DCEU: The Hare's Regret

JGP

The only thing about the DuVernay New Gods that surprised me is that they had her on it at all after the bomb that was A Wrinkle in Time.

I see a thread of ulterior motive in greenlighting Zack Snyder's Justice League, though...

New Gods, which would have been a sprawling tale, was complicated by the fact that its villain, Darkseid, just appeared as a major foil in Zack Snyder's Justice League and there was a desire to have space between the latter and any new appearances.

Nice how that dovetails, eh? When life hands you lemons, make lemonade, I guess. 

They should consider trying to get Gina Prince-Bythewood to direct something for them. I'd like to see something from the supernatural side of DC, like Doctor Fate or The Spectre, brought to the screen.

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

Nice how that dovetails, eh? When life hands you lemons, make lemonade, I guess. 

They should consider trying to get Gina Prince-Bythewood to direct something for them. I'd like to see something from the supernatural side of DC, like Doctor Fate or The Spectre, brought to the screen.

[inside voice] Dr Fate was recently cast [Pierce Brosnan] and is going to be in Black Adam, apparently. 

re: DuVernay, she's had some misses, sure, but I appreciate most of what she's brought. I was really looking forward to her helming New Gods, but off Tom King's script I suppose I can see the Darkseid distance the execs may want? I don't know. Damn shame, imo. 

3 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

[inside voice] Dr Fate was recently cast [Pierce Brosnan] and is going to be in Black Adam, apparently. 

re: DuVernay, she's had some misses, sure, but I appreciate most of what she's brought. I was really looking forward to her helming New Gods, but off Tom King's script I suppose I can see the Darkseid distance the execs may want? I don't know. Damn shame, imo. 

Re: DuVernay; Shocked but not surprised. Snyder Cut or no, I've been skeptical of this for a while. That said, I was looking forward to it.

They announced her as director almost 3 years ago. They still don't have a script and I've heard nothing about casting. Plus she's done half a dozen other projects in the mean time. In contrast, Disney announced Eternals around the same time and that's ready to go. That film that would have been released by now if not for Covid. No matter how good New Gods was, Disney would have still gotten there first.

In a similar vein, WB green-lit WW 3 almost immediately after the release. When exactly is that going to happen? Patti Jenkins is going to be up to her armpits in Star Wars: Rogue Squadron at least until the end of 2023, and, she and Gadot have the Cleopatra project in development. 

Wan's Trench film getting the axe is more surprising. 

Both are Hamada projects.

Rumor has it that The Rock is pushing hard to have his Black Adam film connect to the Snyder-verse. Take that for what it's worth. 

So I did finally end up watching Zach Snyder's Momentous Waste of Time last night cuz I couldn't sleep.  Not much to add that hasn't already been said, but just...yeah.  Between the absurd amount of pointless slo-mo, weird off-putting music, obsessive framing, and generally obnoxious self-importance, it was like if Wes Anderson wanted to torture people.

12 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

I can't keep up with all these films, man.

Wonder which version of Dr. Fate he's playing... Ah, Kent Nelson. The original, I guess.

That Rock rumor is such obvious bullshit. "Oh, he loved Jeremy Irons as Alfred, I guess that means he'll fight DC over the whole SnyderVerse!"

18 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Rumor has it that The Rock is pushing hard to have his Black Adam film connect to the Snyder-verse. Take that for what it's worth. 

Isn't the Snyder-verse just what used to be called the "DCEU" (I never understood why it was extended.) Like everything but Joker + the upcoming Matt Reeves Batman? 

I understand the fans want him to be allowed to make his Justice League sequels and that's what #restorethesnyderverse is about. But my understanding is most of the DC movies still take place in that universe. So I'd assume The Rock just wants his movie in that continuity along with Shazaam instead of being it's own think like Joker or the potential start of a new universe like The Batman.  

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

Isn't the Snyder-verse just what used to be called the "DCEU" (I never understood why it was extended.) Like everything but Joker + the upcoming Matt Reeves Batman? 

I understand the fans want him to be allowed to make his Justice League sequels and that's what #restorethesnyderverse is about. But my understanding is most of the DC movies still take place in that universe. So I'd assume The Rock just wants his movie in that continuity along with Shazaam instead of being it's own think like Joker or the potential start of a new universe like The Batman.  

The #restorethesynderverse stuff, and these rumors floating around it, are basically "Let Zack Snyder control DC's cinematic universe again". So this Rock rumor is about Snyder fanatics wanting to believe that the Rock is in their corner, worshipping at the altar of Snyder.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

The #restorethesynderverse stuff, and these rumors floating around it, are basically "Let Zack Snyder control DC's cinematic universe again". So this Rock rumor is about Snyder fanatics wanting to believe that the Rock is in their corner, worshipping at the altar of Snyder.

Right, but if the rumor is based on anything, that is to say not completely made up like so many of them are, I'm guessing all The Rock meant was he wanted to be in the main DCEU with Shaazam (which makes sense) and not part of whatever their plan is going forward. Which I imagine will depend on how The Batman and its companion HBO max Gotham PD show are received vs the reception of Suicide Squad and its companion Peacemaker show.

Obviously I haven't seen The Batman but there may be room to decide "this is a younger version of Ben Affleck's character" and just leave Joker out there alone. They could then continue their established universe without Snyder. 

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I could track down the quotes, but suffice to say that several people have been on record saying ZSJL is not "canon". There's also the "story telling cut-de-sac" quote from the recent Hamada interview a while back. But at the same time they have this whole multiverse concept that they seem to embrace depending on the day.

