Shadow and Bone - Netflix - April

lady narcissa

New trailer today for Shadow and Bone premiering on Netflix on April 23rd.  I know a few of us are fans of the YA fantasy book series that the tv show is based on.  The author, Leigh Bardugo, met a few of us from this board at Worldcon in Reno before the first book ever came out and it was just a dream in her head.  It was probably thanks to Stego's vocal support for it on this board when it was published that many of us went out and purchased it to support her and then ended up loving it ourselves.

Anyway the trailer looks great! I don't get Netflix myself so I have no idea when I will ever see it but I will live vicariously through any clips of gifs I see until I do.

I've just realized I have no idea how to post a tweet or a link to the trailer on this board so if the following utterly fails hopefully someone will tell me how or post a correct link below. Anyway this is my attempt to post the tweet with the trailer...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">To destroy the Shadow Fold, we&#39;re going to need a miracle. Shadow and Bone premieres April 23 on Netflix. <a href="https://t.co/QLRLZiWbwS">pic.twitter.com/QLRLZiWbwS</a></p>&mdash; Shadow And Bone (@shadowandbone_) <a href="https://twitter.com/shadowandbone_/status/1365332043140317192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ETA: Or just see the post below since I failed to link correctly.

Edited by lady narcissa

18 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

New trailer today for Shadow and Bone premiering on Netflix on April 23rd.  I know a few of us are fans of the YA fantasy book series that the tv show is based on.  The author, Leigh Bardugo, met a few of us from this board at Worldcon in Reno before the first book ever came out and it was just a dream in her head.  It was probably thanks to Stego's vocal support for it on this board when it was published that many of us went out and purchased it to support her and then ended up loving it ourselves.

Anyway the trailer looks great! I don't get Netflix myself so I have no idea when I will ever see it but I will live vicariously through any clips of gifs I see until I do.

I've just realized I have no idea how to post a tweet or a link to the trailer on this board so if the following utterly fails hopefully someone will tell me how or post a correct link below. Anyway this is my attempt to post the tweet with the trailer...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">To destroy the Shadow Fold, we&#39;re going to need a miracle. Shadow and Bone premieres April 23 on Netflix. <a href="https://t.co/QLRLZiWbwS">pic.twitter.com/QLRLZiWbwS</a></p>&mdash; Shadow And Bone (@shadowandbone_) <a href="https://twitter.com/shadowandbone_/status/1365332043140317192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I thought it was a good trailer. I find the decision to try to combine both Shadow and Bone and Six of Crows in one season to be a bit puzzling, it feels they would be better to focus on one story rather than two very loosely connected ones. The trailer did seem to be mostly focusing on the former, although I think we see some of The Dregs later on.

I think Leigh has also become the first person from the Boarders Writing a Novel thread on here to get her own TV adaptation.

I lllooooooooooooooovvvveeeeee the Darkling *grin*  Ben Barnes is not quite perfect for him but he will do.  I just wish he did not have facial hair for the role.

As for combining Shadow and Bone and Six of Crows, I can see why they are doing that.   Best to just get all the characters out there at once rather than introducing a whole new set later on.  And they do have an overlap in the timeline. Presumably if the show is successful they could extend the story through the King of Scars material as well by doing it this way.

1 hour ago, lady narcissa said:

As for combining Shadow and Bone and Six of Crows, I can see why they are doing that.   Best to just get all the characters out there at once rather than introducing a whole new set later on.  And they do have an overlap in the timeline. Presumably if the show is successful they could extend the story through the King of Scars material as well by doing it this way.

Doesn't Six of Crows start some time after the end of the Grisha trilogy? Although I guess it might be possible to move it earlier with a few modifications.

27 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Doesn't Six of Crows start some time after the end of the Grisha trilogy? Although I guess it might be possible to move it earlier with a few modifications.

You know in my mind I thought there was some overlap.  But its been awhile since I read any of them so I guess I was confusing what we know if their backgrounds with what is actually revealed "live" in the stories.  In any case, here appears to be the answer:

https://www.thewrap.com/shadow-and-bone-series-netflix-six-of-crows-characters-timelines-books/

35 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

You know in my mind I thought there was some overlap.  But its been awhile since I read any of them so I guess I was confusing what we know if their backgrounds with what is actually revealed "live" in the stories.  In any case, here appears to be the answer:

https://www.thewrap.com/shadow-and-bone-series-netflix-six-of-crows-characters-timelines-books/

It sounds like they are showing some of Kaz's gang's earlier works which I guess could work. I can't really remember what the timeline is but presumably Kaz does come to Ketterdam some time before Shadow and Bone starts. They could also have Alina meet Nina when she goes to get trained since she would be with the other Grisha at that point.

