A Gardening Thread

Mlle. Zabzie

1 hour ago, Toth said:

Well, tomato and pepper harvest had been very bountiful these last months: https://i.imgur.com/K0rTpTv.jpg

Is you entire grow operation indoors? I can't imagine either tomato or pepper plants yielding anything this time of year.

Also, if so why are you denying all those cute hedgehogs their sweet vegetation? 

Hello gardeners!

Mrs Gabriel and I have been busting our asses this planting season. We built two raised 8' by 3' beds, where we've planted herbs, lettuce, beans, and strawberries.

Then we set up a separate 24' by 24' plot (quartered with paths through the middle and along the edge) and put up a 4 foot wire fence around it. In there, we've planted tomatoes, peppers, basil, garlic and probably some other stuff because the Fedco catalog is like a candy store to Mrs Gabriel.

We also planted a couple of sunflowers by our back porch, which were growing like gangbusters until the fucking rabbits ate the leaves off them. This may be war. If only rabbits ate bittersweet.

• 3 weeks later...

A little late this year, but I've got 19 various types of pepper plants  in six pots and six tomato plants in the ground. Plus some other random shit. Hopefully in a few months I'll be making the best homemade salsa.

@Spockydog, I've got one extra pot. If I throw a bunch of seeds in there will it actually work, given the really volatile summer weather in Minnesota? 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

A little late this year, but I've got 19 various types of pepper plants  in six pots and six tomato plants in the ground. Plus some other random shit. Hopefully in a few months I'll be making the best homemade salsa.

Probably should have made a picture of my recent harvest when I filled up a whole tupperware box with peppers. Just as a kind of target goal. XD

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Spockydog, I've got one extra pot. If I throw a bunch of seeds in there will it actually work, given the really volatile summer weather in Minnesota? 

What types of peppers? I can buy a scotch bonnet hot pepper sauce for about $2 US that is great.  Plus the actual joy of no gardening. 

3 hours ago, Toth said:

Probably should have made a picture of my recent harvest when I filled up a whole tupperware box with peppers. Just as a kind of target goal. XD

Last year I easily harvested over 100 peppers.

17 minutes ago, maarsen said:

What types of peppers? I can buy a scotch bonnet hot pepper sauce for about $2 US that is great.  Plus the actual joy of no gardening. 

Bah, gardening is half the fun. I went out and counted:

Six jalapenos  

Four hot bananas

Three bells 

Three that look like bells but claim to be hot

Then one each of some random things called Hungarian hot wax, Italian long hot and Worlds hottest Caribbean 

Mixed them up in a way to try and increase the heat on everything. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dude, I'd love to help, but I'm basically a brown-thumbed noob when it comes to anything other than the Devil's Lettuce.

Just recently, I managed to rapidly and brutally kill my 4-month-old NASA-bound tomato plant by using Tomorite in my nutrient solution instead of my regular fertilizer. Killed that thing overnight. I've also had my struggles with peppers.

I can, however, tell you everything you need to know to grow a pound-and-a-half of top quality weed in a 3ft grow tent in a little under three months. :pimp:

30 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Dude, I'd love to help, but I'm basically a brown-thumbed noob when it comes to anything other than the Devil's Lettuce.

I can, however, tell you everything you need to know to grow a pound-and-a-half of top quality weed in a 3ft grow tent in a little under three months. :pimp:

What do you think I was talking about lol...

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

What do you think I was talking about lol...

Tomatoes and peppers. LOL.

Okay, got it now...

Growing a cannabis plant is easy. I mean, really fucking easy. Growing a cannabis plant that yields any kind of smokable material is something else entirely.

Yeah, it's a weed, and it will grow anywhere. But if you don't give it what it needs, it's really not going to work.

If you're talking about just tossing a few seeds in a pot filled with soil, that's fine, but if you leave them all growing in the same container it's gonna get a bit Lord of the Flies down in that rootzone. You can always chuck a seeds few in, and then after a couple of weeks choose the strongest seedling and pluck the rest.