Then, as you say, they have stand alone films like Joker and Matt Reeves Batman, which will probably be a trilogy. I'm firmly convinced WW84 is an else world-story. It's too baffling and weird to take place in any recognizable world. This is a world where it's 1984 and the POUS is clearly not Ronald Regan and Saudi Arabia buys oil from Egypt because why not. 

18 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I could track down the quotes, but suffice to say that several people have been on record saying ZSJL is not "canon". There's also the "story telling cut-de-sac" quote from the recent Hamada interview a while back. But at the same time they have this whole multiverse concept that they seem to embrace depending on the day.

Then, as you say, they have stand alone films like Joker and Matt Reeves Batman, which will probably be a trilogy. I'm firmly convinced WW84 is an else world-story. It's too baffling and weird to take place in any recognizable world. This is a world where it's 1984 and the POUS is clearly not Ronald Regan and Saudi Arabia buys oil from Egypt because why not. 

The whole DCEU is like that though no? Like don't both versions of Justice League have the final battle at Chernobyl but not Chernobyl? Plus Metropolis is basically NYC and Gotham Chicago but they're only separated by a bay? 

I don't think continuity weirdness is enough to say "this isn't meant to be part of that universe" 

By the way has Diana been working at that same museum since at least the 1980's? That should draw some attention. I still want to know if anyone ever found her invisible coffee cup. That was my main takeaway from that movie, that there's an invisible coffee cup out there in the DCEU. 

As for which version of Justice League is canon I'm sure you're right and it's the Whedon version, but does it really matter? Like apart from the "hey here's the martian manhunter" bit what's really the difference between the the two versions in the end in terms of impact on the universe? In one we know Darkseid is coming, but that's not so say he couldn't have still shown up after the Whedon version.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

So salty.

As far as the Snyder cut supporters that I pay any attention to, it's never been about Snyder "controlling the DC cinematic universe". They are perfectly capable of of wanting more Cavil, Affleck, etc. in Snyder's 5-film superman saga -and- embracing a stand-alone Joker film, a stand-alone Matt Reeves Batman trilogy, Shazam, The Suicide squad, the stuff on CW, etc. In exactly the same way that Venom and Miles Morales' Spider-Man get to exist outside the MCU continuity, more is better and it doesn't have to all be connected.

It's also true that the Black Adam rumor is irrelevant to whether or not JL 2 &3 happen. What is relevant is how ZSJL did in terms of streaming numbers and engagement. Warner Media hasn't released that stuff yet. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Obviously I haven't seen The Batman but there may be room to decide "this is a younger version of Ben Affleck's character" and just leave Joker out there alone. They could then continue their established universe without Snyder. 

There's an established universe?

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

The whole DCEU is like that though no? Like don't both versions of Justice League have the final battle at Chernobyl but not Chernobyl? Plus Metropolis is basically NYC and Gotham Chicago but they're only separated by a bay? 

I don't think continuity weirdness is enough to say "this isn't meant to be part of that universe" 

By the way has Diana been working at that same museum since at least the 1980's? That should draw some attention. I still want to know if anyone ever found her invisible coffee cup. That was my main takeaway from that movie, that there's an invisible coffee cup out there in the DCEU. 

As for which version of Justice League is canon I'm sure you're right and it's the Whedon version, but does it really matter? Like apart from the "hey here's the martian manhunter" bit what's really the difference between the the two versions in the end in terms of impact on the universe? In one we know Darkseid is coming, but that's not so say he couldn't have still shown up after the Whedon version.

I think there's a continuity error with Mera's parents. I don't know. I haven't seen Aquaman. There's also the nightmare stuff. 

Ah, the invisibility hoo-ha. A character who has never cast a spell in 3 prior film appearances can suddenly turn a plane invisible. also, ancient Greek sorcery makes the plane invisible to modern radar. God, I love that film.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Right, but if the rumor is based on anything, that is to say not completely made up like so many of them are, I'm guessing all The Rock meant was he wanted to be in the main DCEU with Shaazam (which makes sense) and not part of whatever their plan is going forward.

Yes, that's possibly the intent behind it. The Justice League team are mostly stars who can survive the stench of their association with the film, so why reinvent the wheel for his film? 

The narrow "I want to work with Zack Snyder's universe and you need to bring him back" that the fanatics are turning this into is the thing that's bullshit. There's no way he cares. He should be hanging his star on pushing them to have James Gunn be "the guy" going forward, if anything... Would make way more sense for him and his aesthetic to be in a bonkers, funny edgy comedy than it would be to be in the sort of stuff Synder serves up.

9 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Gotham seems more like NYC to me than Chicago, in a universe where Metropolis was established nearby in New Jersey.

But according to this Gotham is in New Jersey and Metropolis is in Delaware.

Anytime I see anything about Delaware, I think of the bit from Wayne's World with the virtual backgrounds and he says "Hi... I'm in... Delaware."

50 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Hey now don't go mudding the man on his own forum. 

You kids and your urban dictionaries. If it wasn't clear that was a feeble attempt at sarcasm, it was a feeble attempt at sarcasm.

I stand by my point though. Characterizing supporters of this saga as insular fanatics who are somehow bent on world domination is a bit much.

1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Gotham seems more like NYC to me than Chicago, in a universe where Metropolis was established nearby in New Jersey.

But according to this Gotham is in New Jersey and Metropolis is in Delaware.

I figured "Central City" would be Chicago. 

Gotham seems like the Republicans' perception of NYC while Metropolis is the Democrats'.

Archived