Comeuppance for Jaime and Cersei

Moiraine Sedai

Just now, Angel Eyes said:

That typically doesn’t happen in Westeros unless you have a fanatic like Baelor. Not even King Aerys I, who is practically cargo-shipped with books, never set aside his wife. 

I know this. My comment was a rhetorical one. 

@Allardyce said that Cersei didn't owe Robert anything because he was unfaithful. Cersei could have asked Robert to dissolve the marriage to free her from any obligations instead she chose to create a succession crisis.

5 hours ago, Anck Su Namun said:

Death or the wall.  Those are the punishment options in Westeros.  Cersei can't go to the wall.  That leaves death.  Jaime, OTOH, can go to the wall.  I'd rather cremate him with dragon fire though. 

No one in the books has killed more innocents than these two deciding to bone each other while cucking a King.  I find the idea of Jaimes redemption to be repellant in the extreme the man is responsible for the devastation of the Riverlands and has the audacity to talk about bringing justice or such tripe to the lands.  That path is closed to him after causing the lawlessness.

59 minutes ago, Darksnider05 said:

No one in the books has killed more innocents than these two deciding to bone each other while cucking a King.  I find the idea of Jaimes redemption to be repellant in the extreme the man is responsible for the devastation of the Riverlands and has the audacity to talk about bringing justice or such tripe to the lands.  That path is closed to him after causing the lawlessness.

He’s on the way to an appointment with Lady Stoneheart. Unless there’s a miracle, which I’m assuming there’s not since GRRM isn’t the type for miracles, Jaime’s up for a short drop and a sudden stop.

31 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

He’s on the way to an appointment with Lady Stoneheart. Unless there’s a miracle, which I’m assuming there’s not since GRRM isn’t the type for miracles, Jaime’s up for a short drop and a sudden stop.

Of course there will be a miracle. His antagonists/villains are constantly handed miracles. It's cringe as hell by this point but I doubt GRRM will stop.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:51 AM, Moiraine Sedai said:

The 5 Kings are the ones primarily guilty for the war of the five kings. But Jaime, Catelyn, Tywin, and Cersei are partially to blame.  Tywin, Catelyn, Robb, Balon, Renly, and Joffrey have all been punished. In Cat's case, worse than death.  What will happen to the Lannister twins, in your humble opinion?

Well, we know what happens to them. They die 

On 3/7/2021 at 10:29 AM, Arthur Peres said:

Disagree right from the start. With the exeption of Stannis and Balon, neither of the kings choose the war but were pushed into it.

Renly went into war for his own survival.

Robb went to war after having his family being arrested, executed, and being summoned to become a prisoner himself.

Joffrey was just reacting to the chaos around him, and was a minor, his grandfather started it all and tossed him into the mess.

Cersei and Jaime are the biggest responsables for the war, then  comes and Stannis, Littlefinger  and Lysa, the ones that were capable to stop it but let it go for their own agenda, and last  Ned, Tywin and Catelyn.

About their punishment... the twins can have the Theon treatment that Ramsey was giving, they deserve it far more than him.

I could agree with you about Joffrey because he was a child but the assassination attempt on Bran was one of the issues which caused the war.  I am not willing to give him complete forgiveness because he sent the assassin.  

Robb had a choice.  He could have gone to King's Landing and obeyed the royal summons.  

14 hours ago, Dofs said:

Jaime losing his hand was his punishment. This is even literally spelled out in the books. Same with Cersei and her Walk.

Not enough punishment for tearing apart the kingdom. It's not even enough for her off-hand evil doings. like giving Falyse Stokeworth to Qyburn just off the top of my head. Oh and the way the ruined the blue bard.

I mean really. Chaining a guy up and torturing him simply because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time? Cutting off a nip and poking out an eye is hardcore. Cersei walking around naked and being insulted for an afternoon... Is that really enough? Do readers really believe that?

