Star Wars: Now You Will Experience the Full Power of Disney

Corvinus85

12 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Even the Phantom Menace had six weeks between US and UK release dates

These days you can basically put finishing touches on a film right up to the week of its release and send it out to theaters on a high speed dedicated network connection.

TPM came out in the days where physical film got projected on screen. The Phantom Menace was just over 2h 15m in length. If a 35mm film reel maxes out at 20 minutes, that's 7 reels weighing about 80 lbs combined. You have to print, package and ship that mass to every screen that shows that film. You can imagine the amount of work an international release would take. 

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

TPM came out in the days where physical film got projected on screen. The Phantom Menace was just over 2h 15m in length. If a 35mm film reel maxes out at 20 minutes, that's 7 reels weighing about 80 lbs combined. You have to print, package and ship that mass to every screen that shows that film. You can imagine the amount of work an international release would take. 

And presumably they wanted to reuse the same film reels in different countries, so they had to wait till the local release was over before they'd be available to stick on boats to send around the world.

8 hours ago, felice said:

And presumably they wanted to reuse the same film reels in different countries, so they had to wait till the local release was over before they'd be available to stick on boats to send around the world.

I don't know how much that happened between theaters but I could see that going on in multiplexes for sure. You have a film playing on two screens with the start times staggered by some interval. Once reel one is finished on screen "a" you have "X" amount of time to rewind it and get it over to screen "b" and so on. Maybe there's a rights issue that complicates that; I don't know.

Domestically (US & Canada), TPM was on 2,970 screens its 1st weekend; peaking at 3,126 screens on its 6th weekend (according to Box Office Mojo). I'm guessing but I would imagine those prints don't start shipping until maybe 1-2 weeks before the premiere(?). You can imagine what a massive undertaking that is. 

ETA:

or... https://www.sprocketschool.org/wiki/Interlocking

Entertainment Weekly is releasing a listicle of the top 100 Star Wars characters in honor of May 4. They rank Assaj Ventress 5 places BEHIND Paige Tico. I will spare you my rant. But I hope there will be YouTube videos about it. 

16 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

They rank Assaj Ventress 5 places BEHIND Paige Tico.

I had to look up who Paige Tico was.  I'm guessing it's just because she was in one of the movies.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

I had to look up who Paige Tico was.  I'm guessing it's just because she was in one of the movies.

Did you really? when she was such a full fledged character with so much impact on the story and many meaningful ties to other full fledged characters! My, I just can’t believe you had to look her up…! :lol: 

10 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I didn't  look her up but I had to think about it for a bit. Yeah, that's B.S.

Apparently her bomber was called the Cobalt Hammer. The pilot of the Cobalt Hammer was Nix Jerd. 

Now you know. 

Now I get why she’s in the top 50!

I do want to be excited for this, the story of Obi-wan’s journey to hermithood could be interesting. But honestly there are too many reasons for me to be fearful:

- being burnt by Bobby Fett

- Im done with this story, who cares any more about any of this?

- some of those character designs and effects are quite ropey.

- I have no confidence Disney knows what it’s doing with Star Wars.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I do want to be excited for this, the story of Obi-wan’s journey to hermithood could be interesting. But honestly there are too many reasons for me to be fearful:

Who's this?

I've got high hopes for this. I think there's a lot of storytelling potential. Seeing Obi-wan keep watch over young Luke, Vader's obsession with finding Obi-wan, the Jedi having to resist the temptation to help people because they have to stay hidden...

Boba Fett wasnt good but the fourth and fifth episodes were brilliant. Disney are hit and miss, hopefully this will be a hit. The potential is definitely there.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

All of these things...

But dammit... they do know how to make a trailer.  :(  

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

All of these things...

But dammit... they do know how to make a trailer.  :(  

I'm pretty sure they write, shoot, edit the trailers and then look into making a pilot script.

Archived