Star Wars: Now You Will Experience the Full Power of Disney

Corvinus85

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

I think that's what's great about anthology shows. They throw a wide net out, different studios and different story styles, and chances are you'll like a few and not like a few, and someone else will like the ones you don't and dislike the ones you do, etc. 

More anthology shows, especially animated anthology shows, is a great trend. Love, Death, + Robots seems to have kicked something off as a recent anthology show example.

So far, Visions seems to have pretty broad acclaim in the Star Wars fan community, including among denizens of the Saltier than Crait subreddit who are known for their hatred of the sequel trilogy. It seems like it is in fact possible for Star Wars fans to want new and interesting things in the Star Wars franchise and hate the sequel films.

@Babblebauble

Slashfilm has the relevant quotes if you want to check them out.

@Corvinus85 

I think her remarks on Rey had to do not just with the first, but the second, as it's clear she had seen TLJ (her remarks about Luke) but had not yet seen RotS at the time she was interviewed. It also fits with her concern that they were planning to release a movie every year, something they realized was not going to work right around the time of Solo which released half a year after TLJ.

The idea that Star Wars fans don't want anything new was always just Disney propaganda to try downplay the negative reception that TLJ got, IMO.

This idea that TLJ was "bold and took Star Wars in new directions" is also just a myth. in my very humble opinion. It aped the structure of The Empire Strikes Back (with a little bit of ROTJ thrown in) in much the same way that The Force Awakens cut and pasted ANH. And it ended with the Star Wars universe in the exact same state as it was at the beginning of ANH: Plucky rebels vs powerful empire. It took the story backwards.

And I hated Rise of Skywalker 'cause it felt like a groveling apology for The Last Jedi.

Seriously, all I want from Star Wars is good stories that respect and build on the Star wars mythos, preferably with passable acting and dialogue (the prequels actually had an interesting narrative IMO, just that the acting and dialogue were so atrocious)

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

The idea that Star Wars fans don't want anything new was always just Disney propaganda to try downplay the negative reception that TLJ got, IMO.

This idea that TLJ was "bold and took Star Wars in new directions" is also just a myth. in my very humble opinion. It aped the structure of The Empire Strikes Back (with a little bit of ROTJ thrown in) in much the same way that The Force Awakens cut and pasted ANH. And it ended with the Star Wars universe in the exact same state as it was at the beginning of ANH: Plucky rebels vs powerful empire. It took the story backwards.

And I hated Rise of Skywalker 'cause it felt like a groveling apology for The Last Jedi.

Seriously, all I want from Star Wars is good stories that respect and build on the Star wars mythos, preferably with passable acting and dialogue (the prequels actually had an interesting narrative IMO, just that the acting and dialogue were so atrocious)

I always thought it would have been a much better story, if the First Order were the underdogs and had to use clever tactics, to be a treat to the much more powerful Republic army. Instead Abrams just gave them a Death Star right off the bat, reasons be dammed, lol

Also to this day, I have no idea why the Resistance, is even called "the Resistance", and not "the Republic Army", aside from Abrams clearly wanting a name similar to "Rebellion", for the name of his good guys, in his ANH ripoff film.

3 hours ago, sifth said:

Also to this day, I have no idea why the Resistance, is even called "the Resistance", and not "the Republic Army", aside from Abrams clearly wanting a name similar to "Rebellion", for the name of his good guys, in his ANH ripoff film.

My understanding was that the New Republic in the early days voluntarily chose to disarm and maintain only a tiny standing force, out of some idea that this would encourage peaceful engagement and solutions to problems. This had the side effect of giving the First Order room to expand its power, and by the time of the show the Republic is officially still disarmed... but is "secretly" funding a paramilitary defense force that it pretends is not associated with it.

No, it doesn't make a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

My understanding was that the New Republic in the early days voluntarily chose to disarm and maintain only a tiny standing force, out of some idea that this would encourage peaceful engagement and solutions to problems. This had the side effect of giving the First Order room to expand its power, and by the time of the show the Republic is officially still disarmed... but is "secretly" funding a paramilitary defense force that it pretends is not associated with it.