In terms of Minnesota, what's the weather like? Ideally, you want a day time temperature around 25c, 15c at night. Constant heat above 30-32c, and you'll be struggling. You'll want humidity no higher than 60% during flowering, otherwise you run a very real risk of your crop being destroyed by mould.

Of course, if you get a grow tent and put it indoors, you can automate everything to provide perfect, chef's kiss conditions, allowing anything you plant to thrive. It's not expensive to set up, and you might be able to get a medical licence allowing you to grow without fear of the rozzers.

Edited by Spockydog

On 6/25/2022 at 6:16 PM, Spockydog said:

In terms of Minnesota, what's the weather like? Ideally, you want a day time temperature around 25c, 15c at night. Constant heat above 30-32c, and you'll be struggling. You'll want humidity no higher than 60% during flowering, otherwise you run a very real risk of your crop being destroyed by mould.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Weather in Minnesota is a running joke the whole country is in on. It can be -50F in January and over 100F in July. We'll regularly see weather fluctuation in a single week of over 40F degrees. It's not an exaggeration to say you can have all four seasons in a week here. And it's humid as hell in the in the summer. 

Oddly we're one of the most successful agricultural states in the US. 

And get that fucking "u" out of "mold."

We are harvesting black raspberries and the first strawberries right now. I always dreamed of having our own strawberries as a kid. This is our third try growing them and the first crop of real, juicy, sweet fruit. This is pretty awesome.

Northern Wisconsin-

Have added 2 plum trees to pollinate each other aways from the house and rose bush near the patio to add with some perennials.

Has been a chore keeping everything watered as we've had a good mini draught for this area. Have barely had to mow last several weeks it's been so dry.

Have decided to start an asparagus garden next growing cycle!

Eta: Expecting a banner harvest of apples this season after last year's poor yield. The tree is chock full of little green balls already. The deer will be treated to the majority of these but we help ourselves to some as well.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a slow harvest year for my peppers, the weather has been terrible, but I picked my first crossbred jalapeno this morning to cook with my scrambled eggs and...holy shit these bad boys are going to be hot. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/sep/30/boston-bans-artificial-turf-toxic-forever-chemicals-pfas

Boston bans artificial turf in parks due to toxic ‘forever chemicals’

The city joins a growing number across the US in limiting the use of artificial turf made with dangerous PFAS compounds.

Boston’s mayor, Michelle Wu, has ordered no new artificial turf to be installed in city parks, making Boston the largest municipality in a small but growing number around the nation to limit use of the product because it contains dangerous chemicals.

All artificial turf is made with toxic PFAS compounds and some is still produced with ground-up tires that can contain heavy metals, benzene, VOCs and other carcinogens that can present a health threat. The material also emits high levels of methane, a potent greenhouse gas, and sheds microplastics and other chemicals into waterways.

“We already know there are toxic chemicals in the products, so why would we continue to utilize them and have children roll around on them when we have a safe alternative, which is natural grass?” asked Sarah Evans, an environmental health professor for the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

ARTICLE CONTINUES

This year we only grew some peppers and some tomatoes in our veggie garden. Out front we tried to grow some flowers from the seed and we really failed except for one spot which had way too many flowers growing out of it. Since we did so horribly, we dug out the garden and my Dad put some Bermuda there to grow in the following weeks. So - next year we will have planters sitting there and maybe a statue. I wanna get one of an angel; there might be one over at Big Lots.

On 10/1/2022 at 12:02 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Harvest Time!

The kitchen has been a small salsa factory. About 20 mason jars (so far) canned from the ripened tomato, serrenoe and jalapenos.

Same boat. About 50 peppers of various types harvested in the last week, along with maybe a dozen tomatoes. The batch of salsa I made a few days ago was so fucking spicy. Guess one of the belle peppers lived up to the hype as the hottest pepper in the Caribbean. The batch I just made was also quite spicy, but not painfully so (4 small hot peppers, 1/2 green belle, half an onion, minced garlic, cilantro, vinegar, lime juice and four tomatoes with some fresh sugar and salt).