainly the writing was terrible and I was regularly miffed that the show shit on him in order to make Kara look better (and indeed I found her constant disparaging remarks about him very irrititating), but Hoechlin does manage to portray a Clark that is just so extremely human. Warm, dorky, always super supportive.

Of course it all depends on how much they can keep the CW bullshit out of the scripts. I'm a bit afraid they think they are now free to dump nonsensical relationship drama into the story of the kids, but at least that means Lois and Clark are free of it and family parts are the core of the story so far. And the low number of episodes is helping to keep things tight at least.

It's remarkable that Gunn seems to have found a way to make Guardians of the Galaxy for DC. I mean, everything about that trailer evokes GotG 2 to my mind...from the dialog to the music to the action...

It's also remarkable that I think Gunn did some pretty nice things with the two GotG movies, yet I still have zero interest in watching them.  And this trailer made me feel the same way.  Will I watch it? Eventually. Once. But meh.

Gunn has a gonzo sensibility that looks like it'll work well for this. I'm confused as to the era it takes place in -- certain things read 1970s, and I don't know if that's just a wink or if they're somehow back in time?

Good to see Gunn teaming up with Fillion again:

Back to the Snyder cut...

Was listening to a podcast collaboration between the How Did This Get Made? folks (incluing Jason Mantzoukas) and the Blank Check guys who basically seem to have "liked" this version, at least compared to the theatrical. But one observation made early on was interesting in light of a recent interview, namely that the fact WB gave in to #ReleaseTheSnyderCut fandom -- for their own purely cynical reasons related to driving HBO Max subscriptions -- sets a dangerous precedent where fans will think they can just demand crazy things. Said recent interview, in which Ann Sarnoff, CEO of WB, had her explicitly shutting the door to future Snyder films... and then there was a question that, to me, was odd, asking her if there'd be an Ayer extended cut of Suicide Squad, to which she said very firmly, "No".

What I did not realize, but was mentioned in the podcast, was that David Ayer had jumped on the bandwagon and tried to start a "grass roots" #ReleaseTheAyerCut campaign as well. I don't think WB understand they maybe let the genie out of the bottle and there's no going back. They may not give in to Ayer, who doesn't have the same cultish devotion Snyder has inspired, but it's only a matter of time that they start getting targeted by toxic fans trying to harrass them into producing other stuff they want to see, whether it's a return to grimdark Snyderverse or something else.

ETA: LOL, there's a #RestoreTheSnyderVerse hash tag that has gone "viral" which Snyder is highlighting on Twitter while doing a version of, "Gosh darn, wow, guys, thanks so much, where did this come from, it's not like I've taken every single opportunity to harp on my plans for the future of MY universe, golly gee."

I hope WB sticks to its guns and not let itself be hostage to Snyder again. How they must be kicking themselves that they turned to him in the first place.

Watching the trailer again, I do feel like it gives away that some of the new Suicide Squad are very clearly cannon fodder (Flula Borg's javelin is constantly in Harley's hands, Michael Rooker vanishes shortly after we see him in costume, and so on).

HBO Nordic is now airing Wonder Woman 1984, so decided to check it out. More than half way through, and other than the unnecessary Themiscyra sequence and the cringe-worthy opening sequence (which I know is intended as a kind of loving nod to the goofy charms of the 70s Wonder Woman TV show and general 80s bubble-gum comedic action movies, but comes off as swinging the pendulum too far in that direction), I actually have liked most of it well enough. Gadot is right in her comfort zone as an actress, Wiig is good, Pedro Pascal is terrific as Max Lord, Pine is charming. I can see how the narrative threads may be a bit too untethered from one another, though, which suggests the third act may be weak.

The action sequence in the desert, with not a little Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark vibe, is not well-choreographed and edited, OTOH. It was quite confusing, and I'm not sure it was intended. I suspect it may be Jenkin's weak point.

I'm an enormous fan of the Ostrander run of Suicide Squad, to the point where I can quote from it at length, and (unlike the Ayer version) this feels like it has a lot of that DNA, even if, ironically, it's using fewer of the same characters. So I'm cautiously optimistic. But that 'cautiously' is because I do see some potential problems.

It's a very big cast, and I'm sure at least some of them die off quickly (Weasel, Javelin, Blackguard, and Savant are all in the trailer only briefly and I think TDK isn't there at all), it's still a lot to balance. Bloodsport seems to be the first movie's Deadshot right down to being motivated by his daughter, which is both ironic because Deadshot in the first movie isn't comics Deadshot at all, and inevitable because Elba was supposed to be replacing Will Smith as Deadshot. Still, you'd think they could make some effort to differentiate them. It's not a great indicator of effort being put into the script. And damnit, Joel Kinniman, I know you got shafted in the first movie, but if your Rick Flag is exchanging quips with Harley Quinn, that's not Rick Flag! He's the ultimate straight man. It's his whole thing: being way too intense is his defining trait. Comedy is definitely part of the Suicide Squad DNA, but I worry that there's going to be too much of that.

ps I'm delighted the Belle Reve staff are in this, but if they screw up Flo I will hunt Gunn down.

@mormont

Nathan Fillion's TDK is in the first group shot in front of the flag, and also shown drinking a Mr. Pibb softdrink in what looks like around the same shot. But then he does vanish, yeah.

Finished Wonder Woman 1984. It was, as I suspected, a bit of a mess for the end. I appreciated that Jenkin's Wonder Woman is nothing like the murderous figure Zack Snyder pushes -- yes, Diana is perfectly capable of killing at necessity, but it's at necessity. Its thematic messaging was fairly simplistic and handled in a kind of saccharine way, and there were a lot of head scratchers where things were clearly being hand-waved (like Diana suddenly being able to hear the broadcast while flying through the sky, or why he was still broadcasting despite the camera being destroyed), but it never took itself too seriously and seems to have to set out to tell a deliberately lighter story. It was  was fine, outside of the start I didn't care for.

ETA: Am I completely crazy or from the point Barbara beats her Wonder Woman up to let Max escape, through to when she renounces her wish, did they do something to make Gal Gadot look a little less beautiful? I could swear her face looks just a little rounder, lines around her eyes just a little deeper, etc. during that part of the film, that she was losing all her divinity, hence not just powers but also the divine beauty and/or eternal youth or some such.

I've searched high and low and can find no evidence of this being discussed anywhere in terms of digital or practical makeup.

After Harley somehow gets sidetracked in a way that might compromise their mission, Peacemaker (John Cena), Polka-Dot Man (David Dastmalchian), Thinker (Peter Capaldi), King Shark (Steve Agee and Sylvester Stallone), and Bloodsport (Idris Elba) switch up their plans a bit to retrieve their colleague. What’s worth noting here is that it’s established that Bloodsport’s meant to take point on one of the teams being overseen by Waller, while another consisting of Javelin (Flula Borg), Captain Boomerang (Jai Courtney) Blackguard (Pete Davidson), Monga (Mayling Ng), Weasel (Sean Gunn), T.D.K. (Nathan Fillion), and Savant (Michael Rooker) are working on something else.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/breaking-down-the-suicide-squads-madcap-bloody-trailer-1846562087

I wonder if that entire second team just gets slaughtered in the opening minutes. 

Unlikely, if only because I can't see Boomer getting offed in any SS adaptation.

I'd be here for a situation where everyone else on that team gets killed because Boomer either screws up, abandons them or sells them out, though,

Archived