No, it doesn't make a lot of sense. 

They had a fleet, much of which went boom with the system the First Order took out. My understanding was that there was no appetite for war in the republic, and the First Order focused on non-republic systems.

Those in the Republic who had no illusions about the First Order formed the Resistance, quietly aided by sympathetic elements of the Republic.

Had the republic truly been disarmed, the FI woukd have just waltzed in

18 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It is, in any case, unbelievably stupid and the now-exiled old EU books and stuff handed that all a billion times better.

Exactly, just don't bother thinking about the ST bullshit...

Visions is pretty good, although the whole 'lonely guy hangs out/helps folks at lonely places' is, perhaps, used a bit too much. But the Kurosawa roots of Star Wars are really shown very well here, and they create really striking parallels between the Samurai and the Jedi.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

They had a fleet, much of which went boom with the system the First Order took out. My understanding was that there was no appetite for war in the republic, and the First Order focused on non-republic systems.

I can't find a reference to the Hoisin system being blasted meaning what little fleet there was was destroyed. Instead, the wikis suggest that in the aftermath the Senate survivors decided to disband the "task forces" that existed and send them back to defend their home systems, for *hand wave* reasons. 

Those in the Republic who had no illusions about the First Order formed the Resistance, quietly aided by sympathetic elements of the Republic.

You're right about this one, per the wikis. Maybe there was an accusation within the movies from the First Order that the Resistance was being funded by the Republic? But in fact it really was a sort of rogue operation... but one that was tolerated.

Had the republic truly been disarmed, the FI woukd have just waltzed in

The wikis don't quite support that. There was a military disarmament act which reduced the size of the defense forces to a tenth the size of what was once seen as normally necessary to defend the Republic, so the First Order could very well have walked in but didn't because *hand wave*.

I forgot to watch these after the last episode of What If...? I still hope they do a Star Wars What If? show down the line. and more weird Star Wars stuff in general.

I was thinking the other day they should do a short where Han and Chewbacca are trying to sneak in somewhere that doesn't allow wookies. So they shave Chewbacca and try to pass him off as a human. Only he looks as terrifyingly off-putting as you'd imagine and draws way more attention than a regular wookie would have. 

On 9/23/2021 at 9:25 PM, sifth said:

The fact that we have to use wiki to learn why The Republic doesn't have an army, in and of itself is proof that the movies screwed this up, if you ask me.

Of course, if you have to read up stuff in a wiki - half of which are full with fanon and non-canonical 'theories' making sense of stuff that doesn't make sense - then the creators fucked up things hard. That means the actual work didn't properly explain something people consider important.

That is all different from optional tie-in material.

Three ST movies completely failed to describe the basic political setting of the GFFA in the ST era, much less the relationships of the factions and their leaders. How exactly did Babyface fall in with evil Hologram Dude? Why does the Republic suck? Why does anyone still want to play Empire?

You can come up with your own explanations for all of that ... or they can write comics and books about that (or not). But the bottom line is, they should have addressed all or some of those questions in the movies as such.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I forgot to watch these after the last episode of What If...? I still hope they do a Star Wars What If? show down the line. and more weird Star Wars stuff in general.

I was thinking the other day they should do a short where Han and Chewbacca are trying to sneak in somewhere that doesn't allow wookies. So they shave Chewbacca and try to pass him off as a human. Only he looks as terrifyingly off-putting as you'd imagine and draws way more attention than a regular wookie would have. 

In the pilot of Rebels they try to pass off Zeb as a rare hairless Wookiee 

42 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Maybe that's where the idea came from, I haven't seen it in a while. 

They mention in one of the commentaries for Rebels, that Zeb was designed off of an early artwork, for Chewbacca.

Watched Lego Star Wars: Terrifying Tales tonight on a whim, and let me tell you, for a Lego Halloween story for kids that was better than it had any right to be,

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I assume he’ll be appearing as a force ghost … so, you grow old, you turn to the dark side and end up looking like Sebastian Shaw, then you die and your force ghost is young again, but then your force ghost keeps aging? OK.

Presumably your Force Ghost can look however you want it.

Archived