Shadow and Bone - Netflix - April

lady narcissa

24 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, but for what it’s worth- Kaz *is* hot, in my opinion. He’s played by an actor of a physical type I am into (very pale, skinny, weird, cheekbones). He’s dressed very well. Frankly, this show is brimming with eye candy for male attracted people.

Oh, yes. I was more speaking to the fact that there's this tropey aspect of the character that all the women are swooning over him. They cast correctly! (Though Linda was more interested in Ben Barnes, she tells me.)

3 minutes ago, mormont said:

It's fine though. I have Amita Suman to look at. ;)

She is very striking, agreed.

It's a really good looking cast, but without having them seem cookie-cutter -- lots of different kinds of handsome/beautiful, which is nice to see.

18 minutes ago, Ran said:

Oh, yes. I was more speaking to the fact that there's this tropey aspect of the character that all the women are swooning over him. They cast correctly! (Though Linda was more interested in Ben Barnes, she tells me.)

She is very striking, agreed.

It's a really good looking cast, but without having them seem cookie-cutter -- lots of different kinds of handsome/beautiful, which is nice to see.

I kinda liked how Alina and Mal are pretty objectively the least attractive of the cast, which is filled with fabulously attractive people

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I kinda liked how Alina and Mal are pretty objectively the least attractive of the cast, which is filled with fabulously attractive people

Mal is very attractive. I don't know if that's "objective" or "subjective".

7 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Yeah I'm going to disagree on Jessie, she's utterly gorgeous as well. I think we can just say this show is not short on eye candy full stop lol. But also... Whoops quoted the wrong post and can't delete on my phone sorry

5 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Agreed with this as well, even Daisy Head as Genya had a really unusual and striking look while being gorgeous rather than the more conventional beautiful look. And if I were male attracted Kit has got something going on.

For those who read the books, does this season basically cover book one? 

I've been having trouble getting my boys (13 & 15) to read much these days past Percy Jackson (they enjoyed Harry Potter and a few other YA books, but are not showing much interest in reading). Is the series something they'd enjoy post-show? After finishing the show, my wife is interested in reading ahead of the show. I'm hoping the boys will be motivated as well. 

Back on topic: I enjoyed the show, though it did feel CW-ish. Not just the level of good looks on screen, but the modernish way they acted.

Agreed on the Nina/Mattias subplot kind of dragging. I know it's just so they all end up where they do at the end (which felt... convenient). The Crows Club were by far the most interesting group. I'd enjoy a spin off series with their antics (which I guess there's a book duology which covers this?) more than the A plot, but I'm still interested in season 2. 

5 hours ago, Myrddin said:

For those who read the books, does this season basically cover book one? 

I've been having trouble getting my boys (13 & 15) to read much these days past Percy Jackson (they enjoyed Harry Potter and a few other YA books, but are not showing much interest in reading). Is the series something they'd enjoy post-show? After finishing the show, my wife is interested in reading ahead of the show. I'm hoping the boys will be motivated as well. 

Back on topic: I enjoyed the show, though it did feel CW-ish. Not just the level of good looks on screen, but the modernish way they acted.

Agreed on the Nina/Mattias subplot kind of dragging. I know it's just so they all end up where they do at the end (which felt... convenient). The Crows Club were by far the most interesting group. I'd enjoy a spin off series with their antics (which I guess there's a book duology which covers this?) more than the A plot, but I'm still interested in season 2. 

Yes, the TV show's first season covers Book 1 of the Grisha Trilogy and acts as a prequel to Six of Crows.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m up to episode 7.  I still don’t understand why the Darkling is attractive to people (the character not the actor).  The character is a manipulative asshole.  

You aren't the YA readers/audience.  This ain't about you or for you.  You don't even exist when it comes to that demo. :rofl:

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m up to episode 7.  I still don’t understand why the Darkling is attractive to people (the character not the actor).  The character is a manipulative asshole.  

The Darkling only really seems attractive to other Grisha. He is clearly held in a mix of fear and contempt by others - which makes sense given his power. The Grisha are attracted to him for his power and because he has worked at protecting them, as far as they are aware.

Also, the whole thing of being manipulative is that outwardly that's not what you appear to be, otherwise you'd not be great at the manipulation.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

You aren't the YA readers/audience.  This ain't about you or for you.  You don't even exist when it comes to that demo. :rofl:

Well this clearly isn't for you either so I don't know why you continue to comment. Did you actually watch the show? There are clearly plenty of people in this thread who enjoyed the show.

The contempt for the YA readers/audience implied by your post is also pretty gross, as if they are lesser than because of a genre they enjoy. So you don't like the genre, don't be so dismissive of those who do

Edited by HelenaExMachina

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

contempt for the YA readers/audience implied by your post is also pretty gross,

Nope.  It's an attempt to express that what some audiences want are not what other audiences want.  Your perception is your perception as much as mine is mine.  :rofl:

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The Darkling isn’t a manipulative asshole, YA readers like manipulative asshole’s, or something else?

