US Politics: CPAC - Finding new ways to bring America to Rune.

Trump vows to campaign against 'disloyal' Murkowski
The former president is formalizing his long-held opposition to the four-term senator, promising to travel outside the Lower 48 to galvanize Alaska voters against her.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/06/trump-lisa-murkowski-2022-474028

Former President Donald Trump is making official his plans to target Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski, vowing to travel to Alaska to campaign against her ahead of the 2022 midterm elections.

In a statement to POLITICO on Saturday, Trump said: “I will not be endorsing, under any circumstances, the failed candidate from the great State of Alaska, Lisa Murkowski. She represents her state badly and her country even worse. I do not know where other people will be next year, but I know where I will be — in Alaska campaigning against a disloyal and very bad Senator.”

Murkowski, who has held her seat since 2002, has been a longtime critic of the former president and was one of seven Republican senators to vote to convict him in last month’s impeachment trial. She is the only one of the seven to face reelection in 2022.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

?  The only two ifs were if Schumer brought a bill to the floor and if Biden would use the bully pulpit.  Both of those are virtually sure things too..if Biden employed that strategy instead.  Anyway, I don't really get your argument here - you're saying the media only pays attention if it has a real chance of becoming law, but the vote on the amendment didn't have any chance of passing; hell, it still required 60 votes - but whatever.

I typed too fast, I meant to say "big" not "all." I think its a big if to assume Biden will publicly make a big push any House bills, he didn't really even for the COVID bill. And I also wouldn't assume Schumer will force cloture votes on every House bill that comes through. I assume he will for HR1, but I wouldn't for a standalone minimum wage bill. Basically, I think he will for every bill his caucus is united on, to show a contrast against Republicans; but he won't for bills that split the caucus and are potentially a hard vote for some of his members.

And I think the only reason the media paid attention to the Sanders amendment was because it was tied up with the ongoing story related to parliamentarian, and when there had been a chance for it. Without that history, if it was just an amendment brought up like any other, I think it would've been ignored like all the other failed amendment votes Friday night. 

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Basically, I think he will for every bill his caucus is united on, to show a contrast against Republicans; but he won't for bills that split the caucus and are potentially a hard vote for some of his members.

Well, I think the Floyd bill should unite the caucus as well - only Golden and Kind voted against it in the House.  Same goes for minimum wage if they go through regular order to work out some concerns.  Except, of course, for Manchin (really, for both bills).  As for Biden pushing for the bill being a big if - that's pretty much my point.  I'm arguing he should be doing this instead of the hamfisted way he dealt with the minimum wage. 

Hell, based on the comments this morning, this is what Manchin wants - these agenda items first going through regular order to "give a chance" for bipartisanship.  That's of course crap, but appeasing him in going through this process - in a high profile manner - sounds like the best way to get him on board for filibuster reform and/or using reconciliation for non-budgetary issues.

There has been much discussion here about a possibility of filibuster reform, and I just wanted to call attention to this article in Politico on Manchin willing to change the rules to make it "painful" for the minority to use the filibuster. This looks to me to open the way for an approach much like Norm Ornstein has advocated. Make the bastards actually have to show up around the clock with their forty votes!

Sorry, it this has already been linked and I'm slow to the discussion.

Yeah that was the way I was told back in civics class what it meant to filibuster. One had to continually read or the measure would end.

Not certain if that was ever true, but it's what my notion of what the filibuster actually was for many years.

On a separate note, I gather that $15hr minimum wage is DOA.

It's surprising how many people I've heard talking about this as if it's already passed. Imagine the heartbreak for so many dependendant on these jobs. It seems unusually cruel to deliver nothing to so many with hopes so high. I hope they can at least get a raise to a $12hr minimum wage or a close compromise later. It's better than zilch.

Josh Chafetz had some thoughts on Ornstein's proposals, namely that reintroducing a talking filibuster would prevent dual-tracking, meaning lots of stuff would just sit idle waiting for a filibuster to end. Chafetz's own proposal is a declining filibuster, where the number of votes to call cloture slowly falls as the filibuster goes on. Sounds like an interesting idea, but one that seems like it's a brand new approach that doesn't seem to line up with any other Senate procedure (that I'm aware of, anyways), which could lead to resistance.

But Manchin's clearly signalling he's willing to see some sort of tweak.

4 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Yeah that was the way I was told back in civics class what it meant to filibuster. One had to continually read or the measure would end.

Not certain if that was ever true, but it's what my notion of what the filibuster actually was for many years.

On a separate note, I gather that $15hr minimum wage is DOA.

It's surprising how many people I've heard talking about this as if it's already passed. Imagine the heartbreak for so many dependendant on these jobs. It seems unusually cruel to deliver nothing to so many with hopes so high. I hope they can at least get a raise to a $12hr minimum wage or a close compromise later. It's better than zilch.

