Star Wars: Now You Will Experience the Full Power of Disney

Corvinus85

Wednesday when I was knocked out by my vaccination I spent the day in bed listening to the audio book version of "Dark Lord - The Rise of Darth Vader". And my neighbor, too, probably.

What I found interesting to note was the distinct parallels of the Order 66 survivors' storylines in this 2005 story to Ahsoka's and Ion Squad to the Bad Batch story. The Clone Wars shows show our protagonists going to insane lengths to avoid killing clones (directly), in that story the Jedi at first refused to fight the clones of their own battalion either and the Ion Squad clone squad that saved them (notably because they didn't get the Order 66 memo themselves and never got a direct answer by their idiot commander why they should kill the Jedi either) also refused to fight their brothers directly and basically walked willingly towards their execution instead of becoming fugitives themselves. Good soldiers follow orders, eh? It is notable that even the Bad Batch tries to avoid lethal shots and even now there are several instances where they somehow manage to incapacitate their brothers instead. In Dark Lord the Jedi however loose their restraints once they get attacked in space battles (gotta shoot down those ARC fighters) and when they watch clones kick around and murdering civilians that are suspected of aiding them.

No really, I'm astonished how well the story fits even with the new canon that came later. Also the way the story ends with three Jedi survivors going into hiding never to be heard of again makes me wonder just how many other Jedis certainly should have been cropping out of the woodworks the moment Luke re-established the Jedi order. Heck, in that story even Palpatine is uncharacteristically dismissive of the likelihood of him missing quite a few, being content to know them hiding in fear and misery.

Yeah, I wonder, did anyone write a follow-up what happened with Olee Starstone afterwards? Did she marry that hacker guy, retired and missed Luke's call? XD

14 minutes ago, Toth said:

Wednesday when I was knocked out by my vaccination I spent the day in bed listening to the audio book version of "Dark Lord - The Rise of Darth Vader". And my neighbor, too, probably.

What I found interesting to note was the distinct parallels of the Order 66 survivors' storylines in this 2005 story to Ahsoka's and Ion Squad to the Bad Batch story. The Clone Wars shows show our protagonists going to insane lengths to avoid killing clones (directly), in that story the Jedi at first refused to fight the clones of their own battalion either and the Ion Squad clone squad that saved them (notably because they didn't get the Order 66 memo themselves and never got a direct answer by their idiot commander why they should kill the Jedi either) also refused to fight their brothers directly and basically walked willingly towards their execution instead of becoming fugitives themselves. Good soldiers follow orders, eh? It is notable that even the Bad Batch tries to avoid lethal shots and even now there are several instances where they somehow manage to incapacitate their brothers instead. In Dark Lord the Jedi however loose their restraints once they get attacked in space battles (gotta shoot down those ARC fighters) and when they watch clones kick around and murdering civilians that are suspected of aiding them.

No really, I'm astonished how well the story fits even with the new canon that came later. Also the way the story ends with three Jedi survivors going into hiding never to be heard of again makes me wonder just how many other Jedis certainly should have been cropping out of the woodworks the moment Luke re-established the Jedi order. Heck, in that story even Palpatine is uncharacteristically dismissive of the likelihood of him missing quite a few, being content to know them hiding in fear and misery.

Yeah, I wonder, did anyone write a follow-up what happened with Olee Starstone afterwards? Did she marry that hacker guy, retired and missed Luke's call? XD

It got de-canoned by the Disney buy-over, albeit Luceno (author) unofficially sort-of re-canonises it by referencing it in a post-Disney novel (the Tarkin one I think).

8 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

It got de-canoned by the Disney buy-over, albeit Luceno (author) unofficially sort-of re-canonises it by referencing it in a post-Disney novel (the Tarkin one I think).

Don't need to tell me that, but I was thinking that in between 2005 and the coming of Disney there may have been an opportunity to throw in a reference to what happened to her. I somewhat got to like that padawan in that brief time we spent with her. The internet tells me no though.

21 minutes ago, Toth said:

Also the way the story ends with three Jedi survivors going into hiding never to be heard of again makes me wonder just how many other Jedis certainly should have been cropping out of the woodworks the moment Luke re-established the Jedi order. Heck, in that story even Palpatine is uncharacteristically dismissive of the likelihood of him missing quite a few, being content to know them hiding in fear and misery.

I was surprised when I read this last year:

Lucas said. “He puts the word out, so out of 100,000 Jedi, maybe 50 or 100 are left. The Jedi have to grow again from scratch, so Luke has to find two-and-three-year-olds, and train them. It’ll be 20 years before you have a new generation of Jedi.”

