Sign in to follow this  
Mlle. Zabzie

A Gardening Thread

Send me some of that rain please!  That’s what I have to say.  And I am sorry about the Dahlias.  They are such temperamental little divas, but so beautiful when they thrive.

6 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

We got 13 inches of rain in the last seven days, and my lovely dahlias that I have babied, prayed over, sacrificed small animals to...well, they're not doing so great.  I am SICK.  ...

... So how's your garden doing?

I am so sorry about your dahlias! I hope they rally and come around!

Living in an apartment with no outdoor space sort of eliminates weather worries for me.  My mint is doing fabulously! I do not want to jinx myself but I think I have perfected snipping some bits off every week for mint tea and keeping it replenishing itself.  My basil on the other hand is a bit undecided.  It was doing great but then the other week it abruptly halted its enthusiastic growing and is now on the fence about things.  I will continue to observe it.  I got the beginnings of a tomato plant that is supposed to do well in a container and will supposedly grow cute little tomatoes.  We shall see.  I successfully transferred it to a larger container and I've installed a support stick and marked its current height so I can appreciate if it grows at all this week.  Fingers crossed!

I will also request that you send your rain up here.  I absolutely love rain and we've hardly had any.  We are way behind this year.

We have an old saying that for a farmer, the weather is never right. Same goes for gardeners, I find. We had plenty of rain, after three exceptionally dry years and finally, finally everything is growing as it should without incessant watering. However, the humidity has also greatly favored the growth of funghi and so the peaches I planted last year and two of my apple trees have a fungus that curls up the leaves (curly top it is called, I believe). Which sucks because now it's too late for preventive treatment and I'll have to wait until next year and hope they survive. On the plus side, our cherries are coming along very well, the pear trees that I planted 3 years ago are bearing very promising signs of fruitification which wasn't the case in the dry years and the quinces and apricots I planted last year are growing very well. 

The mint that I thought I had razed from one of our raised beds has made a strong comeback with the clear intention to conquer and rule the entire bed. Regular mint tea just barely keeps it in check.

My dahlias are actually doing okay.  I lost 3 dahlias that were rotted, but the rest of them are hanging in, blooming, starting to bloom, etc., and are looking good.  I've had to spray them with a 3in1 - the deep south is much different from the climates where dahlias seem to thrive.  I hope they'll pull through and do well; I just love them.

@lady narcissa, you got some bad weather in your area this week!  I was thinking about you - hope you dodged it and all was well.  @Alarich II, I love that saying about the weather.  It's so true!  

1 hour ago, Elder Sister said:

...you got some bad weather in your area this week!  I was thinking about you - hope you dodged it and all was well.

Yes, it was completely fine in the city, all the action was out in the suburbs. Tornados *knock on wood* typically don't make it to the downtown area along Lake Michigan, they swerve or break up. There is speculation the heat put out by the concrete and buildings of the downtown somehow contribute to this.  In any case, we just had some heavy rain and lightning down here. And of course, living in a high rise building with no outdoor space, my plants were completely fine!

Actually my tomato plant is growing gangbusters.  I marked its height at the beginning of last week and then measured again this week and it grew 4 inches in the week.  Which seems pretty good for a what is supposed to be small tomato plant that isn't supposed to grow too high.  Will it actually grow tomatoes?  That is this summers entertainment!

Glad your dahlias seem to be pulling through!