Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
A Horse Named Stranger

US Politics: CPAC - Finding new ways to bring America to Rune.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Dam! It cuts off before he starts looking for the files “in” the computer. 
 

This is worse than when those people died in that freak gasoline fight accident. 

I couldn't find a continuous clip from when they started acting like apes till when he throws the computer to get the files out of it.

What a great fucking movie.  

Edited by Tywin et al.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Growing up in Rochester (NY), and now living in Pittsburgh the last seven years, this difference is startling.  While Rochester was like what you're saying, the sun was out til about 7 this evening here in Pitt.

It was out till probably about six here today. The problem is like Kay said, in the dead of winter, if you get to work early and stay late, you may never see the sun if you're working in a windowless building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tywin et al. said:

The problem is like Kay said, in the dead of winter, if you get to work early and stay late, you may never see the sun if you're working in a windowless building.

Yeah I remember.  Hey, at least you don't live in Harlan..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was out till probably about six here today. The problem is like Kay said, in the dead of winter, if you get to work early and stay late, you may never see the sun if you're working in a windowless building.

You don’t even have to do those things to never see the sun here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It is dark by like 4:00pm all winter up here anyway, who cares what the clock says

Hello darkness my old friend,

Soon you'll be here at 4 pm

(with apologies to Simon and Garfunkel). Anyway, US politics. Lets hope the bill is passed tomorrow and signed into law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Hello darkness my old friend,

Soon you'll be here at 4 pm

(with apologies to Simon and Garfunkel)

Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Anyway, US politics. Lets hope the bill is passed tomorrow and signed into law.

I just want to hear more Republicans cry about how unfair and partisan this has all been, like their more expensive and less needed tax bill ramming through never even happened.

Hacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Hello darkness my old friend,

Soon you'll be here at 4 pm

(with apologies to Simon and Garfunkel). Anyway, US politics. Lets hope the bill is passed tomorrow and signed into law.

Living half the year in darkness is good for your skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

Man, I had thoughts on this Cooper column on the Dems finding a spine, but y'all don't really do politics in y'all's own politics thread?  

Hey!  We talked about the significance of the bill - as a political and policy accomplishment - back on Saturday when it passed the Senate.  It's just..we get restless sometimes.  But yeah, definitely agree with the main thrust of Coopers piece, or this:

Quote

For those who remember what this point in 2009 was like, all this is very confusing. Democrats back then had gigantic majorities in both the House and the Senate, plus an extremely popular new president — but they cheaped out on their response to the financial crisis. Today, the party has a tiny 5-vote margin in the House, controls the Senate only by virtue of Vice President Harris' tie-breaking vote, and elected a famously moderate old white guy as president.

Yet despite having literally zero margin for error, the ARP is more than twice as big as the 2009 Recovery Act, and structured far more generously. Effectively, Democrats are betting that blasting trainloads of money down the income ladder will pay off both economically and politically. I can't believe I'm writing this, but it seems Democrats ... learned from their mistakes?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Hey!  We talked about the significance of the bill - as a political and policy accomplishment - back on Saturday when it passed the Senate.  It's just..we get restless sometimes.  But yeah, definitely agree with the main thrust of Coopers piece, or this:

 

Nice!  I don't want to get too optimistic cause lots of reasons that Cooper lays out pretty well.  But at the same time...like, total paradigm shift?

 

A thing it's hard for me not to wonder about, and I say this as a pretty big Obama apologist:  what if Obama and Biden in early '09 were like "anyone who is not 100% on board gets the wrath of the nunchucks" the way Trump is trying to do now with GOP?  Not sure this would have worked.   We are talking Lieberman, Ben Nelson. Blanche DuBois, etc...but it's interesting to ponder.

 

Totally just getting out of my lane on the comment on the thread...the Tywin guy always like this?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

A thing it's hard for me not to wonder about, and I say this as a pretty big Obama apologist:  what if Obama and Biden in early '09 were like "anyone who is not 100% on board gets the wrath of the nunchucks" the way Trump is trying to do now with GOP?  Not sure this would have worked.   We are talking Lieberman, Ben Nelson. Blanche DuBois, etc...but it's interesting to ponder.

Well, first, yeah as you mention, the Democratic party was significantly more "moderate" or even centrist in 2009.  Especially in the Senate.  Second, the 2009 stimulus was not passed through reconciliation - which is (partially) why it was passed about a month earlier.  Third, the more ambitious - and liberal leaning - aspects of the bill are indeed a direct result of the 2009 bill being too compromised with Biden et al. learning from that mistake.

Obama did try to make it appeal to Republicans, and I suppose he was technically successful in that with Collins voting for it (which is why it was able to reach cloture).  Luckily, almost the entire party has learned such efforts at "bipartisanship" are fruitless when the other side is never going to negotiate in good faith.  The entire party except Joe Manchin that is.

