Star Wars: Now You Will Experience the Full Power of Disney

Corvinus85

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Eh... I think you're projecting your own habits on the majority.  Most people really will sign up and just not cancel.  Its how fitness centers, tanning salons, etc build their business model.  They make their money off the people who sign up but then don't use it.  

I punched in a Gamepass code that came with my new Xbox controller the other day for a 14 day trial. There was actually an options box, defaulted on, that said "enable auto-renew and get a free month!" They have no shame about this.

3 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I think you're spot on, Deadlines. 

I read this morning that Disney has been banking on streaming subscriptions and the number of new subscriptions are well below expectations. I don't think they realize that most people will be seasonal subscribers, not year around. I have kids, so we keep it, but we pick up and drop HBO, Starz, Hulu, etc to catch up and then move on to another service. No need to carry them all plus Amazon and Netflix. Their model isn't realistic.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Eh... I think you're projecting your own habits on the majority.  Most people really will sign up and just not cancel.  Its how fitness centers, tanning salons, etc build their business model.  They make their money off the people who sign up but then don't use it.  

Nevertheless, D+ subscriber growth is slowing and the parks business isn't doing so hot. The Rogue Squadron announcement came right before the earnings release. I don't think that's a coincidence. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/disney-revenue-falls-short-streaming-business-suffers-2021-11-10/

For Comparison: Disney's "Diluted earnings per share (EPS) from continuing operations"

2018: +$8.36

2019: +$6.27

2020: -$1.57 (a $2.8 billion dollar loss)

2021: +$1.11

Has anyone else seen that they reuploaded the Star Wars The Old Republic cinematic trailers again in higher resolution for the 10 year anniversary?

You can think about the game what you want (I myself am especially irritated about how dirty they did Revan), but they always had the most amazing trailers.

13 minutes ago, Toth said:

Has anyone else seen that they reuploaded the Star Wars The Old Republic cinematic trailers again in higher resolution for the 10 year anniversary?

You can think about the game what you want (I myself am especially irritated about how dirty they did Revan), but they always had the most amazing trailers.

still play the hell out of this game. Couldn't care less about the PVE or story, it's the PVP that keeps bringing me back-- but yeah, SWTOR cinematics are awesome.

On 11/8/2021 at 9:50 PM, Myrddin said:

Huh. Seeing that Cleopatra is the only film she has in pre-production (unless WW3 is being fast tracked), I wonder if the script is having issues.

I was looking forward to Jenkins directing this, given her dad was a fighter pilot and her interest in planes. I hope Disney isn't getting cold feet because of WW2 underperforming. 

It does look like Wonder Woman 3 is being fast-tracked, so Cleopatra is likely to shoot in early 2022 and WW3 in late 2022/early 2023 (and that's assuming the studio is happy for her to oversee post on one movie whilst shooting another), which of course makes it impossible to shoot Rogue Squadron for December 2023 release. It could be just a delay of a year, but maybe two is more realistic.

She was really good in The Voyeurs. Glad to see Sabine making the jump to live action.

It'd be cool to involve Tiya Sircar in the show somewhere. At least a cameo, but I'd rather see her in a larger role. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2021 at 12:19 AM, polishgenius said:

I can't imagine it would be good for either Patty Jenkins or the film to shoot three massive-scale, lots of post-production films in a row like that without a break. Probably are better off hoping for a longer break tbh.

Bit of a necro, but Jenkins is now off Cleopatra, with Kari Skogland directing. Jenkins's plan is to now do Wonder Woman 3 and then Rogue Squadron, which clears that timeline up.

So when are they going to make movies and shows like that?

I enjoy Mandoverse, but the tone is too serial based (yes, I know Lucas' inspiration for the originals were old Flash Gordan serials) where every episode Mando is asked to do a task for a reward that progresses the story to the next quest. A KotOR series/movie like this would be a welcome addition.

9 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I enjoy Mandoverse, but the tone is too serial based (yes, I know Lucas' inspiration for the originals were old Flash Gordan serials) where every episode Mando is asked to do a task for a reward that progresses the story to the next quest. A KotOR series/movie like this would be a welcome addition.

They'll do a series like this when people stop thinking the last jedi shit on their childhood

Bah. Those people are terrible.  Issues there may have been with The Last Jedi, but Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker were far, far greater travesties...

(I think the stuff is bad, and I hope the Mando-verse helps ret-con a lot of it...I know, unlikely...but I also don't think it destroyed my childhood.  That's bush league stuff to think that...)

33 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

A good example of that style in an ongoing TV show is Arcane, which cost $10 million per hour to make. Those kind of cinematics are only possible because of the insane cost of video games these days and they tend to be relatively short (and Arcane only exists because Riot Games self-funded it with their effectively infinite profits from League of Legends).

So don't hold your breath soon, although Arcane's giga-success may have moved the needle on streamers thinking that expensive animation might actually be worthwhile.

55 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

They'll do a series like this when people stop thinking the last jedi shit on their childhood

So, 'never'? At its best, TLJ was never as good as the KOTR cinematics. 

32 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Bah. Those people are terrible.  Issues there may have been with The Last Jedi, but Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker were far, far greater travesties...

(I think the stuff is bad, and I hope the Mando-verse helps ret-con a lot of it...I know, unlikely...but I also don't think it destroyed my childhood.  That's bush league stuff to think that...)

No chance. 

29 minutes ago, Werthead said:

A good example of that style in an ongoing TV show is Arcane, which cost $10 million per hour to make. Those kind of cinematics are only possible because of the insane cost of video games these days and they tend to be relatively short (and Arcane only exists because Riot Games self-funded it with their effectively infinite profits from League of Legends).

So don't hold your breath soon, although Arcane's giga-success may have moved the needle on streamers thinking that expensive animation might actually be worthwhile.

When people talk about the cost of the final seasons of GoT, what they leave out is that, whatever that number is, it doesn't include digital and physical assets from previous seasons, which would have been considerable.

The second season of Arcane will either be cheaper, because "the factory has been built" and a lot of the assets already exist from season 1, or it'll be much bigger. 

I honestly think one of the reasons why so much of the Mandalorian and the Book of Boba Fett take place on Tattoine is because the sets have largely been built and the volume renderings already exist. Coincidentally, Kenobi takes place on Tattoine. Guaranteed Asoka and Andor will visit there once or twice. That's when I'll throw something heavy at my Tee Vee.

Archived