The lowest wage at my current workplace is $12 an hour.

If it actually passed, the higher ups already decided they’d just raise everyone else’s wages  by $3 an hour to keep people from complaining.

Looks like they won’t have to do that any time soon, and can just keep the money for themselves. 

We are in contract negotiations and one class of workers getting a few dollars over the proposed $15 has been very vocal over they should then immediately be raised as well. I was hearing this argument yesterday as the employee spoke of a new $15 hr minimum as if it were a done deal. 

I think he and many similar have now had their hopes falsely dashed.

22 minutes ago, Ran said:

Chafetz's own proposal is a declining filibuster, where the number of votes to call cloture slowly falls as the filibuster goes on. Sounds like an interesting idea, but one that seems like it's a brand new approach that doesn't seem to line up with any other Senate procedure (that I'm aware of, anyways), which could lead to resistance.

That isn't just Chafetz's proposal, it's been proposed in the past - by actual Senators!

A third way to reform the filibuster is to lower the threshold each time a cloture vote fails. In 2013, former Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa introduced a resolution to achieve this. The resolution stipulated that the majority for the first cloture vote on a measure was three-fifths of all sitting Senators (60 votes). However, each time the cloture vote failed, the threshold for a successful vote would be reduced by three. If the vote reduction would put the threshold below a simple majority, the threshold would automatically become a simple majority of all Senators (51 votes).

Anyway, that link is fairly comprehensive on detailing the various options (and pros and cons) on reforming the filibuster.  Think I've linked to it at least a half dozen times here over the past few years.

Ah, thanks. I should say rather that it was one that Chafetz was touting in an article. He probably cited Harkin. Think I've missed your prior links, but will read it, as it's interesting to see what the alternatives are. 

I really do wonder what Manchin would be willing to go for, or if it's just a feigned position he's taking.

8 minutes ago, Ran said:

I really do wonder what Manchin would be willing to go for, or if it's just a feigned position he's taking.

Me too.  As you said, reverting to the talking filibuster - while perhaps nostalgic with the Jimmy Stewart/Huey Long allusions - does present some very real logistical problems on its own.  And that seemed to be the only one he specifically mentioned (haven't watched all his Sunday morning interviews).

maybe just plain indexing the current federal minimum wage to inflation?  Inflation goes up, so does the minimum wage.  perhaps that might garner a few republican votes...

Be nice to slide in a dollar or three an hour pay bump on top of that, but probably unlikely 

Make the filibuster require speakers to be on-topic all of the time, and once a topic has been covered it can't be repeated? And at any time a point of order can be raised to say that what is currently being spoken about is either not-relevant or has been said before. You get X number of successful points of order against you then the filibuster is over.

Oh, and you can't just read verbatim from texts written in a published document (book, article, journal) of the senate.

@Ser Scot A Ellison "Pics or it didn't happen"

I keep my campaign promises.

https://i.imgur.com/NIjPPxM.png

https://i.imgur.com/gz62hAT.png

Please let these be acceptable. I know you can't make out the words on the upper flag, but they say, "Not my president" I'll get a better photo if you demand it, but it'd be nice if you take me at my word.

3 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Please let these be acceptable. I know you can't make out the words on the upper flag, but they say, "Not my president" I'll get a better photo if you demand it, but it'd be nice if you take me at my word.

I think you should quit while you're ahead before he shoots you as a trespasser.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

@Ser Scot A Ellison "Pics or it didn't happen"

I keep my campaign promises.

https://i.imgur.com/NIjPPxM.png

https://i.imgur.com/gz62hAT.png

Yeah, I got a guy down the street from me flying a “Trump 2020: No More Bullshit” flag... with no intended irony.

4 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

maybe just plain indexing the current federal minimum wage to inflation?  Inflation goes up, so does the minimum wage.  perhaps that might garner a few republican votes...

Be nice to slide in a dollar or three an hour pay bump on top of that, but probably unlikely 

Per the video I linked a wee while ago. ALL of the countries included in the video have a minimum wage setting process that is linked to things like CPI and it is largely automatic, though in most cases there is probably a review process to ensure nothing extreme happens,... all that is, except for the USA.

Huh. Roy Blount is retiring, guess he didn't want to deal with another primary. I doubt Democrats can win a senate seat in Missouri anymore, but maybe this cracks the window just a tiny bit (e.g. Likely R instead of Safe R). More importantly, this is the 5th GOP Senate retirement this cycle, and all 5 are from the less-Trumpy side of the party. As bad the Senate Republicans have been, there are likely going to be a whole lot worse in 2023.

Also, an odd SCOTUS decision just came out. https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/19-968_8nj9.pdf It's not a major case or anything, but its an 8-1 opinion written by Thomas, with Roberts as the lone dissenter. I'm not sure that configuration has ever happened before.

Archived