On 3/12/2021 at 2:06 PM, Sir Tumbleweed said:

Not enough punishment for tearing apart the kingdom. It's not even enough for her off-hand evil doings. like giving Falyse Stokeworth to Qyburn just off the top of my head. Oh and the way the ruined the blue bard.

I mean really. Chaining a guy up and torturing him simply because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time? Cutting off a nip and poking out an eye is hardcore. Cersei walking around naked and being insulted for an afternoon... Is that really enough? Do readers really believe that?

Well, it was definitely a punishment as Cersei thought about people she has wronged during her walk (saw some random people as them). I believe it was Martin indicating towards some sort of karma, he did exactly the same with Jaime when he literally spelled out that Jaime lost a hand that killed Aerys, pushed Bran and that he used to make Cersei good. But it's not like Cersei is going to pull a Jaime and become a better human anyway. So it's not going to matter really. 

On 3/7/2021 at 8:19 PM, ATaleofSalt&Onions said:

Robert rebelled because Aerys murdered Ned’s father and brother and then demanded that Ned and Robert be executed as well. How is that Robert’s fault? Was he supposed to just resign himself to being executed for no reason? And even then Jon Arryn is the one that actually the one who started the rebellion when he called his banners.

Aerys had the right to do that if Rickard, Brandon, Jon Arryn were plotting against him.  Robert and Ned were also deserving of punishment if they knew what their elders were up to and played along. 

18 minutes ago, Allardyce said:

Aerys had the right to do that if Rickard, Brandon, Jon Arryn were plotting against him.  Robert and Ned were also deserving of punishment if they knew what their elders were up to and played along. 

But there was no evidence of plotting, non whatsoever

On 3/14/2021 at 2:19 AM, Dofs said:

Well, it was definitely a punishment as Cersei thought about people she has wronged during her walk (saw some random people as them). I believe it was Martin indicating towards some sort of karma, he did exactly the same with Jaime when he literally spelled out that Jaime lost a hand that killed Aerys, pushed Bran and that he used to make Cersei good. But it's not like Cersei is going to pull a Jaime and become a better human anyway. So it's not going to matter really. 

So Cersei and Jaime cause the death of tens of  thousands and the destruction of the realm one is forced to walk naked in front of a city and the other gets his hands chopped off and we call it tabs?? It doesn't really sounds fair.

On 3/7/2021 at 1:34 PM, Allardyce said:

I can forgive Cersei but not Jaime.  The death of her own children is ample punishment, in my opinion.  It pays for her sins.  I never held their sexual affairs against them.  That is, as I say, their own affair.  However, it became a problem after Bran witnessed them having at it.  The sexual affair itself was not the problem.  It's the cover up that caused much of the problem.  

Cersei, Jaime, and Robert are all terrible people.  Robert was unfaithful and there is no moral obligation on Cersei's part to be faithful to him.  She can rebel against the double standard in secret and that is not wrong.  Robert was willing to murder an innocent girl who was pregnant when he began to perceive her as a threat.  He let the murder of two children go unpunished because it served his interest.  If the Targ-haters won't hold that against him, they should not hold it against Cersei even if she had Robert's bastards murdered.  They were an affront and a threat to her own children.  She could murder all of his bastards and that won't come to the number of children who died in Robert's own rebellion.  Cersei and the Lannisters took the throne from the Baratheons.  I don't hold that against her.  Robert took the throne from Aerys and his heirs.  Rules and traditions were broken.  The Lannisters could do the same to the Baratheons and it would not be immoral.  The Baratheons were arguably more harmful to the kingdom compared to King Aerys II.

Whilw i'm not the biggest fan of Jaime he's a better person than Cersei(low bar i know). Hw at least has things that make me understand why others like him such as his love for Tyrion and the fact he treats his men pretty well. Cersei is pretty much a total monster so i'd wish worse on her than i would on Jaime.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:45 AM, Walter White said:

How horrible for Catelyn to arrest the men who all evidence suggested had tried to kill her son and hiw awful of Robb to try to free his unjustly imprisoned father.

On the evidence of somebody she trusted blindly, after she told Ned not to do the same with Robert.

Archived