Opinions on the dragons?

Alyn Oakenfist

The dragons serve the same role to Daenerys like the direwolves do to the Stark kids.  The dragons have stronger bonds to her because she hatched them.  She was the one who woke them from the petrified dragon eggs.  They prove who she is, the Promised Prince/Princess, Azor Ahai, and a Targaryen.  A person with a long face seen with a direwolf in the north is a proven Stark to those who know.  It is the same with Daenerys and her dragons.  

8 minutes ago, H Wadsey Longfellow said:

The dragons have stronger bonds to her because she hatched them

Like hell they do. The Starks can control their direwolves, where as Dany... Well why don't we ask Hazzea?

8 minutes ago, H Wadsey Longfellow said:

They prove who she is, the Promised Prince/Princess, Azor Ahai, and a Targaryen. 

Don't forget their life and vigor.

2 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Like hell they do. The Starks can control their direwolves, where as Dany... Well why don't we ask Hazzea?

Don't forget their life and vigor.

If you don't think Dany has a strong bond with Drogon than you really need to re-read her chapters. And by the end of ADWD she has him under control.  

On 2/27/2021 at 4:39 AM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Now this topic has been tangentially discussed quite a lot these past few days, so what are your opinions about the dragons? Are they dangerous WMDs that need to be put down, or signs of greatness filled with live and vigor? Or more likely somewhere in between. If so, where exactly in between?

Personally I don't have a concrete opinion, as I think GRRM wrote himself quite badly into a corner on this one, where on one side the parallels to the US and nukes are obvious, but on the other hand the dragons will be essential in fighting the Long Night. And much like GRRM himself, I do not know the answer to this particular conundrum. So, what is your opinion on the dragon?

Definitely symbols of greatness.  They are magnificent creatures.  An experienced sailor like Quhuru went out of his way to see the dragons with his own eyes.  The captain was not motivated by greed nor lust for power.  He simply wanted to see Dany's dragons.  I'm sure Dany's reputation for being very beautiful was additional encouragement to make that trip and deliver the wonderful news.  

Fighting the weather will be quite futile.  Dany and her dragons will come in after the last frost and dispose of the remaining wights.  The Others will have retreated back to their hell hole in the north at the first hint of thaw.  The dragons will allow Dany to rebuild civilization and start the first great empire of the new age.  

3 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Please remind me, which of them were children?

Please remind me, since when Arya is responsible for what Nymeria is doing, and since when Daenerys is responsible for what Drogon did/is doing.

Animals don't assort their victims by age, btw.

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

If you don't think Dany has a strong bond with Drogon than you really need to re-read her chapters. And by the end of ADWD she has him under control.  

Not really. Does Drogon fly her back to Meereen?

I do agree she is gaining control over him, however that control only seems to exist while Dany is physically around.

1 minute ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Please remind me, since when Arya is responsible for what Nymeria is doing, and since when Daenerys is responsible for what Drogon did/is doing.

Aren't the dragons Dany's children? Aren't the adults responsible for the children's actions?

1 minute ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Aren't the dragons Dany's children

I don't know. Are they? It might be that Daenerys directly gave them birth in the pyre. I wonder why those dragons can't talk and think the way a human does, since they're her children. Dumb Daenerys didn't even put clothes on them.

Just now, Daeron the Daring said:

I don't know. Are they? It might be that Daenerys directly gave them birth in the pyre. I wonder why those dragons can't talk and think the way a human does, since they're her children. Dumb Daenerys didn't even put clothes on them.

No, but she does constantly claim them as "her children". That comes with the responsibility attached, don't you think?

3 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

No, but she does constantly claim them as "her children". That comes with the responsibility attached, don't you think?

Yes, she does. And I regularly call my BFs my bros. Are they my biological brothers? 

1 minute ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Haven't you seen people calling others 'my son', altough it's not their son they're talking to?

We're just going around in circles.

The point is, the dragons are Dany's pets/children/things. She is responsible for the shit that they do.

And before you throw Nymeria at me, she is no longer Arya's, Arya cast her away.

2 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

We're just going around in circles.

Yes we do. Why? Because you're making up your dumb assumptions. How you want any kind of progress in a discussion if you're only throwing shit at others?

4 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

The point is, the dragons are Dany's pets/children/things. She is responsible for the shit that they do.

Why would she be responsible for a halfwild dragon's acts?

The point I'm trying to make is that nor Daenerys, nor Arya is responsible for their pet's actions, as they're wandering in the wild.

Ned directly said that if his children adopt the direwolves, it becomes their responsibility and fault if it hurts someone. If Daenerys throws out her dragons in the wild and those animals start slaughtering people, that means she's not responsible for what they did, doesn't it? 

The point is, none of these two are responsible for them, and people shouldn't judge someone for something they don't judge someone else in a different case, for the exact same thing.

Dany has more responsibilities because she wants to be queen and took the job. Arya wants to be a little gutter rat who is good with a sword. Dany wants to rule entire nations and keep her dragon children in the thick of it. I think she is more responsible because she is taking on more responsibility. Simple.

It would be better for everyone if Dany threw rocks at those baby dragons like Arya did with Nymeria. Then maybe they would fear humans and become wild dragons that just ate horses in the Dothraki Sea. 

13 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Then maybe they would fear humans and become wild dragons that just ate horses in the Dothraki Sea. 

I mean they could eat their riders too. Give the Dothraki "cultural values" it wouldn't be that much of a loss. I mean say what you will about the Ironborn, Wildlings and even the Ghiscari, at least genocide isn't on their resume, unlike the Dothraki.

22 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Dany has more responsibilities because she wants to be queen and took the job. Arya wants to be a little gutter rat who is good with a sword. Dany wants to rule entire nations and keep her dragon children in the thick of it. I think she is more responsible because she is taking on more responsibility. Simple.

Something something, great power and responsibility.

13 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

mean they could eat their riders too. Give the Dothraki "cultural values" it wouldn't be that much of a loss. I mean say what you will about the Ironborn, Wildlings and even the Ghiscari, at least genocide isn't on their resume, unlike the Dothraki.

"It is great honor to be eaten by khaleesi's dragon." - Dany cult members, probably

More dragons should be like Silverwing and Grey Ghost, just chilling out. A random man vs. nature casualty isnt as bad as having them right in the middle of a city or using them as flying monkeys for invasions.

4 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

"It is great honor to be eaten by khaleesi's dragon." - Dany cult members, probably

Dany's dragons are filled with life and vigor. They are signs from Rhallo. To die by them is the purest death there is. Blessed are those to have died by their flames.

4 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

More dragons should be like Silverwing and Grey Ghost, just chilling out.

I mean isn't that kinda what Viserion and Rhaegal are doing, chilling out, maybe occasionally eating a slaver or two?

Archived