Star Wars: Now You Will Experience the Full Power of Disney

Corvinus85

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That would retcon a shitload of recent Darth Vader comic books that deal with the interval between ANH and ESB. It also doesn't jibe with the established canon that once Vader learned of this dude named Skywalker (after the Death Star destruction) he put an insane amount of effort into finding him.  

Yeah, I'm aware it would be a major retcon. Might make this show a bit more interesting, as well as give us some vague idea why anyone thought it'd be a good idea to stash Anakin's son ON HIS HOMEWORLD WITH HIS LAST NAME JESUS FUCK

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

As to ret-conning the comics and Vader's obsession with Skywalker after the Death Star...does it have to?  In a major way?  I haven't read all of the comics, so I'm trying to remember how the revelation of Luke went down...but shouldn't there be a way to write it, that Vader did know?  At least from a certain point of view? :P  And then once Luke blew up the Death Star, then it was something Vader had to confront...?

It's in the opening crawl to ESB.

Boba Fett told him. 

45 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I like the idea that every time Vader was starting to wonder about Leia ghost Qui-Gon would appear to distract him.

"I fucked your mom, Anakin. search your feelings, you know it to be true." 

Heavens. 

16 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Yeah, I'm aware it would be a major retcon. Might make this show a bit more interesting, as well as give us some vague idea why anyone thought it'd be a good idea to stash Anakin's son ON HIS HOMEWORLD WITH HIS LAST NAME JESUS FUCK

One insignificant planet in the outer rim that Vader is unlikely to take any interest in because: a) it isn't part of the empire and b) the negative associations it has for him regarding his enslavement and his mothers death. When he first left that planet he didn't return for 10 years. After the death of his mom he'd have even less reason to go back. Vader's a busy guy. 

Even if he did go back, it would have to occur to him to say, "I wonder how Owen and Baru Lars are doing. Maybe I'll pop in for some blue milk because why not?"

11 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

One insignificant planet in the outer rim that Vader is unlikely to take any interest in because: a) it isn't part of the empire and b) the negative associations it has for him regarding his enslavement and his mothers death. When he first left that planet he didn't return for 10 years. After the death of his mom he'd have even less reason to go back. Vader's a busy guy. 

Even if he did go back, it would have to occur to him to say, "I wonder how Owen and Baru Lars are doing. Maybe I'll pop in for some blue milk because why not?"

It's still incredibly stupid. 

Also, Anakin Skywalker is CRAZY famous. Hugely successful, powerful war hero, savior of the Republic, etc. Naming your kid that you want to hide from that dude after that dude? Not smart! I know Luke didn't know, but Obi-Wan tells him all about it after all so that's canonical too.

It's just...dumb. It's dumb and petty and yeah, if you squint it makes sense but it's deeply unsatisfying. 

It's far better to deal with plotholes and things like that by actually making them a reason for happening that way. Which...is pretty tough now! But it'd be nice to do.

1 hour ago, Kalibuster said:

Also, Anakin Skywalker is CRAZY famous. Hugely successful, powerful war hero, savior of the Republic, etc. Naming your kid that you want to hide from that dude after that dude? Not smart! I know Luke didn't know, but Obi-Wan tells him all about it after all so that's canonical too.

It's just...dumb. It's dumb and petty and yeah, if you squint it makes sense but it's deeply unsatisfying. 

It's far better to deal with plotholes and things like that by actually making them a reason for happening that way. Which...is pretty tough now! But it'd be nice to do.

Waaaaitaminit.

Is Luke ever referred to as "Luke Skywalker" before he hears the speech from Obi-Wan Kenobi about how awesome "Anakin Skywalker" was? Does he ever refer to himself as "Luke Skywalker" before the, "I want to be a Jedi like my father" speech?

48 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Is Luke ever referred to as "Luke Skywalker" before he hears the speech from Obi-Wan Kenobi about how awesome "Anakin Skywalker" was. Does he ever refer to himself as "Luke Skywalker" before the, "I want to be a Jedi like my father" speech?

Interesting perspective.  Even then, Obi-Wan was still using the impenetrable alias of Ben Kenobi.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Waaaaitaminit.

Is Luke ever referred to as "Luke Skywalker" before he hears the speech from Obi-Wan Kenobi about how awesome "Anakin Skywalker" was? Does he ever refer to himself as "Luke Skywalker" before the, "I want to be a Jedi like my father" speech?