50 or 100 is way more than I'd imagined surviving. 

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Me too. In a paragraph that took me aback the story pointed out that the Jedi Order still had quite a few non-combatant members outside the temple who weren't involved with any clones. Two the survivors of Dark Lord were from the agri-corps and were busy organizing the reforestation of a strip-mined world, far away from any trigger-happy clones, when they got the news of Order 66. Sure enough, the recall order of the Jedi temple was supposed to get people in their position killed, but given how quickly Obi-Wan and Yoda turned that beacon into a warning instead, I think it's doubtful Palpatine actually managed to catch anyone with it who wasn't already in the direct vicinity of Coruscant.

22 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I was surprised when I read this last year:

“Last of the Jedi will you be “

Apart from the other 100.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

“Last of the Jedi will you be “

Apart from the other 100.

A Jedi who does not confront the Emperor or his Darth at least once is no Jedi. Just a man or a woman with a sparkly stick and some magician's techniques.

2 hours ago, Babblebauble said:

A Jedi who does not confront the Emperor or his Darth at least once is no Jedi. Just a man or a woman with a sparkly stick and some magician's techniques.

I dunno, I might be misremembering but doesn't Yoda basically tell Ezra not to fuck with Vader or the emperor? The plan was to wait and pin their hopes on Vader's kids. 

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I dunno, I might be misremembering but doesn't Yoda basically tell Ezra not to fuck with Vader or the emperor? The plan was to wait and pin their hopes on Vader's kids. 

Not when George Lucas wrote it.

It’s annoying that it contradicts what Yoda says, but then again if there really are 100,000 Jedi it seems pretty daft that a single order to some brainwashed clones would successfully wipe out them out expect three. I mean were all 100,000 leading some Stormtroopers in the war at the time?

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

It’s annoying that it contradicts what Yoda says, but then again if there really are 100,000 Jedi it seems pretty daft that a single order to some brainwashed clones would successfully wipe out them out expect three.

A young Jedi named Darth Vader helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. It seems likely that quite a few survived Order 66, but far fewer were still around a decade later. I prefer to assume Kenobi and Yoda were the only ones still living within the bounds of the Empire at the time of the original trilogy.

On 5/27/2021 at 4:38 PM, RumHam said:

No, Thrawn is who Ahsoka is looking for so he'll almost certainly show up on her show. Rangers of the New Republic was the one that was gonna have Cara Dune, Captain Teva, and probably Bill Burr's character getting a further redemption arc. 

Personally I'm glad to have one less Star Wars show it seemed like they might be spreading things a little thin. 

It sounds like they're planning a mini-Avengers thing, with The MandalorianAhsoka and possibly The Book of Boba Fett all setting up Thrawn's return and then bringing him in an event cross-over series (think The Defenders, only not mediocre). Rangers of the New Republic might have been part of that idea, but that's on the backburner for now. Aside from the Cara Dune thing, it might be that Filoni and Favreau are spreading themselves too thin and they want to keep a reasonable tight reign on things.

Although that is frustrating for Paul Sun-Hyung Lee, since his last show (Kim's Convenience) was cancelled from under him with no warning and this one might be dead on arrival. Still, there's no reason Teva can't show up again in a recurring role in the other shows.

The Book of Boba Fett wrapped this week and production is due to start on Season 3 of The Mandalorian shortly.

So no Mandalorian this year and maybe not until next Spring or summer, whilst Boba should take Mando's slot in December.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The Book of Boba Fett wrapped this week and production is due to start on Season 3 of The Mandalorian shortly.

So no Mandalorian this year and maybe not until next Spring or summer, whilst Boba should take Mando's slot in December.

I've read somewhere that filming for season 3 of The Mandalorian won't start just yet. Later in the summer or in September, I think.

Fun interview between Ewan McGregor & Pedro Pascal:

I like Ewan McGregor's double-take at his realization that his Obi-Wan never interacted with Stormtroopers before and now in his show does. I hope that comes across in the show...

• 1 month later...

Rumors swirling that indeed Lars Mikkelsen has been cast as live-action Thrawn along with Mena Massoud (live-action Aladdin) as Ezra Bridger. And that there is a possibility they will first be seen in the next season of The Mandalorian, which is ahead of schedule, before the Ahsoka show.

31 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Rumors swirling that indeed Lars Mikkelsen has been cast as live-action Thrawn along with Mena Massoud (live-action Aladdin) as Ezra Bridger. And that there is a possibility they will first be seen in the next season of The Mandalorian, which is ahead of schedule, before the Ahsoka show.

As I recall every casting rumor from The Mandalorian last season turned out to be true, so I hope this is also. 

Archived