Anyway, I don't know if I'd call it a "paradigm" shift, but its passage in such a way is quite significant in clarifying that the party is no longer worried about playing the stupid deficit game with the GOP - which they only care about when a Democrat is president.  Further, I think even Biden recognizes the only way he's going to get anything significant passed is through reconciliation.  So now we have 6 months or so to try to get Manchin on board with at least somehow getting voting rights reform through with 51 votes.

10 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

Totally just getting out of my lane on the comment on the thread...the Tywin guy always like this?  

Unfortunately yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Unfortunately yes.

So it's like US politics plus the Tywin dude's other stuff all the time?  bro....

 

OK, another thing you mentioned that is worth thinking on, I think...if you're right that the Dem party has moved left since 2009...is Manchin or Sinema right now way, way to the left of Ben Nelson, Blanche, etc...back then?  If that's so, and I know this will make me seem like an apologist (but not for the Tywin dude to be sure) that maybe Manchin is not so bad?  Like, he's signing off on a monstrous bill to help lower-income people. strutted his stuff for like a day, but still signed, bla bla.  Media is like "look how bad Manchin Cinema is" and I'm like "holy shit, so much less bad than Ben Nelson Blanche Lieberman"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People probably saw it, but if you didn't, basically everyone in in the Nevada Democratic Party quit after the establishment folks (basically Harry Reid's political machine) lost to a slate of Sanders/DSA aligned progressives. They also took about 85% (~450k out of 521k) of the party's warchest and sent it to the DSCC. Now, I don't really care whether or not they stuck around, I'd rather see the progressives build their own staff, but this seems to be people who left taking their ball and going home rather than a standard matter of handing over the reins to the new leadership group.

Funny part about this whole thing was the name of the establishment group, The Progressive Unity Slate. Big time "Unity for thee but not for me" energy going on here.

A few links on the story

Nevada Democratic Party staff quit after Sanders backers take over (The Hill)

Say goodbye to the most effective Democratic Party in the country (The Nevada Independent)

Entire Staff of Nevada Democratic Party Quits After Democratic Socialist Slate Won Every Seat (The Intercept)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Walter the Singing Wildcat said:

OK, another thing you mentioned that is worth thinking on, I think...if you're right that the Dem party has moved left since 2009...is Manchin or Sinema right now way, way to the left of Ben Nelson, Blanche, etc...back then?

I wouldn't say way to the left, but yes, Manchin and especially Sinema are significantly further to the left than Lieberman and Ben Nelson were (the Arkansas Dems, Lincoln and Mark Pryor, too I guess) on policy.  Albeit, in Manchin's case he's still not gonna go for the $15 minimum wage hike.  Thing about it is, Manchin and Sinema are steadfast in maintaining the filibuster, so the best Biden and the Dems can hope for is to convince them to bend on that with filibuster reform and/or changing their approach to reconciliation on certain agenda items (most importantly, IMO, voting rights).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It is dark by like 4:00pm all winter up here anyway, who cares what the clock says

You are looking at teh wrong end of darkness there.

The issue is the rise and shine, which is such a joy in total darkness. Now imagine having to get up an hour earlier in winter.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DMC said:

I wouldn't say way to the left, but yes, Manchin and especially Sinema are significantly further to the left than Lieberman and Ben Nelson were (the Arkansas Dems, Lincoln and Mark Pryor, too I guess) on policy.  Albeit, in Manchin's case he's still not gonna go for the $15 minimum wage hike.  Thing about it is, Manchin and Sinema are steadfast in maintaining the filibuster, so the best Biden and the Dems can hope for is to convince them to bend on that with filibuster reform and/or changing their approach to reconciliation on certain agenda items (most importantly, IMO, voting rights).

Whoa, forgot about Pryor.  Are you saying that when Obama got to 60 ( and it was so fucking annoying when everyone acted like it was 60 for a full 2 years) that this was with TWO Arkansas senators?  So many other redish state people like ain't coming back like North Dakota, McCaskill, Landrue (sp), Rockefeller, Indiana something, Iowa something....

Sure, some states like AZ and VA got bluer, but probably not enough...looks bleak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You are looking at teh wrong end of darkness there.

The issue is the rise and shine, which is such a joy in total darkness. Now imagine having to get an hour earlier in winter.

Dude, new and all, but this is a seriously incoherent post.   Your postcount suggests to me that you know better, but what about who you are saying this to?  OK to just come at the Fury like that?   Peaking at other Fury stuff I gotta think you've got some inside joke stuff cus otherwise this is pretty fucking weak dude, sorry to say.  Love your handle though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...