The first time he mentions his full name is when he rescues Leia. 
Reading the script is pretty neat!
https://www.scriptslug.com/assets/scripts/star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope-1977.pdf

I'm not too bothered by Luke calling himself "Skywalker" as long as no one was looking for him. It's dumb (risky), but there are ways to wave it away. I mean, for starters, there was no reason to tell him too much when he was a kid, so presumably he was known as "Luke Lars" for most of his life, assuming people even bothered using a last name for him (there's certainly no census on Tatooine, and I doubt the schools look closely at the students' origins :P).

Obi-Wan being known as "Ben Kenobi" is far more problematic, since we can assume that Vader did in fact keep looking for him. And unfortunately, that's how Luke calls him from the start:

Obi-Wan Kenobi? I wonder if he means old Ben Kenobi?

That's no doubt a problem, and who knows whether the tv show will address it (with Obi-Wan somehow faking his death at some point). In the meantime, I guess we can only assume that Luke wasn't supposed to share some of the things he knew but just couldn't keep his mouth shut. Thankfully, that's exactly what the first few scenes with him suggest.
Of course, it's still incredibly dumb to share important information with a teenager when you can at least tweak the names a little just in case. In the OT, one could assume that Tatooine was a backwater and that the famous Anakin Skywalker was born somewhere else ; the prequels making it clear that Anakin was in fact from Tatooine opened up that loophole. It also doesn't help that the planet just keeps popping up in StarWars shows, and that The Mandalorian gives the impression that bounty hunters are in fact rather good at finding people.
Oh well, it's only one of a dozen major loopholes throughout the main story...

53 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

and that The Mandalorian gives the impression that bounty hunters are in fact rather good at finding people.

Luckily… no one seems to have one of those little electronic dowsing rods tuned to Luke!!!

14 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

He was incredibly famous. And a hero to the galaxy. No on on earth who is born after famous people live ever gets named after them though right? Just a nonsense argument.

I'd guess there would be hundreds of  Skywalkers around 20 years old on every planet in the galaxy.

8 hours ago, Slurktan said:

He was incredibly famous. And a hero to the galaxy. No on on earth who is born after famous people live ever gets named after them though right? Just a nonsense argument.

I'd guess there would be hundreds of  Skywalkers around 20 years old on every planet in the galaxy.

Pfft no one fucks in star wars

9 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Well I don't about a galaxy far far away, but here on Earth it's the first name of a famous person who's given to newborns.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well I don't about a galaxy far far away, but here on Earth it's the first name of a famous person who's given to newborns.

Yeah, it's not fame that's the issue, it's that they're just really common names. Skywalker and Kenobi are the Smith and Jones of the Galactic Republic. There are hundreds of thousands of them on every human-dominated planet in the galaxy. Hundreds of millions on Coruscant alone.

2 hours ago, felice said:

Yeah, it's not fame that's the issue, it's that they're just really common names. Skywalker and Kenobi are the Smith and Jones of the Galactic Republic. There are hundreds of thousands of them on every human-dominated planet in the galaxy. Hundreds of millions on Coruscant alone.

Yeah, that's what makes the ending of TRoS so poignant- Rey is going to a life of anonymity by being just another skywalker

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Check out your family tree from the 1800s; if it’s like mine it’s sprinkled liberally with entire presidential names.  John Quincy Adams Owsley is a great great great great grandfather of mine or some such.

And if you’re wondering… yes, the Owsley known as the White Rabbit in the 60s LSD scene is also in my tree.

Obi-Wan Kenobi’: Darth Maul Scenes Cut, Luke Skywalker Replaced During Creative Overhaul

Sources note that Filoni and Favreau were concerned about Obi-Wan covering similar ground as Mandalorian — the Lone Wolf and Cub-like story of Kenobi coming out of hiding to protect a child-aged Luke Skywalker. Maul was one of the villains who would participate in the hunt for the pair; Vader was nowhere to be found in this faraway galaxy at this stage, according to those with knowledge of the project. Also, Filoni and Favreau pushed Chow and the show to “go bigger,” according to several sources. In any case, those concerns made their way to Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy, who pressed the pause button. (Joby Harold was eventually hired as the show’s new writer.)

On 3/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, felice said:

That honestly seems like the kind of joke Family Guy should have made during their parody episodes...

27 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So wait… the original plan had Luke actually traveling around with Obi Wan?!!? 

I seems so, or they were gonna retcon Rebels. If maul knows Obi and Luke are on Tatooine Rebels plot with Maul searching desperately for Obi-Wan's location makes little sense.

But the idea of Old Ben taking Luke off-world also seems really odd.

I'm curious what idea Filoni had that they felt allowed them to use Vader as the villain.

Archived