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Very Russian historical looking. Impressive.

You all say this series is based on a fantasy series?  What is it called and who is the author, please?

Leigh Bardugo. It apparently is based on two books of two series that are in the same universe. The main source is the Grisha trilogy, beginning with Shadow and Bone and the Six of Crows duology starting with Six of Crows.

Ah.  YA. Which explains.  YA is utterly not my cuppa, hot or cold.  Never has been.  Even when I was a YA myself.  :rolleyes:

Yet, and yet, I will be watching this, while hoping it isn't one of those multiple fantasy disappointments Netflix has consistently presented us, like Curse, which I couldn't get past the second espisode, they are so dull and dreary in the actual execution.  I will hope it's more like Witcher, which wasn't GRRRRRRRRRRRRR8, but once past that first awful episode -- o goddessas! those awful scenes of manufactured naked females in a geezer wizard's garden of paradise), it got more intriguing, at least in parts.  (I find the Witcher fiction unreadable too -- though it might be due to translation? :dunno:)

There is so much richness for fantasy in early Russian history, before it is Russia, particularly when the Mongols and the Turks and the Poles-Hungarians and Byzantines all collide -- omygawsh!

Edited by Zorral

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

Ah.  YA. Which explains.  YA is utterly not my cuppa, hot or cold.  Never has been.  Even when I was a YA myself.  :rolleyes:

Yet, and yet, I will be watching this, while hoping it isn't one of those multiple fantasy disappointments Netflix has consistently presented us, 

You know what? It's totally ok if you sit this one out.

1 hour ago, kairparavel said:

You know what? It's totally ok if you sit this one out.

I don't need permission from anybody to watch or not watch anything!  I will, however, keep hoping for some period-type scripted drama on screen within which to immerse.  Hasn't happened often.  Peaky Blinders was one of the best, as has been The Last Kingdom.

There is so much from which to draw, and nobody is.  Just the same tired tropes over and over and over, generally.  Sigh.

Edited by Zorral

8 minutes ago, Mr Gordo said:

I always find it amusing that the same group of people who will flip their shit and write 20 page blog posts about it when someone says "SFF isn't real lit" are the same that will crap all over something without knowing anything about it if its labeled as YA. Shit, some stuff marketed as YA in one part of the world will be heavily marked towards adults in another. That's all it is really, marketing.

On that note I picked up Shadow & Bone today since that trailer looked cool and I really liked Ninth House.

I enjoyed the books but I think Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom is actually the better of the two series. Leigh Bardugo did a great job with the heist concept and the characters are better developed. But it's just my opinion. 

All that said, the trailer knocked my socks off and I'm so very impatient to see it all come alive and how the two stories are brought together. No mourners, no funerals. 

9 hours ago, kairparavel said:

I enjoyed the books but I think Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom is actually the better of the two series. Leigh Bardugo did a great job with the heist concept and the characters are better developed. But it's just my opinion.

I did enjoy the first trilogy but it was a bit uneven. There were some bits I really liked but other sections where it had issues with pacing, which is not too unusual for a debut series. I thought the second series was better paced and I also found the characters more interesting.

Ben Barnes as the Darkling? I’m aware he’s an ancient being or something, but he is a hell of a lot older looking than my mental image, especially when they’re casting Alina with a believably teenage actor. Otherwise, excellent trailer, the sun summoning looks fantastic.

14 hours ago, Zorral said:

I don't need permission from anybody to watch or not watch anything!

I mean if you're gonna insist on spaffing how arbitrarily sceptical you are over this over the enjoyment of a topic full of fans, you've got to be prepared for someone commenting that that's weird, dude.

I read my first Bardugo the other week, not connected to this - Ninth House, a Yale-set horor type thing. I didn't love it coz the premise just really wasn't my thing, but it was well enough written that between that and an interesting trailer here I may well crack open the books and will give this show a try.