Wait, you said he was a manipulative asshole, and asked why do people like him.  What's going on here? :rofl:Round and round we go and where we land nobody knows! 

Edited by Zorral

On 5/1/2021 at 1:51 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

I think Ran mentioned Inej killing the brother, the sister knowing that somehow

I thought that was because she saw Inej with the twin of the distinct dagger that was left in her brother?

• 1 month later...

I got back to Netflix, and started watching this show. Two episodes in. I'm not familiar with the source material, because I seldom read YA.

It's ok so far. From what I gather, mainly from this thread, they've weaved together two book plots, I guess to add more meat to the story, and due to chronological events. The large cast of characters doesn't bother me, even if I haven't retained all the names yet. Thankfully, they didn't waste time in defining when the criminal gang storyline takes place in respect with Alina's story. I do like the gang storyline more so far.

The only recognizable actors for me so far are Ben Barnes and the guy playing the merchant who hires Kaz. And I could swear I've heard Inej's voice in a few video games.

The world is mildly interesting. I like the pace at which the world building is being unfolded; not too much thrown at once, but with decent explanations given at the right time. For example, in episode 2 I like when the commander of the First Army explains to Mal how the Grisha are falling behind and may be supplanted by technological advancements. This explains why the merchant Dreesan? is willing to rob the Grisha of their new found superhero.

I'm still a bit uncertain about the geography. The briefly spotted maps had writing that I can't read, seeing how the world is heavily influenced by Slavic cultures. So did the Fold split the country of Ravka in two or is Ravka contained only on the western side? I assume that's where Alina is, because they keep mentioning 'West Ravka.' And the Ravkans are at war with more than one other nation? They seem to be at war with some northern nation, and with one of the Three Kingdoms from ancient China. :P I'm confused about the location where the First Army is camped. Just because of a direct line through the Fold with the other side, or is that where the frontline is?

So Alina is racially profiled, because she is half-Shu Han, i.e. Asian, right? So in terms of the world building, given that the Ravkans are clearly inspired by Russia, Poland etc. I have to ask, how do, ahem, black people fit into it? There didn't seem to be any discrimination their way.

I hope there is more explanation about how those Fold-traversing skiffs work, because I had to switch my brain off watching the physics defying transport.

The main part of the country is East Ravka, which is where Alina is, the skiff in ep 1 was supposed to take them to West Ravka, which is the bit on the other side of the fold.

Ravka is at war with Fjerdan (the Scandinavian-ish northerners), but I don't think they are at war with the Shu, just the Shu are guarding their border and not letting Ravkans go through their lands to get round the southern  edge of the Fold.

The race thing I think is show only, in the books IIRC Alina wasn't mixed race and the discrimination was because she was a peasant.

As far as how the skiffs work, basically the one Grisha is generating wind to fill the sails and push it along.

Edited by Zlatan Ibrahimaltvic

2 hours ago, Zlatan Ibrahimaltvic said:

The main part of the country is East Ravka, which is where Alina is, the skiff in ep 1 was supposed to take them to West Ravka, which is the bit on the other side of the fold.

Ravka is at war with Fjerdan (the Scandinavian-ish northerners), but I don't think they are at war with the Shu, just the Shu are guarding their border and not letting Ravkans go through their lands to get round the southern  edge of the Fold.

The race thing I think is show only, in the books IIRC Alina wasn't mixed race and the discrimination was because she was a peasant.

As far as how the skiffs work, basically the one Grisha is generating wind to fill the sails and push it along.

hmm, so is Ketterdam? on the western side of the Fold? The old lady who ran the orphanage implied that the Ravkans were being pressed, that they had nowhere to go. Since the map shows a sea on the western edge, that means Ravka is being pressed from the east by other nations?

Not sure why they wouldn't keep the peasant thing. Why make it about nationality/race and not class?

Regarding the skiff, my issue was with how it moved on the ground. Does is have rollers? Or it's like a sled? What reduces the friction with the ground so the generated wind doesn't just snap the mast or the sail? The wind is generated to come from somewhere else, the Grisha isn't pushing air into the sail like a fan, right? This is why I had to turn my brain off at that scene.:P

47 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

hmm, so is Ketterdam? on the western side of the Fold? The old lady who ran the orphanage implied that the Ravkans were being pressed, that they had nowhere to go. Since the map shows a sea on the western edge, that means Ravka is being pressed from the east by other nations?

Ketterdam is on an island in the sea on the western edge of that map.

There's a map from the books here: https://www.leighbardugo.com/grishaverse/ravka-map/#iLightbox[55445bff8c5ec825a87]/0